Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

119 results found

1. Gradient tool issues

1. Handles on on object's Gradient Annotator are difficult to adjust once a gradient has been dropped. Usually, handles simply don't respond. User needs to start from scratch and create a brand new gradient rather than make small adjustments to existing ones.

2. Repeated but not consistent bug: adjusting one gradient causes changes to unrelated gradients on same document.

3. Live preview of gradient tool is prohibitively slow, esp when gradient is anywhere near an existing Effect.

FIX: Allow us to toggle the preview effect.

1. Dropping a color onto the gradient slider, color creates a new color-point onto slider, immediately next to existing…
    16 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We understand your problem and investigating this issue from tolerance perspective of gradient widget on screen and slider.  We will require some specific information to investigate the other Gradient Issues, Kindly add your vote on relevant thread for below issues:

Repeated but not consistent bug: adjusting one gradient causes changes to unrelated gradients on same document. → https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44461230-adjusting-one-gradient-causes-changes-to-unrelated  

Live preview of gradient tool is prohibitively slow, esp when gradient is anywhere near an existing Effect. → https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44461233-live-preview-of-gradient-tool-is-prohibitively-slo

Gradient tool on desktop similar to the iPad version! → https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/46159303

Thanks for your patience and support!

Ankit Goyal, Illustrator Team

2. Spacebar not working as quick Pan / Hand tool

Spacebar has stopped working as hand tool as of 2018 update.

399 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

499 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Svg export

Hi! I met with you at CreativePro conference in Seattle. I would like to see more control when exporting svg from Illustrator. More specifically, the ability to remove the title tag when exporting. If not, that's ok, the svgomg site cleans up svg code well. Thank you!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Transform Again (Crtl D)

"Transform Again" often doesn’t work on more complex objects.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Color palette overrides fill colors and color modes in Illustrator 2018

Hi, I am a design professor and most students in my class experienced a specific problem when we were doing an exercise to learn how to apply the correct color palettes to different logo files. Specifically, we created fictional identity designs as a means to learn how to create a production-ready bundle of files (a logo with versions in b&w, spot color (Pantone), 4-color process, and RGB). Almost 100% of my 18 students had their 4-color process file -- which was filled with CMYK colors upon designing, and should have stayed CMYK -- show up as being filled with RGB…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Text missing in SVG files

This is the first time trying to use Illustrator since it updated to the newest version (23.0.1) and updating my Mac to High Sierra (10.14). I have previously used Illustrator to edit SVG files, specifically the text in those files. When I open similar SVG files in the new Illustrator, all of my text is missing. My computer is due for a small update which will go through later tonight but this seems like a bug within Illustrator. When I open the SVG in Photoshop 2019 and re-export it as a SVG, I am able to see the text in…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Snap to grid doesn't work at artboard edges

Snap to grid is ignored at artboard edges.
    See animation attached.
    It makes me cry.

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Performance issues in pixel preview on 5K retina screen

When working in pixel preview mode on the retina screen of my iMac, the scrolling and zooming in Illustrator are very laggy. Please do the needful ASAP or we plan to move to "Affinity" because illustrator is unusable for me and its impact our workflow.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue and sorry for getting back so late. We are able to reproduce this issue at our end and it is currently under review.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

9. Smart guides don't work properly

It has been too long for this not to be working right yet. Smart guides aren't smart enough. When smart guides snap to something it has to be exact, not .05 pixels off. Close enough is not good enough. Also, when I drag over an object it needs to snap to that object, not some random shape clear across the pasteboard. If I have to zoom in 2600% to manually align something (which I often do) smart guides and snapping have failed. Is there some ridiculous setting I have to change to get this to work the way it's supposed…

78 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s dangerous to call things Smart... When they behave dumb, the name sound like an insult. Sadly, this is the case.

Please provide more specific cases, with video proofs, ask you colleagues to share and vote, to move this further. This is the way to force changes to things that are broken — be vocal and persistent. Thank you all and let’s hope we get heard.

10. Bug in entering number values in transform panel

Version: CC 22 (and has happened in previous versions)

There is a small bug that happens often when using the transform panel. I use it a lot to move and size objects with precision. Many times, I will want to move an object with the X and Y values. I will type a number, press enter and a completely different number value will automatically appear in the box and move it to that value. For example, I want to move an object to 4.25" in the Y axis and after I press enter, a value of 36.0833"…

75 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It is now obvious the issue was not fixed fully. The developers are aware of it now. Let’s hope it will be fixed soon enough.

If you have a solid order of steps which reproduce this behavior, share them in comments, because only some machines are affected. Please help the team to isolate it.

