Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1120 results found

1. Default save location for "SAVE FOR WEB" in Illustrator 2020 (24.2)

Hello,
    In version 24.2 of Illustrator the behavior of the SAVE FOR WEB (LEGACY) function has change. In version 24.1 and older, the default saving location vas the last saved location used, in version 24.2 it is the location where the Illustrator (.ai) file is located which is by default. I was wondering if this is a bug or voluntary choice because it affects my work flow considerably even if it may seem like a small detail. I understand the value of saving by default where the Illustrator (.ai) file is located, but I would like to choose the method…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 'Turn off Data Recovery for complex documents' should be on by default

The data recovery setting for complex documents should be on by default. Secondary to this, why aren't my illustrator settings saved in the Creative Cloud in the creative cloud service we pay so much for? I've had a situation we're I've upgraded to a new illustrator version through CC then started to work not realising this feature is now off!!! I've done a whole lot of work in a large file and not only did it not recover the document after a crash the program reverted the document to a state 2 days prior! The file even says I saved…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. SVG export with text – line breaks forcing text to convert to outlines

I've been working on a project that requires SVG files with embedded text and have discovered what seems to be a bug.

It seemed arbitrary at first, that some text objects would be converted to outlines while others would remain as text. I finally figured out that forced line breaks were the culprit, as illustrated in the screenshots I've attached. The problem is the same whether you use point type or area type objects.

I'm currently running the latest version of Illustrator (24.1.2) on macOS High Sierra (10.13.6).

I've also noticed this issue is similar to another one that might…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Stop Illustrator from increasing file size by 400% when exporting artwork in 300ppi resolution

Illustrator currently increases the size of a file by 400% when using the "Export As" option and choosing to save at 300ppi resolution instead of 72ppi resolution. We tried several times exporting as PNG for an Artboard that was 5000px wide but the program saved the file at 20000px wide because we chose to save at 300ppi resolution. We contacted support and they stated that this was a "feature" of the application and cannot be changed.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Editing Pattern Swatch + Saving = Crash (unsaved, unrecovered)

After creating a new pattern swatch with about a dozen objects, I double click the swatch to change the pattern settings. Either of the following scenarios cause Illustrator to crash EVERY TIME, using ANY of the last 3 versions of Illustrator:
    — hitting command+s to exit pattern editor while saving
    — double clicking to exit, and then hitting command+s at any point afterwards

TLDR; hitting command+s anytime AFTER editing a pattern swatch is crashing Illustrator

I've replicated this issue about 2 dozen times now across all 3 most recent builds of Illustrator available through CC.
    I haven't yet tried saving…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Save File

We are still having save file issues. Illustrator will not save the file over a network or even at time to the desktop. Also please do say "this is not a generic issue" looking at all the posts below with the same problem it surely is.

And please can we get moving on this. There seems a real lack of effort to fix these things. Whenever I read these posts you guys are always saying you have fixed the problem but the posts show that you have not, or you made the error occur again in another update. Very disappointed…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Exporting to png creates corrupted png file.

I'm having an issue with corrupted png files that were exported from Illustrator. If I export from photoshop, it's fine. I have exported from Illustrator a bunch of times before, so not sure what the problem is and what to do to correct the problem. Seems like it started with the latest update, but I'm not totally sure of that. Before this issue started, exporting to png was very fast. Now it is very slow, sometimes crashes the app, and when I do get a file and try to upload it online I get a corrupted file message. Again, this…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. [Extendscript] SaveDlg Default Filename Bugged

Hi there,

I'm having some issues with a custom extendscript that we use in our production house. This script is pretty basic, and is meant to make eps / pdf / ai conversion easier (we have some strict EPS settings that must be followed). This script has worked on AiCC (original release) up through CC 2019, but is now behaving oddly in Illustrator 2020.

When you run the script, a custom "Save As" dialog should show up. The filename should default to the current document's name, with .eps set as the filetype suffix. However, when running this script in Illustrator…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Temp file string prepended to filename slug

When saving a PDF copy of a file with cropmarks to a network share a temporary string such as "ai157536670945_" is prepended to the filename in the page info/slug in the cropmark area.

Ai 2020 24.01 Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Anjali responded

Thanks for sharing the details.
    We are now able to reproduce the issue.
    The team will be looking into the problem.

Thank you for the feedback.

