1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

4353 results found

1. Convert text to outlines on open

If fonts are missing on open, give the option to expand/convert to outlines. I work in the sign industry, It is a huge hassle to contact customers to have them convert it and re-send it. They frequently don't know how/didn't make the artwork to begin with. I typically get around this using acrobat watermark trick, but it's very time consuming. We have over 6,000 fonts, and we still have missing fonts all the time.

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

We have started working on the tech that allows us to enable the following:

• Ability to convert the outlined/expanded text back to live text.
    • Ability to lock objects to a character/glyph of a live text, allowing users to change the text (properties) while the object stays locked into the character.

As we work through the complexities of handling different font families, font size, and other font properties, we would love to meet with you and share our thinking around it and understand :

• Your use cases and workflows that this feature will help you with.
    • What is most essential for you.
    • The workarounds that you currently use to achieve this.

If you are interested, please pick a time slot that works for you using this link. https://calendly.com/meetai/60min?month=2023-01

2. Illustrator 88's pen tool worked better than this one

Please, please... does anyone at Adobe actually draw with the current pen tool? This is the main tool in your toolbox and it hasn't had a good flow since Illustrator 10. You should be able to draw and use modifier keys to change to the +, - and ^ with ease. Instead, the cursor flashes and gives you one teensy moment when any of those are available resulting in additional points being placed when you might, for instance, be trying to remove a point. The direction handles get in the way of reaching points. Segments are selected too easily when…

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Yogesh Sharma responded

We would like to understand more about this request. Please me us know if you can talk to us on a call to demonstrate the issues in detail.

Thanks,
    Yogesh

3. An ability to permanently move the transformation center (pivot, anchor) when rotating, scaling, etc.

Rotation center point should be able to remain with objects and groups and then used when rotating an object using the bounding box controls.

I want to be able to permanently edit (and reset) an object's (or group's) rotation axis (center point). I want the new rotation axis to apply for subsequent rotation transformations, for example when using the bounding box controls.

Currently, the rotation tool (r) allows you to pick up and move an object's center, and then rotate the object around that point. Great, except that point disappears as soon as you exit the rotation tool, which isn't…

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Locked objects Show a "lock" icon Like InDesign

A great feature to have in Illustrator is to unlock the locked object by clicking on the Lock icon next to the object. its hard to tell which object is locked except by going to object -> unlock All, or Check the Layers Panel. Adobe InDesign has this feature for years.

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Links 'Reveal in Finder / Explorer' function as in InDesign

Add an extra Links panel function under or above 'Reveal in Bridge' called maybe 'Reveal in Finder', as already exists in InDesign.

89 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. "Edit original with" option needed or ability to set a default program for Illustrator only

Clicking on "Edit original" for jpgs etc. within Illustrator opens the image in the OS default program for that file type (ie. Preview on Mac). I don't wish to change the system wide default as it isn't practical to open PS to view every jpg, but there is no option to "Edit original with…" as there is in InDesign within Illustrator. There is no work around within the program at all.
    IN short: ADD AN EDIT ORIGINAL WITH MENU OPTION or allow us to set a program only default!!

88 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Planned  ·  Neeraj Nandkeolyar responded

We are working towards giving preference to Photoshop for editing linked images, if Ps is installed. This may mean the label showing as ‘Edit on Photoshop’ when an linked image is selected. The change does not affect OS level file type associations.

8. Disable "hover scrolling to change numeric value in input fields"! At least an option to do so

it's super maddening and frustrating. I often have to use trackpad to do work and this activates so easily. Please provide an option to turn this off. Thanks

88 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Option to disable 'Recent Fonts' feature.

I hate having to scroll from the top of the fonts list every time i'm searching for a new font. Currently, in preferences there is an option for only 1 recent font, however, i'd like to be able to disable this feature completely.

87 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

10. Support 16 bit images / iOS 11 Screenshots distorted

Screenshots made in iOS 11 are distorted when open or used in AI. Distortion persists during export to pdf.

AI 21.1.0
    macOS 10.12.6
    MacBook Pro 2017

All other tested Image Softwares displayed the screenshot correctly (Photoshop CC, Preview, Chrome, Safari)

87 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Layer Panel Rename + tab

This one is (or sounds) easy and would mimick Photoshop’s function :
    I need to be able to rename layers in a row without scripting, by simply typing tab to go to the next visible layer’s name.

• it would really help with Character Animator's process.

Step by step :

I’m in the Layers panel.
    Those are badly named (layer 1, layer 2, layer 7…)
    I double click on the top layer (1) name to change it.
    I type « item A »
    Then i press Tab once.
    I’m now in the « layer 2 » name field, and all is…

86 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Artboard background color needs to be user-assignable

We need to be able to change artboard background color.

