Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1125 results found

1. Unable to import SVG textPath

Illustrator is able to export SVGs using the <textPath> element for use in browsers. However, it is unable to import SVGs using the <textPath> element - instead of importing them properly, it puts each glyph in the appropriate position along the path, but it doesn't rotate the glyphs.

The workaround is to generate SVGs with "expanded" outlines for text, but this leads to much larger SVG files, with a loss of editability.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Wrong raster exported with combination of mask, gradient and brush

I have path with a stroke applied to it.
    Stroke is gradient, applied 'within'
    One point of this gradient has opacity 0.
    This path has mask.
    Mask applied as inverted and clipping.
    Inside this mask I have path with dash brush applied to it.

All of this looks fine inside AI.
    When I export a picture with Save for web (try other exports yourself, I don't use them) — AI doesn't see mask.

See animation and artwork attached.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Losing Layers when saving as PDF from CC 2018 and reopening in CC2017

Losing Layers when saving as PDF from CC 2018 and reopening in CC2017.
    We save all our ai files as "Illustrator Default" PDF's so we can see the layers in Acrobat and come back and modify the file in ai with no concerns. After updating to CC 2018 and saving a file the same way making sure to preserve illustrator and create acrobat layers when opened in an older version of ai (CC 2017) we will not see the file with layers. If opened in 2018 all is good. Never had this issue with CC 2017 when someone opened it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. PNG Not exported with Black Background

Export Element > PNG > Background Color Black not working

Illustrator Version: CC2018, 22.0.1 (64-bit)
    Language: German

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

5. illustrator cc 2018 wrong in export psd after rasterized

colors change in file export with pantone, my steps are as follows:
    1- I have created a file in illustrator CC 2018 with 8 spot colors or pantone.
    2- rasterize the file with the function "keep spot colors " flagged
    3- export the .psd image with the function in the connection tab
    4- the resulting file has changed colours and wrong result

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

6. some graphics missing when exporting artboard using "export as"

Hello, I am experiencing strange results during artboard export - after export to bitmap file, there is often some part of graphics missing. Latest example is this - the 1pt stroke, visible in editor, is not present on exported image. Simillar result achieved in numerous different cases, ussually some shapes or contours with white color are missing in exported image. I am includign source files, you will have the background photo link missing, but this can be replaced with any colored box with same result. This is dangerous bug, because you have to control your exports carefully, and is easy…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The white outlines in the file have Overprint attribute set. White + overprint result in empty objects, please remove overprint attribute from the white objects and try export again.

7. "Export as" not working as expected

When I file > export > export as ... e.g. png, using the "use artboards" function the "save as" dialog isn't working properly ...

first it doesn't save the name I typed exactly ... "Version 1.2.png" it somehow uses parts of already existing file names like "Version 1.2_Text.png" which is really weird ...

second if I use parts of the name of a file that already exists like "Text_Version 1.2.png" in the saving process and Text.png already exists it asks me if I want to overwrite that file...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SVG text export failure

Illustrator 22.0.1 cannot export text layer names to SVG, which seriously impairs our SVG processing pipeline. Tested on both Mac and PC.
    To reproduce:
    • Create a blank document
    • Create a new text object with the Type tool
    • Give the text object a name in the Layers control panel
    • Export to SVG, setting Object IDs to "Layer Names"

The resulting SVG code will contain a <text> entity, but without its "id" attribute!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

9. Recent File Opens Up Blank Without My Saved Work

I recently saved a file/project I was working on. The next day when I went to go open the recently saved file it opened a blank page. None of the layers were shown, and the size was not right. I tried restarting my computer but still the same thing occurred. It was like the art I drew was not even there. Can someone please help me? Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can't Export Png File

Hello,

I am trying to export my illustration in png at 300 dpi, but everytime it is showing me the attached error. It's not with this file only. Even if I am trying to export a simple rectangle, I am getting the same error. I am using windows 8.1 pro and illustrator version is 2018.

