Illustrator Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator
  2. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video

What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Illustrator CC 2019 is very slow and laggy

I'm using a Mac OS 10.13 Intel Core i7 16 GB. Ever since I updated to the CC 2019, illustrator became laggy and slow. The other adobe apps worked fine after the update. I saw here that I should try turning the dictation off but that didn't help.
    Everything in illustrator is slow now. And if I use the blend tool a lot in one document the eyedropper option in the gradient window becomes unavailable. Everything even if it's as simple as moving from one art board to the next or zooming in/out is lagging

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

97 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Gentle Reminder 1:

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue. Few of you have already helped us to reproduce this issue at our end but we are still not able to repro this at our side. We are trying to get to the root cause of this issue & for that we need your help.

Are you still facing the issue with AI version 23.0.3 (WIN) or 23.0.4 (MAC) ?

If yes, can you have an online session with the engineering team so that we can see what is happening at your end ?
    Please drop me an email at: rbhunwalATTHERATEadobeDOTcom

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

2. Pressure option for brush is greyed out in AI while using Wacom Tablet

Adobe Illustrator CC 22.0.0

Ever since the new update, every time I'm trying to change my paintbrush to pressure sensitive option from the drop down list box, the 'pressure ' option is greyed out and can't be selected. 'Fixed' and 'random' are the only ones that aren't greyed out.

How can I set the pressure senstivity option on?

Please help.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Gentle Reminder 2 :

Hi All,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you by this issue. We are unable to reproduce this issue at our side.

I am also editing the title to WACOM Tablet & Illustrator issue, if you are using any other Tablet then please start another User Voice thread so that we can prioritize it accordingly.

To isolate this issue further we need your help:

Is it possible to have an online session with the AI team so that we can see what is happening at your system ? If yes then please drop an email at:
    rbhunwalATTHERATEadobeDOTcom

Thanks & Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh

3. Workspaces not working at all

Today (Mar 19th, 2018) I updated Illustrator and upon (re)launching, NONE of my pallets/Windows opened into the application. When I try to switch to built-in or custom Workspaces, nothing changes. The Workspace STAYS selected as my previously-selected Workspace and none show up. If I manually go look at the Windows in the menu, none are open and I can MANUALLY open them and move them around... "Manage Workspaces" and "New Workspace" are disabled (Gray) and no matter what I do, I cannot change or override. I have quit/relaunched numerous times - same results.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

GENTLE REMINDER 2:
    Since the issue is not generic, we would need your help to reproduce this issue.
    Kindly share your preferences folder with ShareWithAI@adobe.com in a zip File
    MAC: /Users//Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings//
    Win: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings\\

Will it be possible for you to answer the following questions so that we can isolate this issue further:

1. Which operating system are you on?
    2. Which illustrator version did you update from?
    3. Which illustrator version did you update to?
    4. What are the options you are selecting while upgrading e.g. Options like – import previous preferences and setting, enable auto update, remove older versions?

4. Gestures Broken

Gestures (e.g. pinch to zoom, two finger panning) don't work in Illustrator for me anymore. They used to work just fine on both my Wacom tablet and laptop's touchpad, but now don't work for either. They work in Photoshop, just not Illustrator, so I'm not sure if it's an option that's been deselected or an actual bug, but I can't find the option if so. I can usually scroll vertically, pinch to zoom sometimes scrolls horizontally instead, and I can't use gestures to actually zoom at all.
    Version: Illustrator 2017

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. System has run out of application memory and force quits

After launching Illustrator it will force quit with an error message "your system has run out of application memory." I have 8GB of memory and no other applications are open or running when I launch Illustrator. I am noticing in the activity monitor that illustrator is using a large amount of memory, extremely higher that usual. This started happening a few days ago and I have no changes to my OS or updates to Illustrator CC

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Illustrator makes mouse curser go slow (not a lagging issue)

Lets start by saying that Illustrator isn't lagging, It's just the mouse curser that goes slow when on the canvas.

I use an extra monitor connected to my Macbook macOS Sierra pro 10.12.4 (16E195)

I have noticed this a few times when using illustrator. It does not happen to any other program, Photoshop, sketch, Chrome etc.

