What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

Image Not Visible/Blank When Placing EPS Files into new file

I use a program called Separation Studio to separate raster images into spot colors. I then open up a new Illustrator file, click file -> place -> select the eps file created from Separation Studio, and the image that is placed is blank. This was not an issue with any versions of Illustrator. In previous versions, you were able to see the image that was placed and even change/alter the spot colors that were brought in. In this new version, CC18, the spot colors come in with the image when it's placed, but even if you change the spot color, nothing changes about the image, it is just blank. This is a crucial part of our business and I need help quickly, if possible. I am reinstalling CC17 in the meantime to get by.

50 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

63 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tyler Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have not been able to get this to work. I have tried both the most recent version and also CC 22.1. Any help would be much appreciated.

The bottom line is that I need to be able to print spot color channels via separations from Illustrator. The common method used to be placing a DCS 2.0 as a link and assigning the channels to spot color swatches. There were a few other work arounds but none of these methods seem to work anymore.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the newest version an it still does it. I do not use separation studio but create my own channels and the problem is the same.

• Spoon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone been able to get this to work? I do not see my eps when I use the place function. It shows up as a blank image. Any thoughts?

• Timothy Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. I have installed 22.1 and the DCS files are visible again. It is important to retain this feature since we work a lot with flexography using spot colours. we need to be able to simulate colour half tones using special colours rather than CMYK and DCS files are the most effective way.

• MyKill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I spoke with a tech that informed me that the DCS filetype is being phased out."
    Ok, Phased out of ILLUSTRATOR or phased out of the INDUSTRY?

Adobe, I love you, but you have GOT to keep screen printers in mind. You made life **** when Photoshop CS3/4(?) removed the screen angle output. Whatever YOU think we SHOULD be doing, the FACT is that these DCS files are used EVERY DAY by thousands of screen printers, so I'm not sure WHO told you they are being "phased out"... they are absolutely ESSENTIAL to me and lots of other people to pay our rent and buy food.

I know Adobe is in love with the web and digital formats, but I'm betting most of your employees are wearing shirts, and most of them have a design on them... WE MAKE THOSE, and you are making this REALLY difficult for no reason.

While we're at it, can we PLEASE get back to old Preview display? Meaning where it, by default, supported Solidity (Illustrator CS 4 or 5 was when it was dropped). Since that version, I have to select every channel (CMD+Click on the channel thumbnail) and then delete that from the "shirt color" channel so that I can see the design in AI. I shouldn't even need the "shirt color" channel, but MUST keep it an cut all channels from it to see the art in a clear view in AI.

PLEASE... PLEASE ADOBE... I hate Corel and you fit into all my other workflows so effortlessly.. PLEASE keep the screen printers in mind when you start "phasing out" things that already work perfectly... We're not asking you to ADD functionality, we're simply asking you to STOP REMOVING functionality that you think is outdated or not needed?

Do YOU print full-color photographic images onto t-shirts, Adobe? I do. PLEASE stop making it so f*****g difficult.

DCS does not work with the new 2018 Illustrator Update. Keep the 2017 version, it will only work in this version.
    How can you guys ***** up with the 2018 March update???!!

• Haresh Ladha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you post a new link for 22.0.2, I just upgraded (technically downgraded) to 22.0.1 and its overwritten 22.0.2.
    I thought the 22.0.1 would resolve this issue but it hasn't, I need the 22.0.2 version please.

Thank You.

I no longer can find the bug fix build and am having the same issues as the original post. Please advise asap!

• Phil Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How much longer before this becomes the official release? We are holding upgrades in our art department until this become final.

• AHoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had to place the photoshop file with the spot channels (seps) included into illustrator - this is our working sep file before we delete the RGB channels and save as .dcs. That worked for us.

Another less desirable option would be go really old school and split channels and place/relink the individual tiffs overprinting into illustrator for output.
    Really needs to be fixed!!

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe keeps telling me that bug fix 22.0.2 fixes the DCS issue! NOOOO it does NOT!
    This bug fix Does NOT fix the DCS issue! It didn't work for 32bit or 64 bit
    I still can't use DCS files!!

Adobe where is your Quality Test Engineers

As a screen printer I am so stuck!! I can't use my serparation files so I am having to separate by hand! Any other screen printers have a fix on how I can use the Separation Studio files to print my transparencies?

????

Is anyone else having issues with placing an EPS file and getting an error that says, Cant place the illustration? Could not read the TIFF preview? I use separation studio for my screen printing and separation studio puts the files into eps. I then place the eps into illustrator and normally it adds the file and illustrator with specific settings will work with my EPSON 1430 transparency printer. Since using the latest illustrator with the bug fix of 22.02 I am still having this same issue and can't use illustrator to print my transparencies.

FIX THE DCS ISSUE!!!!!!! DCS does't work anymore in Illustrator after Updating to CC 22.02! Please fix this issue Adobe.

• Juan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spoke with a tech that informed me that the DCS filetype is being phased out. I was able to follow the steps to copy my channels into a native Photoshop file. From there one can send the PSD file straight to a RIP software or place the PSD into an Illustrator template.
    I assume in the future one need not delete the RGB/CYMK channels I.E. do not use Multichannel. Saves a few extra steps if you know about this change ahead of time. But if you need to convert files that are already DCS, just drag the channels into anew PSD.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base