Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

665 results found

1. Long ligature name causes AI crash

I am a beta user of Font Awesome 6 and extensively use its desktop fonts with ligatures.

Any attempt to produce the ligature made by the string starfighter-twin-ion-engine-advanced will crash AI (26.0.2, macOS Big Sur). I believe this is a length of ligature issue as other ligatures from this typeface family are unaffected, including starfighter-twin-ion-engine, and the alias of starfighter-alt-advanced works. (Perhaps ligatures of 32 or more characters?) I was able to reproduce this twice with the aforementioned ligature and again with down-left-and-up-right-to-center (32 chars). It does not occur in Photoshop, so it is an Ai problem, not a font…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Character Styles not assigning/sticking

For the last few versions, Character Styles won't assign to text. I've reinstalled at least three times, with and without preferences.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 文字パネル内でピリオド入力ができない。

1.OSとAdobe Illustratorのバージョン
    Mac OS Monterey12.0.1/Illustrator26.0.2

2.問題が発生したときに実行していた手順
    文字パネル内でフォントサイズや行送りなどの調整で小数点を指定する際に.(ピリオド)を入力しても反映されず、整数のみの数字として認識されてしまいます。

3-4.想定結果と実際の結果
    例)1.5pt→15pt

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator 製品版フィードバックへのご協力ありがとうございます。

他のユーザーさんからご提案いただいた、以下の操作をお試しください。

1. Macの「システム環境設定>言語と地域」で、優先が「日本語」になっているかを確認。
    2. 右下の「詳細」をクリックして、通貨の単位設定が「通貨=日本円」、さらにカンマとピリオドが正しく設定。
    3. 上記を正しく設定し、再起動する。

こちらのレポートは対応完了とさせていただきます。

また、何かありましたらご報告ください。

以上、よろしくお願いいたします。

Illustrator チーム

4. When I try to change the language for the whole document it doesn't work. I change it and when I open it again it has the old language.

When I try to change the language for the whole document it doesn't work. I change it and when I open it again it has the old language.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Small caps do not work for Libertinus font (open type font)

The small caps feature does not work for the Libertinus Serif font (https://github.com/alerque/libertinus) in Illustrator. Only some of the letters get capitalized. It does, however, work with Libertinus Serif Display. (different variant of the same font family) This issue (from the font development page) contains more information: https://github.com/alerque/libertinus/issues/482
    Other programs like LibreOffice don't have this issue and render the small caps correctly, so it may be that there is an issue in Illustrator.

To reproduce: just download and install the Libertinus font, create a new document, add some text, apply the Libertinus Serif font and activate small caps…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. alt+gr typing pass through

So, after spending an hour googling through different people having language / character issues with alt+gr on windows in Illustrator, I think I have identified what is happening (see screenshot)

Win10 can do mixed display language / keyboard layout combinations that most Adobe products will handle just fine, but Illustrator seems to set keyboard language based on general language set, not on keyboard language set.

So, if I type my normal alt gr+q for @ symbol or alt gr+e for € symbol on a german layout while using english language with german keyboard, it does not pass through as altgr+e…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Unable to activate fonts

I am unable to activate new fonts using the find more feature in AI. When I attempt to activate a font, it attempts to activate but does not complete. However, the font is indicated as active on fonts.adobe.com, yet still not available in AI.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Type — Different Opacity Settings Not Displayed (GPU Preview)

AI Version: 25.2
    Using GPU Preview

Problem:

• With some type selected, edit the text and change the Opacity of only some letters.
    • Note that those characters do not look changes.
    • Switch to CPU Preview and note that the Opacity of those letters now display as expected.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.2.3 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

9. type tool is fundamentally broken.

Why did you f up the type tool?? It, like almost everything else in Illustrator, doesn't work as good as it did a few versions back. I don't mind you making changes, but when it starts to impede productivity, it's a problem. I hate this program now. HATE. It's a buggy, aggravating, and just does not work seamlessly as it once did.

