Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

543 results found

1. Bulleted and Numbered lists (like InDesign)

This would be a quick easy way to format a paragraph where each paragraph return becomes a bullet or numbered/lettered list item.

Numbers in numbered lists would be updated automatically when you add or remove paragraphs in the list. Bullets would also flow accordingly when edited.

InDesign has both a "Bulleted List button" and "Numbered List button" in the Control Panel and if these features were added to Illustrator they would be very popular.

182 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. CID/GID (Character ID/Glyph ID) are displayed in Glyphs panel.

In the case of Japanese, there are many variations of Chinese character, so it is useful to know CID/GID.
    Because it does not make a mistake when designing character. Also, I want CID/GID when using many old characters.

A common UI with InDesign is desirable.

(Translated to Japanese)
    字形パネルにグリフのCID/GIDを表示して欲しい。
    日本語の場合、漢字のバリエーションが多いので、IDがわかると便利です。
    作字の時などに間違いないようにしたり、また、旧字を多数使用のする時に CID/GID を表示してほしいです。
InDesign と UI を揃えて欲しいです。

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Asset Export - Ability to reorder asset list view and group items

Asset Export - Ability to reorder asset list view:

Love the asset export, but it'd be really useful to click/drag change the order of my asset list in Asset Export panel.

It would also be great to have an option to group by art board. When I have a file of 20+ ad variants as their own individual artboard and want to export assets, it's a pain to keep track of things. It's also too bad that if I make a new asset later in the process, there's no way to group that asset next to the others in the…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. To have an option in stroke panel to keep end points vertical/horizontal on angled strokes

Would love an option to easily have the endpoint of a stroke remain vertical/horizontal when using angled strokes. To 'shear' a stroke isn't easy, so could this be an option in the Stroke panel?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Select more than one layer at once

Okay if you have more than one layer...let's say 50 and I need to select 20 of them. Why can't someone select them with a single click instead of selecting every single layer? With shift selected I can mark more than one but they aren't selected. Same thing for sublayers and so on.

295 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone, This feature has been available since August 2020 release (version 24.3). Please update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html Thank you for all the feedback.

You can now select multiple layers in Layers panel. Click the bars (they get highlighted blue) if you want to operate layers and not their content (e.g. to drag to reorder) or click their markers to select their content — circle (target ones) or square (selection ones) next to them. There is no real difference which to pick, but if you want to select a range of layers, using Shift, use target markers.

6. A keyboard shortcut option for "Redefine Graphic Style" in the Appearance panel's menu

I have shifted to a very Graphic Style-focused workflow lately and find myself constantly hitting this menu item when I'm figuring out exactly what a Style should look like. I would like to be able to assign a shortcut to it.

It is currently nowhere to be found in the Keyboard Shortcuts panel. It is also one of the many, many actions in Illustrator that can't be recorded in an Action.

There's a lot of menu items in Illustrator's panels that have these problems and it would be great to have a general fix for all of them, but this…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Move the "Merge Live Paint" button from the control panel to the Quick Actions section of the Properties panel

When you want to merge a new path with an existing live paint group and you select new shapes and the live paint group, the option to merge those shapes with the live paint group does not appear in the quick action section of the properties panel. I understand people may not want to do this but the new and more responsive context options that appear in quick actions are quite useful. I've steadily relied less and less on the control panel and now resort to the properties panel save this one function. Moving it down to quick actions when…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Change the Separations Preview panel to behave like it does in InDesign

Can you change the Separations Preview panel in Illustrator to behave just like it does in InDesign? The Separations Preview panel in InDesign shows the percentage of each color separation when you hover over an area of the artwork, and includes the Ink Limit option. Both of those features would be extremely useful in Illustrator.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow Panels to have user-defined background colors

For all adobe products: there are many many panels all the same gray color background. If the panels had colors, one could work faster. I could always use blue as my Type-panel background for all my adobe applications. When I need to work with type, I could find the type panel more quickly if it was blue instead of one of the 10 gray panels on the monitor.

Would let designers work faster and more efficiently (time is money)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Display copies of links' duplicates as instances, like in InDesign

It would be nice if Illustrator's link panel was more link InDesign's in that it collapsed instances of the same linked file into an accordion. The user can then update multiple instances of a file to the same new link or link them individually to separate new links.

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Drag-and-Drop Swatches to Artboard

This functionality wouldn't change the swatches palette it, but would allow users to drag a swatch to the artboard and drop it. You could tile several to create a tonal family or brand color set.

Being able to scale them larger, arrange them, reformat the grid, turn the white gap off in between colors would improve color adjustment and comparing hues side by side. They'd function like the existing swatches panel in that you could have a shape or stroke selected and apply the color by clicking the swatch on the artboard.

This would help in color exploration and creating…

495 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Buttons in Pathfinder panel should be disabled when nothing is selected

If you have nothing selected, Pathfinder still have all buttons active, despite clicking one will give out an error message.
    What’s a point? Why shout? Why not display a shallow message (like the one we get when a live shape gets expanded)?
    Why not disable the buttons in the first place when a selection is empty?

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The ability to increase the text size of any menu, panel or dock item. Some of us are going blind.

Give users more flexibility with the program interface please. This will help a lot of people with eye strain.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please add rotate button to the Control panel like in InDesign

Please add rotate button to the Control panel like in InDesign

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Import all pages at once from PDF file (that doesn't have illustrator embeded)

I'm working at prepress for 20 years.. and verrrry often i need to open PDF files to correct some mistakes on many pages.. (like add bleed, or move all elements away from edges...

it would be cool if illustrator would allow to open all pages at once for multipage PDF files..

Ok, i know that i can edit page by page... or i can open one page, than save as with different name AI file, than open all other pages and copy content to that first saved AI document... but thats not cool for 8 page brochure..

thank you

176 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

16. Reset numbering of assets in Asset Export panel

Ability to reset the numbering of the Assets in the Export panel. Numbering is retained after several exports or adding/removing assests to the panel.
    It is possible to specify a starting number for numbering a group of assests.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Introducing Responsive Artboards with possibility to drag and arrange the boards

Having a reponsive panel of the artboards which becomes thumbnails and possibilty to drag and arrange the artboards.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Update all linked files

When you have a large number of linked files changes, but you have a manual mode with the confirmation, you can’t say 'Update all links' in the dialogue window, and you don’t have it as a button in the Links panel.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make the Info panel more usefull

The info panel is too concise in my opinion.
    E.g: when a place image is selected, it should show its pixel size, scale, rotation, color mode etc.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Assignable keyboard shortcuts for EVERYTHING.

In the 'keyboard shortcuts' dialogue, I would like to have a section that contains the flyout menu items and buttons of every palette.

Ideally this would be automatically populated when a palette is created, so that palettes created by 3rd-party plugins would be able to take advantage of this without a new version.

Currently there is an 'other panels' section in the assignable menu commands that lets you assign keystrokes to ten seemingly-arbitrary palette menu items. I'd love to see a ton more choices there. No need for default shortcuts; this is a way for power users to pick exactly…

94 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base