Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or
  1. Recent Colors, Colors Normalization, Color Auto-Palette

I'd love for 2 new swatches to become available, and a new feature. The first swatch would be "recent colors" and be auto-generated, showing similar colors grouped. It would have the option to auto-merge similar colors together, and also the ability to adjust 1 color and have it change instances of that color in the art. The second swatches would be an auto-generated group called a "palette/scheme" and this would make it easy to copy color for various css code

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Last used script

Please, add a command inside File > Scripts (above the line) to execute last accessed script. A have tons of these and not all of them are bound to shortcuts and smarty palettes. Sometimes I have to apply same script several times and have to dig in all 4-5 folders inside to get right one.

And, please, make it shortcut-able.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Widen the list after "Open Recent Items", or always show the extension at the end.

I would like to suggest more width for the list of recent items, so the extension is always visible. Or don't widen it, but always use the smaller right part of the list for the extension.

My problem is that i work in a .AI file, then save copies for export or compatible EPS versions for my supplier or customer. If my filename is too long the extension disappears, and i cannot longer open the file from the recent items as i don;t know if i open the AI, EPS or PDF version.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Copy multiple artboards between files.

Copy, merge and save artboards between files. For example select multiple artboards, copy to other file, or save as .artboard file... Option to paste or merge this file/clipboard to other open document. Makes it easier to maintain libraries, icons, style elements etc in one file to work with or to share.

229 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

This functionality now is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

You may read about this functionality here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new/2020-1.html#cut_copy

What’s new in 24.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

5. Files look the same

After I've had open a few files when I tap on a different file to make changes all the files I tap on in Illustrator look the same?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. File preview in home screen limited to art board

In the home screen previews of the most recent files are available, but the preview includes all objects in the document, regardless of the art board(s), so that the preview does not necessarily reflect the artwork very well.

(I routinely include loads of stuff outside the edge of the art board, copies of elements I’m working on, template objects, etc. Which are part of my work process, but are just noise when it shows up on my preview.)

I therefore suggest that the preview only includes objects (or parts of objects) within the art board(s).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. .ait files

There is a problem with .ait files that cannot be opened unless you drag them into the illustrator

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Show linked files from Illustrator files in Bridge

It works for Photoshop and InDesign files, why not for Illustrator ones? All of them are built on the XMP platform.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. This might actually be useful in other products but have an "open frequent" as well as open recent, if you have to load a file alot

I was thinking you could add hexadecimal count in file so only adding a byte of data but then what happens when you share files ect, I don't know if there is already a easy way already in the metadata you could implement it

Now I know you can create libraries to sort of do what I'm saying or bridge.

A couple of situations where it would be useful loading up logo for a frequent client or company you work for.

If you have been working on a project with a few different files day and night for months, then…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Maintaining colour levels between PS & AI on linked files??

Issue: linked PS(CMYK) file into AI(CMYK) appears in AI with difference colour values from the original PS file.

Only way around it I was told by Adobe is to directly "open" the PS doc in AI not "place" to maintain the colour values. They also had told me that this is the expect behaviour of the software.

I feel this is a serious flaw for files for print, I have always used AI to set up my packaging print files and never had an issue I think this must be a recent update.

Does anyone known of a work around…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Open Corel Designer files (DES) in Adobe Illustrator

For the transition from Corel Designer to Adobe Illustrator you should be able to open Corel Designer files (DES) in Adobe Illustrator. At least the import should be possible. This would be a great benefit for users like me, who want to switch to Adobe Illustrator.
    On the other side especially AI files can always be opened in Corel Designer.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Better performance over networks by automatically copying files locally...

We store all our files on a network drive. Now I know that illustrator performance improves if I copy the network files locally before opening them in illustrator, but this is a major pain because I have to copy them back afterwards and if there are linked assets involved it becomes too much having to verify that all the links are pointing to the correct location.

It would be nice if AI had an option to do this copying automatically so that all non-local files that are opened are copied first into a temporary local directory and then saved back…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance, Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Global Swatches for Imported Files

When opening Illustrator files saved in other programs (Rhino, AutoCAD, etc), the default swatches never show up (probably because it was made in an outside program). It would be an immense timesaver if we could have those swatches (or even a user defined swatch) automatically populate the swatch panel.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Import plt (hpgl) files

I want to import plt files directly in Illustrator.
    Today I have to use an online converter or import the plt file using Front Design or even CorelDraw.
    This file (.plt) is generated by the Audaces program.
    No even the dxf file exported by Audaces is imported by Illustrator. The Illustrator only import the code instead.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Save export settings for individual files

Please put together all the wishes regarding being able to save export settings for individual files, that means custom settings for means, path, formats, prefix and all!
    Otherwise I have to change the settings, which are quite specific, every single time I export from a file.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It's a shame that third party programs can open old freehand files.

It's a shame that third party programs can open old freehand files.
    Affinity designer can do it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Adobe installers for Mac install corrupt files

Adobe installers for Mac install corrupt files, as shown by DiskWarrior "Files - Check All Files and Folders”. For instance:

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/LWA/amtservices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/._Info.plist

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/LWA/asneu.framework/Versions/A/Resources/._Info.plist

It would be great if Adobe checked that to make sure all files are OK before releasing installers. Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Save all modified files simultaneously

I would like to see the option for "Save All..." added to the file menu. There are many times when I am preflighting and prepping multiple open files related to the same project. Instead of cycling through to each file and saving, I would like to have the ability to save all modified files at the same time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. crashed and erased my project file? from two hard drives?

Just letting you know I just updated AI and it just crashed and the project file I was working on (that I had saved to two separate external hard drives) is nowhere to be found now, it didn't show up in my recent files and now I have searched where it was saved on both hard drives and it is completely gone. Awesome. So I guess my request is that if illustrator crashes make it to where it at least doesn't delete the project completely, and autosave backup would be nice but I'd really rather not have to start projects…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance, Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base