11. Symbols and SVGs issues (Illustrator 2020)

Issue: When an SVG is reopened in Illustrator with a symbol included in the artboard, the symbol shifts in position within a bounding box and crops as if it is within a Clipping Mask. Any black colour value within a symbol isn’t recognised and is automatically changed to HEX colour #000000. When the SVG is previewed in Finder and uploaded to Magento the symbols appear in the correct position.

Specs and testing: The issue only occurs since updating to Illustrator 2020 (tested on both macOS Majave (10.14 & 10.14.5) and macOS Catalina (10.15.1).

When opening the SVG in previous versions…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Save As PDF Bug

Saving a PDF throws a repeatable error that the AI file was not saved as PDF-Compatible when it 100% was. I have tested it many times. The problem resolves only if: Close Illustrator, go to hidden "Adobe Illustrator Prefs" file and open in Text Editor. Navigate to this part:

/aiFileFormat {
    /enableATEReadRecovery 0
    /PDFCompatibility 1
    /enableATEWriteRecovery 0
    /enableContentRecovery 0
    /dumpPGFwithoutShortcut 0
    }

And delete the 1 after "/PDFCompatibility" then type 1 again and save. Reopen Illustrator and the PDF saves fine... ONCE. All old versions of AI Preferences have been deleted from my machine and this still happens every. single.…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Overflow UI symbol for text showing up in exported graphics

When I export PNG files from AI, using the File > Export for screens command, my exported graphics are showing the AI in-app UI symbols for overflow text. This should not be happening. Actual exported .png attached.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 24 ver layer missing when opening in 23.1.1 version

Illustrator ver 24. error!!!
    Saved a file in the new version with 2 layers, one layer went missing when I opened it in 23.1.1 version (the previous version). The same applies to PDF files.
    Please advise as this is so important for our printing process.
    Both systems (iMac 2019)
    Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. "Save A Copy" Action major issue

When recording a "Save A Copy" action, it won't let us choose a folder. Rather we are forced to choose a filename. So when we ever use this Action, all of our files are saved and overwritten as the same filename.

Please let us choose a folder like the "Save As" action.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Google Backup and Sync (aka Google Drive) locks Illustrator files and saving fails unless I quit Backup and Sync.

This happens intermittently but frequently. Google support assures me this is not caused by them, though I don't believe it. Still, is there anything that can be done from Adobe's side?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. saving as an svg file, the part that should be the path tag is output as an ellipse tag.

operating system
    MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave

1. Draw an ellipse.
    2. Duplicate vertically.
    3. “Intersect” in the path finder.
    4. Save as svg file.
    5. When viewed with a web browser, the left and right sides are rounded. It should be sharp. I looked inside the svg file with a text editor, the part that should be the "path" tag is the "ellipse" tag.

Until Illustrator CC 2017, there is no problem because it is output with the "path" tag. Since Illustrator CC 2018 and later, it will be an "ellipse" tag, so the shape will be broken.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Illustrator/Trouble-exporting-shape-with-points-to-SVG/m-p/10720571#M151356

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Symbol mangling when exporting into svg

I see an incorrect result when exporting into SVG through File -> Export -> Export As... -> save as SVG. I have two gradient filled rectangles presented as symbols (see .ai inside the attached .zip), one is blue gradient and the other is gray gradient. When export into svg, the resulting image shows both rectangles filled with gray gradient (see .svg inside the .zip).

It looks like AI thinks both symbols are visually the same an merges them into a single symbol. If i use solid colors, this doesn't happen.

As for SVG options see 'svg_options.png' inside the .zip.

Check…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Save As Crash

Illustrator is crashing constantly when trying to "Save As" after updating to v23.1. Optimizing for slow networks feature is disabled. Crash occurs after choosing the location to save the file. Illustrator hangs for about 2-3 seconds before the crash window pops up. Save as works immediately after launching the program but occurs again later on.

Windows 10 Home

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Hyperlink lost if Export to SVG

If I create a shape and attach a hyperlink to it using Attributes, then use File > Export > Export As > SVG, the link no longer exists. If the file is opened using a browser there is no link and the code doesn’t contain the link. If I use File > Save As > SVG the link remains, however, using ‘Export As’ optimizes the SVG for the web, so I should use this option. Why is using ‘Export As’ removing the hyperlink? I have just started using AI - am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base