Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

641 results found

1. Adobe color themes bug

The "Open Color Themes Panel" button in Swatches opens a broken panel that cannot be resized to see it's web view. It can only be resized vertically. Seems like it went unchecked and shipped.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Replace objects with an object

example:
    I have created a circle with text in it, and grouped it all together, however I have a pattern of Circles, and only want some of the circles in the pattern to look like the one I have created and grouped, so I can click the ones I want to replace, and then with a tool, select the group I've created, and it will replace the ones I've selected. Not too sure if this feature exists, though it would be a beneficial tool to have.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended solution for this is to use Global Edit feature.

Copy the object you want to replace with, then select one of many copies you want to replace and use Select > Start Global Edit command.

Using Shift, unmark those copies you don’t want to affect.

Isolate the targeted copy.

Paste the copied object and position it correctly relatively the old object.

Delete the old object.

Exit the isolation and end Global Edit.

It may sound convoluted at first, but once you master the method, you’d be able to easily replace almost anything.

Global Edit has its limitations: it doesn’t work for images, text objects, clipped masks, linked objects, and third-party plugins.

Read more about it here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/global-edit.html

3. Ability to set line width based on the angle of the line

I'd like to be able to set the line width based on the angle of the line, so if the line width is 10 pt on horizontal lines, and you set it so it's 90% of that on vertical lines, it automatically sets it to 95% on 45 degree lines etc.

In the example image you'd just have to draw a circle, set it to a 10 pt line and then set the thickest point (vertical) to 400% of the thinnest part (the horizontal).

The controls for this would be simple, all you need to be able to do is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This effect can be achieved with Calligraphy brushes. Set one up in Brushes panel, use angle 0, change the size to be the thickest weight you want, and use the roundness value to change it at thinner horizontal parts. If you want 4x difference, set it to 25% of the set size. Done — apply it to any path you want.

4. When moving objects with the arrow keys, hide its bounding box and borders

When moving objects arrownd with the mouse, its bounding box and borders hide, but when moving them with arrow keys, they don'.
    This would be very usefull when in need of aligning by eye

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Alternative 'Object width/height' and gap options under Effect > Transform > Move

A couple of checkboxes in that panel for the dynamic size of the object could be handy. A gap value would also be great for the static gaps around multiplied objects. I've experienced 2 similar cases where that option could save me time:

1) Create an object and use 'Effect > Transform' panel to create copies, giving a horizontal or vertical move value. Then edit the object and change its bounding box. They either overlap or the gap between them widens.

2) Create the left half of a graphic you want dynamically be mirrored onto the right side. To use…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Automated/AI-powered file names in Asset Export

Asset Export needs more options to automate and/or use variables. Designers often need to export large groups of files (e.g. variations of a logo in multiple colours and sizes, with/without a claim or other element) which then have to be tediously and manually renamed and sorted to reflect things like size, color.
    It would be great if there were more option to automate the output by adding variables such as dimensions custom text fields, names of swatches used, etc This could even be an area where the use of AI might be useful to automatically detect the content and create…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Control panel like that of Indesign

I've always liked Indesign, especially its control panel top bar.

I was wondering but is it not possible to have a control bar in Illustrator like the one in Indesign?
    - bigger
    - With More controls
    - Dynamics
    - By inserting quick links to many features that Illustrator makes available to us but every time you have to go and get them from the menus / submenus and you never remember where to go.
    guy:
    - object / path / path path
    - object / path / offset
    - object / path / add points
    - object / weave
    -…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Accessibility of tutorial videos, for users with hearing impairment

I am a new creative cloud user and need to use Illustrator as part of my university course so wanted to access the learn ‘how to’ tutorials, but found the video tutorials for Illustrator does not have ‘closed captions’ nor printable version of the text. I checked some of the other Adobe programs within creative cloud and they are the same, so I contacted Adobe online chat who sent me on to an online dedicated adviser. I was then told no accessibility options available for the tutorial videos.

Please could you pass my feedback to Adobe….

Accessibility on the learn…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Multiple Record Layout" data merge feature.

I love the "Multiple Record Layout" data merge feature in InDesign. However my merged documents are often opened in Illustrator by the end user to make changes. Currently my client wants a full vector file for laser cutting shapes with custom etched names. They do not translate well with strokes becoming their own object and lines of text disconnecting. The idea to data merge 200+ names in IN makes perfect sense, but in this case the client asked they be done in AI and each name and custom info needs to be brought in by hand manually one name at…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a way for us to scale multiple fonts at the same time.

