Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1124 results found

1. SVG href property exports incorrectly

When illustrator exports SVGs, it sometimes will use the href property to reference something like an embedded image or gradient from the <defs>, which is reasonable. Docs for the href property here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/href

However, safari does not support href yet, and will completely drop the reference, making SVGs widely render incorrectly in safari, up to the latest version. In order to make them work properly, the deprecated xlink:href property must also be used, docs below:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/xlink:href

All bases can be covered by including both the href and xlink:href properties, until all modern browsers have fully adopted the SVG2 spec.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Text not read when opening EMF file

I am running Adobe Illustrator CC version 22.1 on Windows. When I open the attached .emf file, the text elements in the file are omitted. You can see what the file should look like by opening it in MS Paint. The expected behavior is for Illustrator to import all elements, including the text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Strange Distort Upon Export

Please see the following thread for the full breakdown: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10450879#10450879

Stange bug that appears to happen when exporting to JPG and PNG causing the artwork to distort randomly!

System and Adobe up to date, computer and Illustrator was restarted to no effect and using Macbook Pro 13 inch 2015.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Import of images with Version 4 ICC color profile (P3) corrupts image colors on macOS 10.13.5

Adobe Illustrator CC 22.1, macOS 10.13.5
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Get an image with newer ICC profile like P3 (wide gamut). Such are screenshots from newest iOS devices (e.g. iPad Pro, iPhone X)
    2. Drag to canvas or import file into Adobe Illustrator
    3. Observe actual result (see screenshots)
    4. Compare with file open in other apps (InDesign, Sketch, Preview for mac)
    Expected result: images should be visually the same
    Current result: build 22.1 completely corrupts colors. Image is barely recognizable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Losing Layers when saving as PDF from CC 2018 and reopening in CC2017

Losing Layers when saving as PDF from CC 2018 and reopening in CC2017.
    We save all our ai files as "Illustrator Default" PDF's so we can see the layers in Acrobat and come back and modify the file in ai with no concerns. After updating to CC 2018 and saving a file the same way making sure to preserve illustrator and create acrobat layers when opened in an older version of ai (CC 2017) we will not see the file with layers. If opened in 2018 all is good. Never had this issue with CC 2017 when someone opened it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. excel

Trying to copy/paste a graph from Excel to Illustrator (or open a PDF from excel). Sometimes it pastes fine as vector shapes, but other times a complex graph paste as pixelated images(the lines still paste as vector lines though). For example instead of pasting a cluster of circles, it pastes a cluster of pixelated circle shapes with a mask....Why doesn't it just paste as vector circle shapes as usual? Is the graph too complex? What are my options?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Intermittently, Illustrator does NOT save the file.

Intermittently, when I save a file (using Ctrl-S or File > Save), the existing file is NOT saved. This has caused me to lose work.

The Illustrator UI thinks that the file has been saved - the File > Save option is greyed out. When I look in the file's location on disk, the existing file shows an older file date and time; the last time it saved successfully. There is a new file with the expected date and time and the extension "t".

I can do a "Save As" which works. I can make some trivial changes…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. updated eps files no longer preview

Running Mac OS 10.13.5, Illustrator CC 22.1

When opening an existing eps file, I make a change to the file and then save. Then, when importing that file into ID, the image will not preview, and I just get a gray box. This also happens if I do a "save as" and overwrite the old file with the same name. However, if I choose "save a copy," the file previews fine. Help?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Export as" not working as expected

When I file > export > export as ... e.g. png, using the "use artboards" function the "save as" dialog isn't working properly ...

first it doesn't save the name I typed exactly ... "Version 1.2.png" it somehow uses parts of already existing file names like "Version 1.2_Text.png" which is really weird ...

second if I use parts of the name of a file that already exists like "Text_Version 1.2.png" in the saving process and Text.png already exists it asks me if I want to overwrite that file...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 for mac crashes when opening file

My idea is for Adobe to actually fix the problem; I've followed every linked fix to the letter and Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 for mac will open normally. But, when I try to open any file, I get the spinning pinwheel of death and have to Force Quit (Not Responding). Please provide an actual fix. Thanks

Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 for mac (v22.1)

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

11. Can't Export Png File

Hello,

I am trying to export my illustration in png at 300 dpi, but everytime it is showing me the attached error. It's not with this file only. Even if I am trying to export a simple rectangle, I am getting the same error. I am using windows 8.1 pro and illustrator version is 2018.

