"Save As" window - CMD+C, CMD+V, CMD+X, CMD+A don't work.
macOS Catalina V10.15.1
Illustrator 2020 v24.0
- Open app
- Open any ai file (or make a new one)
- CMD+Sift+S (or choose File/Save As...)
- After Save As window appears,
- try with a keyboard to copy (or select) filename.
- You can select with mouse filename (or part of the filename)
- Use CMD+C
- Try to paste to notepad what you "copy" You can paste only what was in the clipboard before steps 2
CMD+C, CMD+V, CMD+X, CMD+A don't work.
Shortcut keys not working in “New Folder” dialog within Save As dialog is tracked with this issue – https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/39374122
Overall issue of shortcut keys not working in Save As dialog is fixed in Illustrator version 24.0.1
I have this issue as well.
With the new Illustrator 2020 update, when I am placing or opening multiple files, I am unable to use the 'command A' option to select all. Instead I have to manually shift click.
Hello looks like when I do cmd+shift+s to save the file I am not able to copy and paste the name of the file I would like to safe using the short cuts of the keyboard. I am only able to do so when I use the right click and use the mouse to paste/copy and cut..
i am on a late 2015 macbookpro and last update for ios and Illustrator
Thank you and have a nice day
When you go to save and the save dialog box opens, the Command + A keystroke won't select the whole file name, I've noticed. Running MacOS Catalina and the v24 of Illustrator.
Max Chionh commented
Imagine using the most beautiful and comfortable toilet bowl with a seat warmer, auto sensors to know when to lift the seat, an auto-adjustable bidet with the perfect water temperature, massage functions, speakers to play your desired music and an adjustable monitor to watch your favourite shows. The only caveat is that the toilet doesn't flush.
I know that Adobe is always working towards improving its programmes and user experience/workflow. I am not a programmer, so I do not understand anything about software programming. All I know is that CTRL/CMD+C and CTRL/CMD+V is a basic function that I have been using for the past 20 years. Please at least get that right. We pay a lot of money for this and my company has a long and specific filenaming process that we need to copy and paste from a software. You have no idea how much trouble you have caused me with this bug.
Do update soon. Thank you.
Just to piggyback this issue, the copy/paste has been broken for numerous versions in one other key way. Previously we are unable to copy/paste text from Illustrator files and paste it in the Save-as window. This should also be addressed, as the notepad copy/paste has already been a workaround for something that should work like other Adobe apps.
Not sure if this is a Windows issue as well, but this has been something I have had to workaround the past few years on Mac with Illustrator CC.
Adobe management team has a goal to break few basic workflows each release. Well done!
Here are few of their achievements!
Few bugs that they have broken in CC 2020
1. you cannot copy paste in finder dialog - I loved the way I could easily make a copy of file before saving a version
2. you cannot save files (saw lot of comments on forum, does not impact me personally)
3. change layer colors - My clients had used color coded layers as an standard. Now I have to open each file and change layer colors!
4. there was an annoying issue with focus in rotate dialog in CC 2019, they fixed it after few months after lot of customer complaints. Someone decided to break that again. Come on you have to be innovative. you cannot use the same bug to trouble your customers.
5. Most users saying save is slower and not 200% fast as claimed at MAX
Thank you Adobe, this is 'customer happiness'
another basic workflow broken in CC 2020. shame
David Woo commented
I work on a Mac and since I've been using Illustrator 2020 I have not been able to copy/paste text in the Save As dialogue box. From my observations the "Save As" window disables the keyboard shortcut commands for Illustrator; Select All, Copy, Cut, Paste... It's all disabled until you exit the window. (Illustrator will recognize the input because the "Edit" in the menu bar highlights when you press the keys, but still, nothing happens.) From my experience this is a problem exclusive to Illustrator. No other program on my computer has this issue. I did notice that right clicking and selecting "copy/cut/paste/etc." works, but this is NOT an ideal fix by any means.
Jack B commented
Yes, I agree with the below comments. I'm glad that this has already been posted here.
Another user notified me about a workaround for now so that we don't have to re-type the file name. If you do the right click and then select "paste" it pastes the copied text. It is still annoying, and an extra step, but at least you do not have to type it out.
I look forward to this bug being fixed.
Jeffrey D Mertins commented
Mac updated again this AM and now my copy of a file name is not pasting over the name in the save dialog box.
1. This only started happening after updating to version 24.0.0.
2. I'm not sure a video would demonstrate this. How would it capture me typing Command-C in the save dialog box and Illustrator not responding to that command by copying the file name to the clipboard.
3. I have also found that it is not file specific as newly created files in v.24.0.0. are doing the same thing. It just will not copy the file name from the save dialog box ever with any file I open or create.
4. I've isolated this glitch to Illustrator. I'm able to copy the file name in the latest versions of Photoshop/InDesign with no issue.
I just want to be able copy/paste my file name so I don't have to re-write it. It used to work flawlessly.