For example, I'm working on a document and I have a header, sub-headers, and paragraph text that are all different font sizes. I would like for there to be a way to incrementally, increase all fonts selected, no matter the selection.

Also, incrementally increasing/decreasing a group of fonts that are selected along with other layers should have no effect on other layers.

A prime example of where this feature would be useful is if I were designing a report or a table and I want to increase the font size in the header and line items without selecting each layer…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Do not change the order of characters in the Glyphs panel

Problem Description:
    If I've highlighted a character, and choose a different variation of that character in the Glyphs panel, the newly chosen variation moves to the left of the glyphs, changing the order of all the glyphs. This is really annoying. If, instead of the order of the glyphs changing, the blue highlight just moved on to the selected glyph, that would be far less confusing.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Select a character in some text
    2. Open the Glyphs panel to see the variations of that character
    3. Select a different variation

Actual Result:
    The ordering of the variations…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Shift + click on menu items (File, Edit, Object, etc) w/o closing menu after click

Whenever I use the menu items (File, Edit, Object, Text, Select, Effects, View, etc) sometimes you go into a submenu, and select one option, e.g:
    1. Go to View Menu
    2. Select Perspective Grid sub-menu
    3. Select Hide guides
    4. Go to View Menu (again)
    5. Select the Perspective Grid sub-menu (again)
    6. Find and click my option (eg. "Snap to guides")

Now if I could for example "shift+click" to keep the menus open after the click:
    1. Go to View Menu
    2. Select Perspective Grid sub-menu
    3. Shift+click "hide guides"
    4. Click "snap to grid" (without shift when I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. The "Select Same" function including points as a choice

As of now, the Select menu includes "Same" and "Object". With a point not being an object, it would be under the "Same" submenu where it only has the option of selecting shapes and/or texts under certain conditions.

If in need to select multiple points, we could use the Direct Selection tool to select each of the points, but similar to shapes and texts, it would be helpful to have a one-click solution to select the points.

Some conditions to include (similar to "Select >> Same >> Fill Color") could be:
    - the points having to be on a certain…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ai Feels Old and Unintuitive Next to New Adobe Products

Illustrator feels old. I find myself trying to do more and more vector work in XD or Photoshop simply because Ai feels like something from the 90s. There is very little consistency in how things work in Ai versus the other adobe apps. Swatches from CC are endlessly frustrating. Too many tools appear to do the same thing slightly differently. The app seems to assume everything will eventually be printed.
    I know this is very general, but perhaps a new vector creation tool is needed in the lineup. I've tried Draw and Sketch on the iPad but they also feel…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Power Efficiency

Since I've moved to working remotely entirely, I've noticed how quickly using several Adobe programs burns through my laptop battery. I'm running a brand new 16" Macbook Pro with the latest MacOS Catalina version, and I'm lucky if I get an hour and a half of battery life while running InDesign and Illustrator at the same time. When I review what is using the most battery life, my Mac lists InDesign, Illustrator, and Core Sync as the main culprits.

Now, I understand that these programs at times are fairly graphically intensive, but the battery life I'm getting is absymal, and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow the bullet behavior to be turned ON or OFF

I would very much like to have the option to turn the Bullet behavior ON or OFF. - Part of why I use Illustrator as much as I do is that I like to have complete control of my design. I use InDesign in a very limited, specific way, even with book layout, i.e. TOC & pagination. - For example, I'm trying to make headers for a short PDF and I can't add numbers before my headers without loosing control of the styling. They've been gobbled up by the bullet functionality and I can't even change the color. I can't…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Feedback on New Snap to Glyph(s) Functionality (Released)

New Glyph snapping feature is available in Beta now.

Snap to glyph(s) allows quick and precise alignment around contours of live text without the need of creating outlines or reference guides. You will see smart snapping guides for words and a line by default. You can also enable a single glyph mode by right-clicking on the targeted glyph.

We have tried to provide as many important smart guides as possible without cluttering the workspace. We would love to hear your candid feedback. Please provide your feedback on this thread. This will be actively monitored by the Illustrator team. If you…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Angled Guidelines

I'm working on a typography piece right now and my guidelines look like this (see attached.) The black lines are straight strokes. I think it would be really neat to have an option for angled guidelines, so I don't have to mix vertical/horizontal guides with strokes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base