With the type tool, I have issues placing the cursor in the type. if I use the hand tool in conjunction with the type tool, it overrides the hand tool and starts adding spaces. Neve been a problem…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Apple Emoji glyphs now crop at the bottom when rasterising + viewing - after Big Sur update

I have updated to Big Sur. 2018 MacBook Pro. The Apple Emoji glyphs updated. Now, they are cropped about 3-5px on the bottom. Baseline shift doesn't help, rasterising doesn't help, changing the size of the type doesn't help. The emoji are permanently cropped now in both 2019 and 2020 AI versions, as well as in Photoshop. This is both when viewing the letterform, and when rasterising or outlining it. Please help! <3 I am trying to finish a job that looked great before Big Sur. Can't find anything on line.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. When copying text in Arabic or Hebrew, Illustrator messes up the characters.

Somehow the text gets flipped into Jibberish. Even when Arabic fonts are used such as Adobe Arabic. This causes the world to be filled with jibberish Hewbrew and Arabic.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Text height is wrong

When you select a specific text height, it is not correct. Say for instance you select 1 inch for text height but in reality the cap height is .68 inches. We work at a sign shop and a lot of jobs require a specific text height. This is misleading when I pick 1 inch for text height and it is no where near 1 inch in height. Can you please make it where the text height corelates to the actual cap height of the text, otherwise this feature is useless.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Latest Illustrator releases have Font Height Options you can access form Character panel’s menu — they allow you to set font height as a capital / x-height specifically.

The functionality has some minor issues (regarding rounded stems for some fonts, keeping the chosen option between launches), but otherwise it is very good. Please try it!

13. Variable Font bug: "wiggling" top of "U"

1. Download and unzip https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b6k0izkm5ma3dy/200719-AdobeVFBug.zip?dl=1

2. Install the font from font/DaikonVF-mini.ttf

3. Run Illustrator 24.2.1

4. Type "AU" and choose the Daikon VF font

5. In the property bar, click the Variable Font button and move the weight slider between the extreme locations. Observe how the top of "U" "wiggles" (jumps up and down). This is shown in videos/DaikonVF-Illustrator-24.2.1,.mp4

6. The same problem occurs in InDesign 15.1.1

7. The same problem occurs in DTL OTmaster 7.9 and in FontView 2019 (an open source app built from https://github.com/googlefonts/fontview ) — both apps use older versions of the FreeType library.

8. The problem no longer occurs in FontView 2020 (which I’ve…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Text Cursor in Medium Light mode is invisible

The text cursor and the click+drag selection box are the same color as the background outside of an artboard if the User Interface is set to Medium Light mode. They are completely invisible.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Copy text on path with option held crashes Illustrator.

I am creating type on a path. When I copy the text with option and drag it to paste, Illustrator consistently crashes without any recovery options.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Text path vanishes when moving it with selection tools (black or white arrows)

Since updating to version 24.1.2 from Adobe Illustrator 2019, whenever I move text objects using any of the selection arrows, the highlighted path disappears during moving and only reappears when I stop moving the text object. This is frustrating as I can't see the baseline or centre point of the text object while trying to align it to something else. This never happened before I updated Illustrator. My OS is macOS Mojave 10.14.6, Illustrator version 24.1.2.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Everytime creative cloud app is required to reactivate the fonts

I activated 2 new fonts from adobe fonts website and it worked well.
    After that I closed Ai and next day when I opened Ai again then it's showing missing fonts and there is no way to activate them from Ai.
    I have to start creative cloud app always to reactivate these fonts. This is very annoying and killing a lot of time. Also it takes ages to start creative cloud app even on fast internet connection. This also needs improvement.
    Once the fonts are activated - isn't that installed locally on my machine? Why every time it needs to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Font Family List Search Function

Font search function update a while back has 2 big issues.

1: The font family list sends you back up to the top when you want to find a new font. It used to send you to where that font lived in the list. Instead, it sends you back up to the top to "recent fonts."

2: When you search by typing in the font name ie: "helv..", you are given ever font style & weight in that family. It used to just list them out with little carrots next to the names and indicated how many styles it had…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. font kerning

The kerning between the letters "F" and "i" is not working in illustrator whichever font I use. It works in Indesign

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Selecting Font open glyphs

Reporting a bug:

When I select a font or a previously selected font from the Drop Down Font menu the Glyphs tab (even though I don't have it selected or open anywhere else) it opens across my whole workspace.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 8 10 12 33 34
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base