Kindly help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Acrobat DC PDF file has a difference spot color name than the same PDF imported into Illustrator

1. A production file was created in Illustrator CC 2017 (21.1.0) Windows 7 and saved as a PDF for print.
    2. The file needed editing and when opened again in CC 2018 (22.1.0) on Windows 10, one of the spot color names in illustrator is different from the PDF file.
    3. File-open repeats the issue, but File- Place imports the correct spot color name.
    4. Not only did the spot color name change but the text underneath a color call out, we do use Tortoise SVN software which could be part of the issue. Why would illustrator read that file differently than Acrobat DC?
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Slow/Won't Export/Won't Save

Have the latest version of Adobe Illustrator CC and the errors and error message are constant when exporting and saving.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cannot Pan/Scroll with WACOM pen in Open/Save/Place file dialogue windows.

Cannot Pan/Scroll with Wacom pen in Open/Save/Place type file dialogue windows in mmany if not all of Adobe apps (where every other non-Adobe app I know of does, Apple and other 3rd parties), obviously this pertains to when you've mapped a Wacom pen button to pan/scroll to use in that manner (Wacom settings screen attached).

What should happen is being able to interact similar to touch omnidirectional swiping which includes vertical mouse-like scrolling when pressing the button and making contact with the pen, as would be expected and Wacom designed it to do.

What instead happens: Adobe apps interpret this…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. File size growing increasing bloating

Illustrator 22.0.1 (64bit), Windows 10 64bit (latest version), 64GB RAM, 3.5Ghz 12 core CPU, 2x large SSDs

As of last week, I have been encountering an issue with file sizes growing larger and larger each time I save. The file grows even when I only move or even delete objects. The larger the file becomes the more it adds with each save, and the slower it becomes. It’s as though it’s doing something like saving history states (although not in any useful way).

This is a huge problem; the project file I’m currently working on, though modest in complexity (75k…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Export As... in Actions Panel doesn't show dialog even if " show dialog" toggle is selected.

OS X version 10.12.6; Illustrator version 22.0.0
    Previous versions of Illustrator worked correctly.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

16. Save for web - image size percentage not working

When using save for web option, the image size percentage is not changing even when a new number is put in there. It is only saving as 100%. Sometimes it allows me to increase the percentage, but more times then less it saves as 100% no matter what number I type in there. I am using the creative cloud version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Importing Multiple Page PDF

When importing multiple page PDFs the sizing changes when you embed to work on the files. It is a small change but a change nonetheless. i.e. my 1.4" became 1.5". Something that you will not notice until it's too late. Importing single pages has no problems.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. AI from PDF keeps old thumbnail/preview

I often get someone's source documentation in PDF.

Yes, we should get source. No, it seems we can't get the soruce.

So - I open the PDF in Illustrator and save the useful chunks - graphics mostly - as separate files in .ai format, pdf-compatable.

For whatever reason, those docs usually will not preview correctly in Win Explorer or when browsing from ID to place as a graphic.

It seems there's some preview/thumbnail info from the original PDF that lingers in the AI file - even though it was a multi-page file, and I'm only using a piece of it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. SVG files scaling issue

At the opening, AI does not take in consideration a transform define in a <use /> in a SVG file and all elements defined in this section have wriong scale (see displayingissue.png). This is not obsevable in any web browser and competitor tool. In attachement, inital SVG file and the file modified (*_AI.svg) to get correct displaying in AI.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

20. The file "Untitled" is an unknown format and cannot be opened

I was working on a file that I opened from Photoshop CC 2018 and after I saved it. I wanted to open it again and I got this message:
    "The file "Untitled" is an unknown format and cannot be opened"

I tried opening it again from photoshop and saved it as an ai. file. I went to open it again and I get the same error message: The file "Untitled" is an unknown format and cannot be opened

Thank you! (please help! I am losing my mind! :) )

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base