Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7474 results found

1. Illustrator does not embed a color profile when exporting artwork to PNG format

When exporting to JPG format there is option to select color profile and an option to embed the chosen color profile in file. There is no such support for PNG files and I find many times I am asked for a transparent PNG file for print work and am unable to embed color profile.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Unable to retain the last active artboard on switching from another file

This is related to this issue here, though I'm unable to vote or comment on it. So I'm reposting this issue, because it's still annoying.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/32101687-zoom-to-arbitrary-artboard-when-switching-between

When I https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/32101687-zoom-to-arbitrary-artboard-when-switching-between

When I ⌘+Tilde (~), on certain documents (the setting seems to be saved to a document), it automatically Fits Artboard to Screen on the last artboard of the document. It is confusing, and annoying, and interrupts workflows where I need to move quickly between artboards. Please fix this.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

3. Freezing when working on files with lots of details

I've noticed others are having this exact same problem:

When working on files with a large number of items, the program will freeze up the whole computer -- necessitating a forced reboot. This happens constantly with the latest update.

MacBook Pro, 13 inch, 2016 (touchbar Mac)
    Adobe Illustrator 22.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Major Type issues

Having major dramas with type. I cannot select any existing type in any file. I cannot add any type either. On the rare occasion that any cursor may appear, it is so tiny as to be impossible to see anything. On typing, no text appears at all.
    Extremely weird and extremely frustrating.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

5. secondary view moves when editing text

OSX 10.13.5, Illustrator 22.1.

When I have two windows open on the same document and start editing text, the inactive window will recenter its view on wherever my text cursor is.

Reproduction:

1. Open a new document
    2. Draw something off on the side of it
    3. Zoom in on this thing
    4. view>new window
    5. arrange both windows so you can see them at once
    6. recenter the new window far away from the thing you drew in step 2
    7. in the window that's not showing the thing you drew in step 2 make a new text box, or create a new point type object
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Poor quality images from Export for Screens

Mac OS 10.13.5, Illustrator 22.1

Images from artboards containing embedded raster files output using Export for Screens are of decidedly lower quality than those output from Save for Web. Please see the attached image for a side-by-side comparison. Save for Web is on the left, Explort for Screens on the right. Top images are actual size, bottom enlarged for emphasis. Notice the jaggies in the raster images.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Illustrator CC crashes every time I try to Export for Screens

Illustrator has crashed 12 consecutive times when I Export for Screens but only when I choose SVG as output.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Illustrator locking up

Since the latest update for Adobe Illustrator on Mac I have found it locks up frequently with complex files. The cursor turns into the spinning umbrella and will stay that way for several minutes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. pen tool bug, "option" key does not activate usable "convert anchor point tool".

ai 22.1 on sierra mac. 10.12.4

I can see the convert anchor point tool when using the pen tool by pressing option , however when I try to click an anchor point it keeps defaulting back to the pen tool, this is annoying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I bought the adobe Illustrator but cant access the tutorials HELP please

I bought Illustrator but cannot get the tutorials but I can use Illustrator but the tutorials would help but you think every one has a photograpic memrory or I dont know why cannot cause need to get started or I cannot keep paying monthly

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Dynamic Symbols don't move when direct selecting.

If I drag a selection box around a static symbol and then move it - it moves as expected. If I do the same with a dynamic symbol - it's broken.

Definitely need this to work for my workflow. Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Resizing Bug

Been having a lot of issues with a bug in the last couple weeks. I frequently find that the bounding box disappears (even when I have on 'show bounding box') absolutely out of nowhere. The program then proceeds to get very glitchy when trying to move the selected text, then crashes and shuts down. Doesn't allow transformations. I find myself restarting the program multiple times a day and it is honestly unacceptable. This is the most up to date version of illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. "Save for Web (Legacy)" defaults to some arbitrary folder (on Win10)

Whenever I do a "Save for Web (Legacy)" the first time in an Illustrator session, it defaults to some arbitrary location that has nothing to do with... well, anything. I think it might have been the location I used the first time I issued the command under Illustrator 22.0, but that was months ago, so I can't say for sure.

If I choose a different directory and save my images/slices there, that's becomes the new default directory for the remainder of that Illustrator session. But if I exit and restart Illustrator, it's back to defaulting to a location that makes…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. fix 'sticky' text boxes within sublayers

Fire up Illustrator 22.0 or 22.1 and create a new document.

Select the Text tool and draw a rectangular area. Fill it with placeholder text. Select the Rectangle tool and draw a filled rectangle (non-overlapping, though it doesn't matter).

Double click some word in the text box and start typing. Then in the Layers panel, click the 'select art' square corresponding to the filled rectangle. The rectangle becomes selected and the text box is deselected and all is good and well.

Deselect everything, hilight the rectangle and textbox objects in the Layers panel, and "Collect in New Layer". This puts…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Illustrator 22.1 crashing on MacOS high sierra every time I try and save work

Hi Adobe tem,

I have just updated Illustrator to version 22.1 from my creative cloud and it is crashing every time I try and save (both locally and to the server). I am running MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.5

Will there be a bug fix coming as I have noticed a lot of other people commenting with similar issues.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

16. Illustrator CC 2018 in macOS High Sierra Save 'Adobe PDF' presets/.joboptions scrambled, unsorted, mixed up

Since the Illustrator CC got updated to 2018 in macOS High Sierra, whenever saving as Adobe PDF, the PDF print settings/job options got all scrambled/mixed up in the 'Save Adobe PDF' dialog.

These should be sorted alphabetically, but as you can see they're all mixed up. A couple of colleagues are also experiencing this. Is there any way to workaround/fix this issue? See related thread from InDesign - could a startup JSX fix this issue?

See my original post on the Illustrator users forum: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10419940#

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

17. Blob brush describes a path, not a form

Recently, when I use blob brush with my wacom one, it describes a path, not a form. If I use the mouse, blob brush works well. I do not know how can I solve it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Font drop down doesn't work on CS6 all of the sudden

I have Windows 10 and Illustrator CS6. Worked great until a couple weeks back.
    The font drop down does not work at all. Not in character map, not in type>fonts.
    I unisntalled Illustrator CS6, Re-downloaded the file from Adobe, re-installed. nothing
    I uninstalled windows 10 updates for 2 months... nothing...
    Please I need this to work!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. SVG href property exports incorrectly

When illustrator exports SVGs, it sometimes will use the href property to reference something like an embedded image or gradient from the <defs>, which is reasonable. Docs for the href property here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/href

However, safari does not support href yet, and will completely drop the reference, making SVGs widely render incorrectly in safari, up to the latest version. In order to make them work properly, the deprecated xlink:href property must also be used, docs below:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/xlink:href

All bases can be covered by including both the href and xlink:href properties, until all modern browsers have fully adopted the SVG2 spec.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Clipping mask not working

When I try to create a clipping mask with a photo and a vector shape nothing happens. I draw a circle over the photo and use shortcut Ctrl+7 and absolutely nothing happens.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base