Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7459 results found

1. Opening CC 2015 files that have missing links causes the program to hang/crash

Old 2015 save files which have a missing linked file cause CC 2018 to hang when opening the file. Opening the file in 2015 bring up the dialogue box 'missing file, do you want to continue to open'. It seems 2018 cant show the dialogue box or some strange bug so it hangs.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Transform Each object in an isolated group transform the group instead

Select all objects in a Group and Transform Each will Transform each object WHILE ALSO TRANSFORMING THE WHOLE GROUP TOWARDS IT'S CENTRAL POINT. This directly contradicts the conventional meaning of "Transform Each".
    The workaround is to deselect one of the objects in the Group, which is why this is a Bug- the workaround is a kludge fix.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Key Object Performance Issues

When aligning to a complex key object, the performance is terrible. When I click on a complex object (say, a group of complex paths or illustrations) to set it as the key object, it lags for several seconds after clicking before I can click an alignment tool. The length of the lag depends on how complex the key object is. This behavior never occurred in prior versions of illustrator. Very annoying.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Slow performans on Mac OSX

Hi,
    I have been having this problem for a long time. I thought the problem originated from me and I bought a new computer but I have been disappointed.
    This problem is has constantly on the Mac system and I did a test today. I saw that Windows pc is more stable. This is a serious problem.
    This problem is has in many projects. Normally, a computer with this feature should give very good results.

Please consider this situation urgent.

Mac system info

4K retina
    3,6 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 560 OpenGL 4096…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Can't Export Png File

Hello,

I am trying to export my illustration in png at 300 dpi, but everytime it is showing me the attached error. It's not with this file only. Even if I am trying to export a simple rectangle, I am getting the same error. I am using windows 8.1 pro and illustrator version is 2018.

Kindly help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Missing Layers

Opened my document this morning and all the correct layers were there, closed out because I made no changes so there was nothing to save. reopened my document again all my layers were gone! only showing the orginal base image. Help

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Transform grayed out

Very frequently (might be even 50 percent of the time) when I select an object the "Transform" and "Arrange" options in the "Object" menu (as well as the associated keystrokes) are grayed out as unavailable. When I deselect the menu and then select the menu again the "Transform" and "Arrange" options have magically become available. Selecting the menu a second time always "fixes" this.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Export fails for path item with pattern stroke

Using File -> Export -> Save for Web or File -> Export -> Export For Screens (at scale greater than 1x) will give an error: "Could not complete this operation. An unknown error has occurred". This error only occurs when this particular item is visible and involved in the area to be exported.
    See attached file and screenshots including that of mentioned path item.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Illustrator-specific MS Surface Wheel options have disappeared

Arrange, artboard and other illustrator Surface Wheel tool shortcuts have disappeared, and have been replaced with the OS standard ones.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. blend line "profile" interpolation not working

I was trying out the new quick tip that was posted on youtube for "linocut" blend lines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCyE91-D-KI

I was trying to blend between a variety of line types and follow along with the demo and noticed that my up-to-date copy of illustrator is not doing any tip interpolation.

I downloaded the demo file from the video page and the tip blending works, but in the photo I provide shows my attempt to blend on the right and the tips are square.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Following is the result of investigation:
    This issue happens with blends created when stroke with flat edge is applied to one path then later variable width profile is changed.

Workaround: Select the blend object, Release the blend, change path’s Variable width profile to Uniform, and then apply desired Variable width profile again, Now try apply Blend.

11. Chart inaccuracies

The chart tool often creates inaccurately sized shapes. This is especially noticeable in pie charts.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Added To Backlog  ·  8 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Selection of all objects inside a group instead selects group

In previous versions of Illustrator if I was inside a group, and I selected all the objects, it would treat it like typical multi-selection. Now once I've selected all the objects, Illustrator behaves as though I have selected the group.

For example, I have 3 objects at 40% opacity. I group them, so now there's a group (with 100% opacity) containing 3 objects (at 40% opacity). When I enter the isolated group, and I select the first object, the transparency shows 40%. Nothing changes when I select the second object (still shows 40%). However, when I select the third object,…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.2.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

13. Selection marquee is difficult to see when transparency grid is enabled

With the transparency grid enabled, when selecting objects with the selection tool by dragging the cursor, the marquee line for the selection is difficult to see. In the attached image, the selection marquee line can be barely seen (thin dashed line) on top of the black paths but not on top of the grid.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. "Envelope distort > Make with top object" is warping/distorting text.

I've seen this issue in a lot of online forums, but found no answer. I'm using the CC trial version, fairly new to Illustrator.

Online tutorials show users creating a shape > typing text > converting text to outline > move shape to front > selecting shape and text > Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object. It shapes the text perfectly to shape, without distorting the font or curving the letters.

But when I follow these steps, but my text always comes out wavy and distorted within the shape. I've tried Envelope Options and deselecting "Distort Appearance"…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Rearrange All Artboards does not move artwork with it when spacing is adjusted

1. OS X / Adobe CC 2018 (OS X is where this document ran into this issue, but if it helps troubleshoot, it is being passed back and forth between a Windows 10 machine).

2. I have a document with multiple artboards. I needed to increase the spacing between them. I went to Rearrange All Artboards where "Move Art with Artboard" was already selected from multiple previous re-arrangings. I changed the spacing from 20px to 60px.

3. I expected the artboards to have the new spacing, with art in the same location.

4. The artboards had the new spacing, but the art on every…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

16. Freeze on First File Opened if it has Missing Fonts

Illustrator CC version 22.1

1) Launch Illustrator
    2) Open Ai file
    3) If the first file I open after launching Ai has missing fonts the program freezes before it populates the missing fonts dialogue box. I have to force quit the application from task manager and relaunch.

Any subsequent files that are opened after the first file do not have this issue regardless of missing fonts. I am currently working around this issue by opening a file that I know has no missing fonts first before I'm able to open any files that may…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Pantone colours not appearing correctly in email preview

When I convert a CMYK colour to pantone and then rasterize it into an image (cmyk) to make it smaller for sending, in the email preview (gmail) the pantone colour appears completely wrong.

file is saved as pdf (cmyk). file is created also in cmyk

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

18. blending application inconsistent in groups and appearance

To reproduce the problem, in RGB document, set up a rectangle with fill and outline, on top of some colored background shape.
    Using Appearance panel modify blending and opacity of fill and stroke to use anything other than normal blending. Then change the whole object's opacity, so it has "isolate blending" checkbox checked.

Now try selecting any option for blending mode, other than Normal.
    All blending modes are ignored and cause no change in appearance.
    Now, select one of the blending modes anyways.
    Then expand the appearance of the object. Illustrator will create a group with path elements in the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Drop shadows unnecessarily re-render when placing new images, slowing workflow

As of 5/22/18 using Illustrator 22.1, all existing drop shadow effects within document re-render each time a new image is placed. Rendering can take up to 30 seconds to process (a Progress dialogue box appears), which slows down workflow considerably.

This is never an issue with InDesign or Photoshop, so I'd love to see this fixed in Illustrator. Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Freeze during heavy detail

I'm working on a macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4 MacBook Pro on Illustrator 22.1

When I have a detailed design - ie a palm tree with numerous branches. I try and resize it or copy paste it and the program freezes then my whole computer freezes and I have to restart the computer.

I expect this program to be able to handle designs with heavy detail and not freeze up every single time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base