Kindly help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Export fails for path item with pattern stroke

Using File -> Export -> Save for Web or File -> Export -> Export For Screens (at scale greater than 1x) will give an error: "Could not complete this operation. An unknown error has occurred". This error only occurs when this particular item is visible and involved in the area to be exported.
    See attached file and screenshots including that of mentioned path item.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Failure to Generate opaque color on shape layering

WinOS10

When working in illustrator the artwork appears correct. When I go to export contents to jpeg illustrator incorrectly generates a semi-transparent result when I look at the jpeg file. This is incorrect and I'm claiming this as a bug since I don't see this when rendered in illustrator. The result does not match rendered image.

Example 1 is a snip of a portion of the image from inside illustrator. Note that the shape lettering is opaque as expected. When I go to export to a jpeg I end up with a shape that is now semi-transparent...a big no-no.

Please…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Incorrect stroke-width on Import of SVG

I've converted a series of EPS graphics to SVG using Inkscape. Most of these graphics have a "transform" attribute that is used to reduce the dimensions/stroke-width of each path. On open, Illustrator handles the dimensions correctly, but does not appear to apply the stroke-width correctly. I've written a PHP script that removes the transform by manually overriding each coordinate/stroke and the SVG's seem to now work correctly. Here's the link to the library if anyone wants to try it:

https://github.com/bpopp/svgtransform/

There's also a more in-depth description of this bug.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. "Save as SVG" exports mojibake-parttern-ID when it contains CJK character

Illustrator CC 2018 (v22.1) on Windows 7

When I save the attached document as SVG in any setting, the stripe patterns had gone completely. I checked up the exported SVG file and noticed the pattern ID defines itself correctly, but actual tag id referenced by "xlink:href" attribute is a wrong mojibake-ID.

And I know this will not happen when use "Export for Screen". It export correctly, but not scriptable. I think it very strange...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. missing id in exported svg

When I export the attached .ai file to svg, the result does not contain the id of the r14 rectangle.
    Before you say "well just add it in manually", please consider that this is a simplified version and that the real thing would contain dozens, even hundreds of objects.
    Note that I am not using the artboard. The idea is to use this svg to be animated by the GreenSock javascript library.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks a lot Francis for filing the issue. Please feel free to open a new issue if you should experience the issue again or another one.

Greetings,
    Dirk

17. svg not opening correctly in Illustrator CC

When opening a .svg file Illustrator (creative cloud 2018) is opening a blank canvas. However a co-worker who is working off a previous version of illustrator (2015 I think) is able to open the file correctly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

18. Save for web - image size percentage not working

When using save for web option, the image size percentage is not changing even when a new number is put in there. It is only saving as 100%. Sometimes it allows me to increase the percentage, but more times then less it saves as 100% no matter what number I type in there. I am using the creative cloud version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Changing size in export doesn't change size

When exporting files via Save As, if I change the size, it doesn't update the actual export size until I do something else, like toggle the clip to artboard on and off or change from optimize for Art to for type. This has been a persistent error across versions of Illustrator and MacOS for some time.

Once you hit tab to leave that portion of the export dialogue, it should update without any additional steps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Importing Multiple Page PDF

When importing multiple page PDFs the sizing changes when you embed to work on the files. It is a small change but a change nonetheless. i.e. my 1.4" became 1.5". Something that you will not notice until it's too late. Importing single pages has no problems.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base