Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

868 results found

1. export files from draw/ipad to illustrator/imac of a different account to allow collaboration

I used to be able to copy drawings using the clipboard from my account to an iMac with a different account, but I am no longer able to do that and there is no other pathway to transfer the files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. SVG import/export destroys details for SVG-files generated by Inkscape

Whenever I open a SVG-file in Illustrator that was generated by Inkscape, very frequently details are destroyed. A message appears stating that "round-way to tiny" may have exactly done this.
    This bug makes it impossible to collaboratively work on figures with colleagues that do not use Illustrator, but Inkscape instead.

I am using Illustrator CC 22.1.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Exporting files - range settings resetting for different file types

Is it possible for the page 'range' to reset when exporting different file types? It's really frustrating when I've been exporting a few single pages to jpeg for example, and then when exporting a PDF of the document it retains the page range. It's a small issue, but is pretty annoying!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Metadata enhancements for artboard to invidual file (save/export)

Wish - Metadata enhancements
    1) Document level metadata to be exported and added when artboards are exported as individual files
    2) Ability to add overrides at artboard level for metadata, which on export is carried forward into the individual files generated

Scenario:
    I often create a series of images by using arboards, as they are related and worked on as a mini-project (e.g. series of icons, part of online learning story-boards, series of progressive diagrams etc.). I export these for use by individual staff, who use graphics in PowerPoint, Word, LMS, InDesign projects etc.
    Note: InDesign docs are converted to…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Moving Artboards and Locked Layers

The latest CC updates' new feature allows locked/hidden layers to move when you move an artboard. This doesn't make sense since locked should mean locked. I am running into problems now because my company uses a lot of artboards to make print-production files, and sometimes you need to re-arrange the artboards while working on the file.
    There should be a way to turn this feature on or off. Such as "keep locked/hidden layers locked when moving/duplicating artboards, or allow locked and hidden elements to move when artboard moves"

77 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

6. Network drives support

I can't believe what I read on this Adobe support page (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html) about using Illustrator files only on your LOCAL drive.
    How is it possible Adobe drove it's software into this nightmare?
    If we really can't acces and save our files on a local network drive then I am really done with it...

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please provide some information in order to reproduce the issue on our end. Please provide the below information –
    The version of Illustrator you are using ?
    Hardware details?
    Your operating system?
    Is this happening even with a small file?
    Can you please share the file with which this is happening every time you save on server?

This will help us to investigate into the issue.

7. Make Illustrator PDFs more automatically accessible

Accessibility is incredibly important. Obviously Adobe wants to help but it is incredibly limited in Illustrator. If you supply multiple artboards, character and paragraph styles and great text placement options, you should make the PDF export carry those options through. What's the point of using InDesign when you only have two pages? Who needs to files for every project?

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Change "Export For Screens" Save Path Default To File Folder

If I go to File > Export > Export For Screens the default save path points to the last folder I used. What we as users are expecting is the default path to be equal to the same folder as the Illustrator file is currently located in.

If you feel this should not be the default at least give us a way to change this in the AI Preferences. Thanks!

126 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add a button to save document presets like Photoshop has

Photoshop has a button to save presets when you create a new document. I love that feature makes my job easier, I wish Illustrator had that same button instead of having to save the files as templates. So much simpler and faster with the button right there.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Export Multiple PDF Presets (at the same time!) in "Export for Screens" Menu

Export Multiple PDF Presets (at the same time!) in "Export for Screens" Menu

At our design and print shop, when exporting projects, we use a number of PDF (and image) presets to create print ready files, proofs, and web files.

The Export for Screens feature will not allow us to export multiple PDF Presets (i.e. export print ready PDFs at the same time as smallest file size PDFs).

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. You can improve by making it possible to move many files at once form CCLibrary to CCFiles folder. (Now 1 by 1).

Please make it possible to move all files at once from the Creative Cloud Libraries to the Creative Cloud Files folder. I have made lots of great patterns today with Adobe Capture, when you save them you'll find them in your Library but then I wanted to copy them so I also can work with the files offline (from the CCF folder I can export them to my external HDD) with PS and/or Ai. Now I have found out you must copy them one by one...Only made 45 patterns today...and over time I might create thousands....but not if I have…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow to add dithering to gradients to reduce banding / improve quality

We have banding when printing gradients from exported TIFF-files.

I have to open them in Photoshop, search a way to select areas with gradients and apply noise in channels needed.

I can apply Grain effect to gradients where I need, but this makes everything run very slow.

What if you add dithering as an option to gradient swatch? or to fill?
    So it could be displayed in screen space, applied to current level of zoom, and would export as raster images as well? without slowing down?

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ability to Make Working Font Files

I want to be able to make a usable font in illustrator without having to use Fontforge or another similar non-Adobe application.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Saving/Exporting PDF as separate pages

When saving PDFs, can we have same menu and options as when saving Ai files:
    - separate art-boards into individual files (using range) (InDesign has it)
    - INCLUDE the art-board names with each page
    - please, please, please. We've been using Ai as print files for years, because PDF is lacking this

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please improve the functionality of the files when multiple artboards are designed and the design is complex in nature.

Illustrator is hanging or freezing when complex path designs are being designed or multiple dartboards are designed in a single file.
    I am using a MacBook Pro M2 Chip which is known for its processing and still facing so much issues with heavy and complex files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Rename linked file

If I want to rename a file which is linked to a file (for whatever reason), I have to perform a humiliating process: find a link in Explorer, rename it, return to Ai, wait until it finds out the file is missing, search for the file in a dialog.

When this would be so much faster just to right-click the file (on canvas or in Links panel) and do 'Rename linked file'.

And please consider the other similar request about renaming an embedded image:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/47013226-rename-embedded-image

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Save PDF to file size [Target File Size]

It would be very helpful to have a save to File Size option when saving illustrator files (and inDesign Files).

Smallest and Highest are nice to have, but when eMailing a PDF, these two arbitrary sizes can be useless.

As a general rule 10MB is the max size attachment for an email.

Rather than selecting SMALLEST saving it to determine the file size, then Saving it again and going into compression and guessing how much more resolution one can eek out of the compression it would be nice to have a "Target File Size"

I'm guessing this might require…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. .ait Files not showing.

It would be great if indesign and Illustrator would use the same scripts. I have several in indesign that I desperately need in illustrator. ALSO it would be very great if we could assign Shortcuts to script. As well as adding a scripts Panel like in Indesign.

Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Stroke width profiles stored with files, not with app

Currently, variable stroke width profiles are stored within the app, not within the file. So when I want to work on a cloud file on another computer, I have to manually add profiles to the saved profiles dropdown again from existing strokes, because they are no longer available.

And while you're at it, add sorting, exporting and importing options to the variable width panel, it is seriously frustrating having to go through all of them every time - if you commonly use this feature, the list can get quite long.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. link panel shows what layer the (missing) link is on and/or makes 'go to link' work on hidden layers too.

When links are missing that are on a hidden layer there is no way to easily spot them and check on in multilayered files. Since the GoToLink function only works on active layers, there is no other way but showing ALL layers and then using this function, remembering the layer and then hide the layers again; a painstaking procedure with large multilayered files. Would be nice if the link panel would simply state on which layer the missing link resides. Or make the GoToLink function automatically make the appropriate layer visible, like when pasting onto a hidden layer…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 8 10 43 44
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base