Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7415 results found

1. Pathfinder works wrong

I have an ellipse with radial fill and I want it to be partially cropped by rectangle.
    I select both rectangle with no fill, intersecting my circle, and apply Divide from Pathfinder.
    I expect middle part to have gradient, positioned as uncut circle, but it becomes clear.
    If i swap order of these objects, middle part has gradient, but AI resets it's position.
    AICC2018

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Slow Type Performance

I just recently updated to 22.1 running on Windows 10. I have a list of names that was copied from two columns (first name, last name) that was copied from an Excel spreadsheet. I'm trying to remove the tabs between the columns and replace them with spaces. Once I hit the backspace key it takes approximately 5 seconds to perform the backspace and another couple of seconds to add the space. This is a list of several hundred names so it is unmercifully crippling. Other operations outside of type are somewhat laggy but not nearly as bad. I cleared out…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. unknown error (CANT)

I am working in the image trace to remove the white background of my jpeg photo and it gives me the unknown error (CANT). Please advise what to do. thanks.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Adobe Illustrator is Changing the Colors Defined in My Swatches?

I am trying to create a color swatch library that mages the Pantone color manage applications values... But I am noticing when I define a specific swatch and then reopen it the values are different then what I orginially entered.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Image Trace only creates a white box

The "Image Trace" function only creates a solid white box, regardless of what image trace option I select.

Using the new Illustrator CC 2018.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. In a Group (Isolation mode), cannot set a sub-Group as key-object for alignment

Illustrator CC 2018
    Windows 10

I have a Group, containing other sub-Groups.
    I enter Isolation mode by double-clicking on the Group.
    Once inside, I select all sub-Groups and want to set one of them as key-object for alignment. I can't.
    It works with single objects but not with sub-Groups. It's very handicapping.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Selecting font for styled text

While trying to change the font of a styled text box by scrolling throgh the font list, the list glitches and closes. Sometimes selecting a different font randomly and sometimes there font of the text box stays the same.
    Happening on multiple files with different-styled text. The issure does not seem to happen while working with regular-styled text.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

8. Illustrator CC 2018 Crashes when using Specified Steps (Blend Tool)

I'm having a problem in the 2018 version of Illustrator when using Specified Steps under the Blend Tool. The problem occurs when I click preview in the Blend Options box after selecting Specified Steps. Upon clicking preview a progress box pops up that says "Reading Illustrator File" and basically sits there. When I loose patience and close out, the whole program shuts down. I've never experienced this before in any previous version of illustrator and was hoping someone could help shed some light on the issue. Thanks in advance.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

9. Transform and Transform again

Older versions of Transform again would let you transform any object the same as the previous object. This function no longer works. If I draw a box and transform it, I want to be able to transform a text object the same without using percentages. Because I am not always transforming a percentage. I may be transforming different objects to be the same height, but the tool does not allow this anymore. Please bring back the original functionality of this tool.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Offset pen tool

When I try to draw with the pen tool the point is a couple points offset from where I click with the cursor. I have the latest version of Illustrator on my MacBook Pro and it just started doing this while I was in the middle of a project. I've tried restarting Illustrator but that didn't fix anything.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Illustrator crashing repeatedly

Since upgrading to the previous release of Illustrator (current version 22.0.1) Illustrator has been crashing repeatedly. Sometimes for no reason, but most frequently on Save (Cmd+S or menu item). This occurs roughly 30 times per day.

Since updating to 22.0.1 when Illustrator crashes it also deletes all preferences in eluding keyboard shortcuts, user interface settings, file handling, performance - all of it.

Every time the programs crashes it leaves [random string].tmp files in the original files location.

I have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall on Illustrator, a seperate complete uninstall and reinstall of Creative Cloud and all apps -…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

12. Illustrator uses UI scaling for menus from main display in dual display setup

Windows 10, version 1803
    Illustrator CC (22.1)

I have a dual display setup. Display 1 is 109ppi (27", 2560x1440) set to 100% UI scale in Windows settings. Display 2 is 282ppi (15.6", 3840x2160) set to 225% UI scale in Windows settings.

Illustrator is set to 'scale to higher supported scale factor'

If Illustrator is placed on display 2, with display 1 set as the 'main' or primary display in windows settings, Most UI items within Illustrator display as expected but menus and some other items become unreadable, because Illustrator appears to take its UI scaling setting from the display set…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Move dialogue is broken when Y-axis is flipped

Problem Description:
    Since AI team had Y-axis flipped, users who want to keep it the old way have to manually set flags in prefs file to undo these changes:
    /isRulerIn4thQuad 0
    /isRulerOriginTopLeft 0

It works fine except it breaks setting negative distance in Move dialogue.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Change said flags to 1
    2. Relaunch AI
    3. Create and select an object
    4. Press Enter to invoke Move dialogue
    5. Set vertical position to any positive number and apply
    6. Invoke dialogue again
    7. Set same vertical value, but negative (you can also select any other object before that)…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. "Apply value and keep text box active" using key command Shift + Return does not work on Mac OS

when you change something in the Character panel... for example the tracking... and you want to keep trying new values without selecting the field every time you used to be able to hit Shift + Return and it would automatically highlight the field while applying the current value... this made it easy to continue to try new amounts. PLEASE FIX THIS!!! Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Laggy Performance with Rulers turned on

Enabling rulers degrades AI performance, especially with regards to Smart Guides and object mouseover highlighting.

The effect is the same whether GPU preview or CPU preview is used.

Attached is a sample file with a few hundred rectangles.

With Rulers off, mousing over the objects results in immediate highlighting of every object, and immediate Smart Guide anchor/path annotations.

With Rulers on, mousing over results in missing highlights - AI can't keep up and only displays highlights and annotations intermittently.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Right click menu location bug. Win10 200% scaling.

When I do right click, coordinate of context menu location doesn't double and located at the center between of cursor and top left corner of the workspace. This bug happens at all CC versions support Hi-dpi displays. Absolutely clean Windows, Illustrator, no plugins.

https://youtu.be/WySXd6viYac

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Pasting in front (ctrl+f) places objects outside of the sublayer I am working in.

When I am working in a document I quite often copy and use ctrl+f to paste a duplicate in the same location so that I can just slide it sideways, negating the need for me to locate the object using both X and Y. In one of the recent updates this function has broken somewhat. It has been a nuisance for a while that it tries to paste in the layer it was copied from, but now it does the complete opposite, even when I am in a layer it always pastes outside, unless I select the layer between every…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Illustrator CC crashes every time I try to Export for Screens

Illustrator has crashed 12 consecutive times when I Export for Screens but only when I choose SVG as output.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Illustrator crashes when opening a file using 'double click' that has missing fonts.

Version: Adobe Illustrator 2018 CC v 22.0.1 (64 bit)

Step 1: I open a blank Illustrator for the first time and it opens fine.

Step 2: I double click a PDF from the back of an email attachment/the desktop etc and the file then tries to open in Illustrator.

Step 3: The file opens but at the same time a blank 'missing font' dialogue box appears and Illustrator crashes. (The missing font is 'Helvetica-bold')

Step 4: I have to close Illustrator using the task manager.

This only happens when the FIRST file I open is opened by double clicking it.…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

20. Resizing Bug

Been having a lot of issues with a bug in the last couple weeks. I frequently find that the bounding box disappears (even when I have on 'show bounding box') absolutely out of nowhere. The program then proceeds to get very glitchy when trying to move the selected text, then crashes and shuts down. Doesn't allow transformations. I find myself restarting the program multiple times a day and it is honestly unacceptable. This is the most up to date version of illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base