11. Pasted artwork does not remember sublayers

When pasting artwork from one file to another with matching layer and sub-layer names, Illustrator will not remember sub layers and pasted artwork has to be re-sorted in to sub layers.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue and sorry for the inconvenience caused. We are able to reproduce this issue at our end and it is currently under review.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

12. Preferences reset to default... EVERY time I open Illustrator

Every time I open Illustrator, all preferences are reset to the defaults. EVERY preference, EVERY time. I've saved custom workspaces, keyboard shortcuts, etc. and those are available to be activated, every time I open the application.
    Using AI CC 2018 (22.0.1) on Windows 7, with Cloud disabled.
    I do NOT have the option to install the latest patch; I don't even have access to menu item "Check for Updates."
    Would be EXTREMELY helpful if Adobe would make the list of fixes for each patch available. I have no way of knowing when there's been an update, or what was patched…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Image Trace has a problem keeping the artwork in the same location from the original.

Illustrator version 22.0.1

Image trace seems to have a problem keeping artwork in the same location from the original. Screen Shot 1 shows some text that I have rasterized to be image traced. I work at a die making facility so rasterized images need to be made into vectors for our CNC machines to "read them."

As it stands, if I image trace this text it is going to be transposed to the right and below the original. The image traced result in Screen Shot 2 is the magenta color. My original rasterized image is in black. When this specific…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  9 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Alt-Drag to Duplicate (and Shift to align) Only Works Intermittently

Duplicating objects in Illustrator CC 2017 only works on occasion, it is not consistent as it was in previous versions. Holding Shift to align while dragging and duplicating also doesn't work. These were both key features of Illustrator and if there is a way to fix this problem I would be very interested to know how!

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. SVG Export Missing XML Encoding Tag

The latest updates to Illustrator (21.0.1) seems to have removed the all-important encoding tag required by browsers to render SVG appropriately when embedding etc. in an html page.

It exports the svg without this tag at the beginning of the file.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. AltGr key not working

AltGr key does not work as intended, it currently only produces a Ctrl+Alt keypress. On many European keyboard layouts it is used to type e.g. characters @, [, {, |, \, ~, and currency symbols (€, $, £). The only way to circumvent this is to use e.g. Notepad to type in the characters and copy-pasting them, which is a nuisance. All the other Adobe CC apps - just as basically every other Windows app in the world - use AltGr as intended, so why does not Illustrator?

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

AltGr is supposed to be equivalent to Alt + ctrl.
    At present, when we press e.g. AltGr + E while writing text, we check if any command can handle it and if yes it is not passed to application to handle key event. That’s why existing commands are triggered on those extended char shortcuts.

If we want to change the behavior that while writing text key shortcuts (e.g. AltGr + E) should write extended character, Then we will have to sacrifice all the text contextual shortcuts we have at present in app e.g. ctrl + alt + I does something. All those commands would stop working.
    This is the reason why we are moving it to the feature

18. Non Functional Gradient Stroke along/across options when stroke is outside/inside

make a box, add a gradient stroke, apply gradient across stroke, align stroke to outside - you can't button does nothing.
    so
    make a box, add a gradient stroke, align stroke to outside THEN click apply gradient across stroke...button is active but does nothing

I have been reporting this bug and hoping for a fix for 4 years now. Going to give me back some of that money I have been giving you LOL?

First post July 2013...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1263557

again July 2015
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1907689
    again
    Dec 2015
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2021452
    Nov 2016
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1247459
    Jan 2017
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2265213

made bug reports each time, but always…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Hide text highlighting on "Hide Edges" (CMD+H)

This was never fixed in CC 2015 - 2017 and the same **** bug is in CC2018.

In ALL previous versions of AI prior to CC2015 (or at least as far back as CS5 when I got Illy), if you selected text with the Text Tool which made the text highlighted, if you then performed the Hide Edges command, the highlight would NOT show... that way you could change the color, Tracking, font size etc of ONLY the SELECTED characters without affecting the others.

The "big deal" here is when you are trying to see the color change take effect…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this bug Illustrator Team really appreciate this.
    We are able to reproduce this issue in house and we are investigating it .

20. blend line "profile" interpolation not working

I was trying out the new quick tip that was posted on youtube for "linocut" blend lines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCyE91-D-KI

I was trying to blend between a variety of line types and follow along with the demo and noticed that my up-to-date copy of illustrator is not doing any tip interpolation.

I downloaded the demo file from the video page and the tip blending works, but in the photo I provide shows my attempt to blend on the right and the tips are square.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Following is the result of investigation:
    This issue happens with blends created when stroke with flat edge is applied to one path then later variable width profile is changed.

Workaround: Select the blend object, Release the blend, change path’s Variable width profile to Uniform, and then apply desired Variable width profile again, Now try apply Blend.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base