This might be worth investigating as it is slightly irritating

Illustrator version 22.0.0

Cheers

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can't Print Illustration

Illustrator refuses to print even small 8.5 x 11 files to our desktop printer. This is an essential part of this program and severely impacts my ability to design and create production files when I cannot print out a simple proof without exporting it to a PDF before Printing.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Print  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Will it be possible for you to join a connect session with the Illustrator team so that we can isolate this issue further?
    If yes, then please do let us know about your available time so that we can schedule a connect session accordingly.

Your help is deeply appreciated.
    Our time zone is IST (+5:30 GMT).

With Best Regards,
    Illustrator Team

8. Cant move a selected object with the mouse

I am attempting to move a vector object from one side to the next using my mouse. While selected, I attempt to move the object with my mouse and I am hearing a "ding" (as if there is a message pop up) and nothing. The object will not move (The layer is not locked), and there is no error message. The object will only move with the keyboard keys. Please help! I recently upgraded to CC2018.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We are trying our best to repro this at our side & for that we need your valuable time.
    Is it possible for you to have a online session with us so that we can see what is happening on your system?

Please drop an email to: rbhunwalATTHERATEadobeDOTcom so that we can schedule a session accordingly.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you by this issue.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

9. Saving a PDF compatible causes slow saving

I have a top end workstation so the spec isn't an issue. When saving an AI file, checking PDF compatible slows the save and subsequent saves significantly. Un-checking it results in normal performance. This was not an issue prior to the latest release.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Gentle Reminder :

Hi All,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you by this issue. We are unable to reproduce this issue at our side.

To isolate this issue further we need your help.
    Are you on latest version of Illustrator (23.0.4 on MAC & 23.0.3 on WIN)?
    Kindly provide Test file(Via File→Package) & some steps with which you are facing issue in a ZIP format.

Is it possible to have an online session with the AI team so that we can see what is happening at your system ? If yes then please drop an email at:

Thanks & Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh

10. Files not saving correctly, reopens to older versions.

Twice this week I've saved files, closed them, and opened them later and my changes were not saved – illustrator opened way older versions of the files. What's weirder is one is a PDF, and the PDF shows the accurate file, but when I open it in illustrator it shows the old version.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Gentle Reminder 2 :

Hi All,

To isolate this issue further we need your help.
    Are you on latest version of Illustrator (23.0.4 on MAC & 23.0.3 on WIN)?

Thanks & Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh

11. the Align Objects and Distribute objects tools changed behavior.

Windows 10, Illustrator CC 22.1

Align to right and align to top are the only alignment tools functioning correctly in all three alignment modes (artboard, key object, selection). None of the distribution tools are working in any mode.

--------------------

In the 22.1 update, the Align Objects and Distribute objects tools changed behavior. Before, if I selected say, 5 objects and clicked the Align Horizontal Center tool, they would align on a mutual horizontal center. Now, they align to the center of the artboard, apparently, which is often completely offscreen when I’m zoomed in. This is a very confusing and almost…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Gentle Reminder 2 :

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you by this issue. Thanks for sharing the preferences and the recording but we are still not able to reproduce this issue at our side.

Will it be possible for you to cross verify this with AI latest build (23.0.3 on WIN & 23.0.4 on MAC). If this is still reproducible please drop an email to rbhunwalATTHERATEadobeDOTcom so that we can schedule a online session to better isolate this further.

If possible, you can share a sample file also with which you are encountering the issue.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

12. Changing default PDF preset

I save PDF versions of my Illustrator files dozens of times daily, and every...single...time...I have to manually go find and select the correct option in the PDF dropdown menu. Illustrator has never had a way to change the default PDF setting the way InDesign has, and it needs it!

This is not a big feature request, but for me it’s probably the biggest pain point Illustrator has. Please fix.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are a couple of considerations to be made here:

1. When you save/close a PDF (with Ai editing capabilities), open it back, make some edits and press Cmd+S (Save), original PDF settings are preserved. I am assuming there are no expectations of changing this behavior.