Working on pure white is straining on the eyes and it's rarely appropriate for non-print projects (99% of my work). Having to draw colored rectangles, lock them or put them on separate layers, and then manage them when we resize or duplicate artboards is painful and tedious.

Let's have an icon for it next to the artboard name (in the Artboard palette) where we can choose a swatch (including transparent).

Let's support changing multiple artboard colors at once with multi-selection.

Thank you!

85 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Flow chart connectors

Basic flow chart connectors- making either end of a path object stick to the edge, middle or corner of another object surely isn't that hard programmatically for your coders? Leave it to us to sort out where the paths go if you like but this functionality seems pretty basic (and universally demanded) for the Illustrator user.

84 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Added a slug area in document setup

In InDesign's document setup, there are Slug settings in addition to Bleed.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/set-print-bleed.html

There is no a slug area in Illustrator. As a result, users are stacking another large artboard underneath the artboard as an alternative to a slug area. This situation should be remedied by adding Slug settings.

InDesignのドキュメント設定には、裁ち落としに加えて印刷可能領域の設定があります。
    Illustratorには印刷可能領域の設定がありません。そのためユーザーはかわりに別の大きなサイズのアートボードを下に重ねています。この現状は印刷可能領域の設定を追加することで改善されなければいけません。

82 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Implement quick filter in Layers panel

On large documents designers very often give names to objects in document structure for improve navigation in structure. But now there are no way to quickly find object by name in document, except custom scripts.

For solve this problem please implement quick filter input field in Layers panel interface, for quickly search objects by part of his name (like filter in Fonts list).

Even if designer don't add names, via this filter we will can quick find all curves, all rectangles, all circles, all curves, all guides, etc, so it will be very useful.

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

This functionality is available in our latest release build – 27.6.1. 

The new functionality allows searching layers by name using the searchbar in the layers panel. The users can also apply filters based on layer properties (locked, hidden etc) or objects properties (effects, text etc.). This will help to quickly find layers/objects for large documents (having multiple layers).

Read more about this - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/whats-new/2023-5.html#search-and-filter

Thank you for all the feedback.

16. Prevent "Align paragraph" from moving the text from its position

It's by far the thing that annoys me the most about Illustrator;
    when you have your point text already positioned you need it to be aligned to a side and when you press the "align" button in the paragraph options the text moves and aligns to its previous center.
    It's a complete time-waster!

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add Folders in Layers panel

Given that Photoshop can group layers into folders, Illustrator should have the same capacity to bring the experience closer together.

It would allow for greater flexibility when editing artwork.

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Select inside marquee window

Create a toggle-able feature like the one found in many CAD programs:
    Select ONLY the objects ENTIRELY inside the selection window marquee via the following methods:
    1. hold Shift+drag
    2. Dragging left-to-right enables "select inside", dragging right-to-left enables "select touching" (as per most CAD programs)

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Excited to share that the requested functionality is now available in the public builds starting from V 28.3.0.

WIth the new Enclosed Mode, you can now select ONLY those objects which are completely INSIDE the marquee. 

To activate the Enclosed Mode, just press 'E' ONCE after you start doing the marquee with the Normal Selection Tool or Group Selection tool. 

Please note that, 

1. The button E acts as a toggle, which means you just have to press E once, to get into or out of the enclosed mode.

2. You have to press E only after doing the marquee, pressing E in empty canvas will invoke the Free Transform tool or the tool the shortcut 'E' is assigned to.

We made a lot of effort in building this capability, so please try it out and let us what you all think!

19. Please update to allow newer Pantone swatches to be usable.

For years Pantone's new colors have been released, yet I can't upload those books into Illustrator. So for years I've been able to see colors I can't use. Super frustrating. I use the Coated Color Bridge book in spot and cmyk. If I'm doing something wrong, PLEASE enlighten me!

79 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Relative paths for linked assets

An option to use relative paths for linked assets. Because links use absolute paths, simply moving the folder your artwork is in will break the links unless the links are in the same folder. For example:

c:\artwork\project-1234\layout.ai
    c:\artwork\project-1234\assets\logo.jpg
    c:\artwork\standard-title-block.ai

If logo.jpg and standard-title-block.ai are both linked to inside of layout.ai, renaming the project folder will break the links. Moving the project folder will break the links.

Instead of storing the link paths absolutely, store them relatively. This way at least renaming the folder will preserve both links and moving the folder will only break links that point to file outside…

78 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With Beta build 28.5.66 Illustrator starts to store the relative paths of all placed objects along with the original (full) path. In that way, if a linked file is not found in the original (full) path, it can be resolved via the relative path thus brings the interpretability between win and mac etc.

Please try and see if this build does it correctly and behaves in the way you expect it to when dealing with paths for links.

Comment back in any way!

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base