Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1124 results found

1. Can't export or save files

Every time I click Save As or Export no window pops up and I can't save any of my files.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Freezing when saving as SVG

Recently (last 2-3 days) I am almost unable to save AI files as SVG. Illustrator either crashes completely, or freezes for several minutes. This has never been an issue for me. I'm on a Dell with Intel i7-7700 and Windows 10. I have no issues using Photoshop, FrameMaker, or InDesign.

I have also been getting an issue with opening AI files and getting an error saying "Can't open file because window is too small", and it randomly shrinks Illustrator to where you just see the file/edit tool bar. I always maximize the window when working. It does this when I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. PDF Security

If I password protect a pdf and then re-open it and make changes to it. I am unable to just hit save. I have to save as again and put in a password again otherwise the pdf is no longer password protected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Saving my SVG in an invalid format. I keep getting the message that the SVG files I am creating are not valid when I try opening them.

Saving my SVG in an invalid format. I keep getting the message that the SVG files I am creating are not valid when I try opening them.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Why is illustrator running so slow on my laptop?

Illustrator runs really slow on my laptop running windows 10. It is provided by my employer and is one of the fastest you can currently buy. Im running 16mb RAM.
    A simple logo takes a minute or more to open. BUT when I take my laptop offline it seems to work alot quicker.
    No such issues with InDesign or Photoshop.
    So Illustrator seems to want to know everything I do and slows my workflow down massively. When I have a complicated peice of work I am waiting five minutes or more for it to either open or save. I save…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. PDF Import Problem

Opening a PDF in Illustrator 2019 23.1.1 - I select which page I want to open eg. 2 of 2, and it only opens the first page (not the page I wanted). No I'm not inputing the page numbers in the preview page panel (just in case you think that I am).

Import PDF pages as links is 'unchecked'.

Troubleshooting:

1) It works correctly if I open 'all' page with 'links checked'.
    2) It works correctly if I open 'all' pages with 'links unchecked'.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. The PDF is unprotected automatically after I save a protected file in Illustrator.

I had tried to open a protected PDF in illustrator and made some changes. After I clicked the "Save" button, I found that the PDF was not protected with password anymore. Could I keep it protected as original file do, without saving as a new file and protect it again? Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Receive PDF-X4 compatible PDFs when exporting X4 compatible

Files exported with X4 PDF standard do not get the X4 approval by the Acrobat preflight. It always mocks transparency color settings. Is there a setting that I'm missing or is it a built-in bug?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Saving a file should not highlight the extension

When saving (copy, exporting, etc), the save box highlights the extension. This should not happen. Soon as you choose a different format, the extension is no longer highlighted (which is good and how it should be). The extension should not be highlighted. This Illustrator bug happened after the Mac Catalina update.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Export to a local folder url beyond iCloud fails to pick up the full url

When I go File > Export > Export for Screens in Illustrator 23.1.1 (and for quite a few versions now) the local URL in 'Export to:' does not seem to want to register beyond the point at which the iCloud cloud icon appears in my folders. So a folder needs to be fully local on my macbook - otherwise I have to manually look up and type in the subfolders that I want to export to.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Illustrator CC 2019 Will Not Save or Save As on Mac OS Mojave

I use a Macbook Pro mid 2015 with 16 GB RAM and Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.4. I just updated from CC 2018 to CC2019 at most a week ago. I wish I could go back, because at least in CC 2018 I could save.

When I tried saving a file I have already saved before, with this newest version of the program even, it gives me the error message of "file not found." I go and try to open the file, make sure I'm not just working on a different version, and that "file is already open."

I try to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Dropbox saving issue

When I try to save a new file on, save as and choose it to save on dropbox. The folder I've selected that I want my file in, immediately start syncing all my online-only files to local.

Please see attached for visual explanation.

Does any1 know a way to work around this?

Thank you

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Export for Screens and Save for Web Anti-Aliases edges of Artwork based on non-round artboard coordinates

In the latest Illustrator, export for screens anti-aliases what should be sharp outer edges of artwork (even though, for example the artwork is in a 1080px x 1080px precisely placed clipping path which is aligned to the 0,0 coordinates of the artboard. I have confirmed that this occurs because the coordinates of artboards were non-round numbers (ex. 56.02 vs 56).

I have not previously experienced this, and regardless, this should be fixed... anti-aliasing should be tied to the artboard the artwork is on, not the position of the artboard on the underlying workspace.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. An unknown error has occured

Windows 10, Enterprise

I was working on a file, and have been saving file regularly in between. But on one artboard when am placing an object, i am not able to save the file. Error pops up. I tried to snip the object and placed it as image still error is popping.
    I tried locking and unlocking layers, no use.
    And if i remove tat from art board, i am able to save. What sort of error is that, am not understanding.
    This is like the file has reached a limit, if we add one more object or image or…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Can't save files in Catalina

With the new OS Catalina, Illustrator no longer can save, save as or export any file. This is a critical issue. Not sure how it would be missed in testing. is it a known issue and being worked on?

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 24.0.0

For the issue where you are encountering “An unknown error has occurred” while saving the document then please go to the following link to track the status of this issue:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-v-24-generic-error-while-saving-files-disappear

Warm Regards,
    Illustrator Team

16. Save as PDF issue

No PDF is showing after save pdf, save after preview on latest update.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When exported for screens, pictures that are rotated are extremely pixelated. And 300x300 resolution for PNGs is not big enough.

When exported for screens, pictures that are rotated are extremely pixelated. And 300x300 resolution for PNGs is not big enough. I am working with letter and A4 formats, it is not convenient to enlarge my artboards every-time I export.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Save As Crash

Illustrator is crashing constantly when trying to "Save As" after updating to v23.1. Optimizing for slow networks feature is disabled. Crash occurs after choosing the location to save the file. Illustrator hangs for about 2-3 seconds before the crash window pops up. Save as works immediately after launching the program but occurs again later on.

Windows 10 Home

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. "Save as PDF"/"View PDF after saving" checked/Acrobat DC error "file not found"

"Save as PDF"/"View PDF after saving" checked/Acrobat DC error "file not found"
    10/4/2019 Illustrator CC update broke "Save as" PDF option of viewing the PDF after a save-as to PDF. Acrobat DC gives a"PDF not found" error, but displays the file in the "Recent" Home window.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Hyperlink lost if Export to SVG

If I create a shape and attach a hyperlink to it using Attributes, then use File > Export > Export As > SVG, the link no longer exists. If the file is opened using a browser there is no link and the code doesn’t contain the link. If I use File > Save As > SVG the link remains, however, using ‘Export As’ optimizes the SVG for the web, so I should use this option. Why is using ‘Export As’ removing the hyperlink? I have just started using AI - am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base