2. Same document, when Saved As (copy), the PDF options dialog picks up the settings embedded in the PDF as the starting point. Users can then change it. By showing user’s last used setting (as requested in this report), it would not be possible to populate PDF‘s embedded setting in the dialog.

Please share if this is an acceptable change.

Thanks,
    Illustrator Team

13. Selection tool won't grab lines

Selection tool won't grab and move lines without extreme effort. Simple click and move isn't working in solid and hollow pointers. I have to drag a selection across the line or lasso the line to highlight it but then it still won't let me do a simple click-drag. It's like the line is locked down but nothing is locked. I'm running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Illustrator 23.0. I've tried multiple settings of selection tolerance in preferences and it hasn't made any difference. I can move the selected line with cursor keys but can't move it with selection arrows. This didn't…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. empty progress dialog

BUG: Hitting save, switching to another application for a bit, and then coming back to Illustrator leaves a non-dismissable, persistent blank "Progress" dialog floating behind Illustrator's windows. These empty dialogs often stack up, and only ever go away by quitting the application.

Expected: whatever dialog this is supposed to be clears itself up, cleans itself up, and puts itself away.

Mac Powerbook touchbar
    MacOS Mojave 10.14.3
    Illustrator 23.0.2

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue. We have tried the scenario and failed to reproduce it,it would be helpful if you could provide some more information-

Is this happening on win 7 only?

Have you tried cleaning the preferences and re launching the application?Does that solve the issue.

Have you encountered this issue with the latest Illustrator build?

Thanks
    Anish Kumar

15. AI CC2017 open slow, lags, slow response while while working in Windows 10

AI CC2017 open slow, lags, slow response while while working in Windows 10

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue and sorry for the inconvenience caused .
    I would be needing your help in isolating the issue, request you to be co-operative and patient. Please let me know few details-

Version of illustrator you are currently working on
    Your hardware specs
    Is this specific to some file?
    If yes will it be possible for you to share the file with us at sharewithai@adobe.com

Please mention the link to this issue as the subject while mailing us. Ritika from our team will help you on this.

16. can't paste object. the requested transformation....

the image is 5 inches, and I'm pasting into a several page 8.5 x 11 document.... really can't tell you how much time I'm wasting, and I'm very irratated.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Align not working when ALL items in a group are selected

Since updating to CC 2018, align to selection and align to artboard are not working when ALL items in a group are selected.

Align appears to work if ALL BUT ONE item in the group are selected ... but if the final item is selected, it stops working ... nothing happens.

This is not ideal as it means you then have to align the remaining item with the rest of the group manually ... with transform or by eye.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I am not able to reproduce the issue on my side and behavior is similar to Illustrator CC 2017 version. If you think behavior is changed in Illustrator CC 2018 kindly share a small video of Illustrator CC 2017 behavior and Illustrator CC 2018 behavior at sharewithai@adobe.com so I can further investigate it.

Please do mention the link of this thread so we can identify you

18. Working really slow

I am working on AMD Threadripper 1950x with 16cores and 32gb DDR4 ram...
    Illustrator still working really slow and laggy.
    When I make a multiple select some objects and deselecting, its stuck on that process. Sometimes, filling all objects with single colors after deselecting. really terrible... Even I close GPU accelerator it doesn't help

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. We are not able to reproduce this issue at our end and need your help.
    1. Is it happening in all files or only complex files? Would it be possible for you to share the file in which you are facing this issue?
    2. Can you please share the video of the problem?
    3. On which version of Illustrator and OS are you working?

Please share the details on sharewithai@adobe.com

19. window resize

after a doc is open and the window has been open to the largest size. clicking the bottom right corner to resize the doc window feels like it is snapping to the bottom or to increments of a set size. HOW do we turn this off to resize the document window to any free flowing size ?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Illustrator CC 2019 freezes when trying to save.

Illustrator freezes while trying to save, both locally or on a network drive.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I would like to know if your issue is resolved ? If not please help us by answering few questions-

Hardware you were working?
    Is this very frequent?
    Your operating system?
    Are you connected to a VPN?

Please revert us back with the above information,it may help us to reproduce the issue in house.

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base