Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

482 results found

1. More Export options

It would be awesome if the export formats had a couple more custom/individual settings like:

• Active (checkbox)
    • Subfolder Name
    • Prefix (like the Suffix) and maybe a couple more under a setting panel for the one format like Lowercase etc :)
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow calligraphic strokes for default fill/stroke

I regularly use a calligraphic stroke in my work. It would be good if a calligraphic stroke could be applied to the default fill/stroke settings via the Graphic Styles panel. This would save a lot of time in my daily workflow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Default overprint black text is missing in AI 2020 v24.2.3.

Several generations earlier this feature was the default. Although type is filled black by default, it is NOW not set to overprint. I have to select all the black type and manually open Attributes panel and select "overprint fill." This is counterproductive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Select Fill or Stroke Does Not Make Selection Automatically Edit-Ready

For years I have been frustrated with how anytime I want to edit fills or strokes, Illustrator seems to ALWAYS have the wrong choice forward in the tools panel! It seems to always know when I want to edit strokes, because it always has fills ready to edit in the foreground swatch and vice-versa! All these years I just felt is was some sort of voodoo thing, but I finally realized why this happens to me the majority of the time. I use Select>Same>Fill Color, Select>Same>Stroke Color, Select>Same>Stroke Weight all the time. The main reason I make those selections…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Show global swatch triangle marker in Fill Stroke Control when a global swatch is selected

Global swatches are marked with a white triangle in the bottom right corner of the swatch. Book colors also have a black dot in this triangle.

These triangles are displayed everywhere swatches are used in UI: Appearance, Properties, Control... But for some reason they are omitted in tool panels, in Fill Stroke controls (and also Gradient).

I personally see no reason why. Sure users would benefit from knowing exactly if a color is global or not when they see the color chip anywhere.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Better implementation of Actions

Do a better implementation of Actions. More like Photoshop.

Some of the menu itens are not recorded in Actions, and others even with the Insert Menu item, still won't record the custom settings of it, and everytime you play that action, it will bring default values to it and open context menu to you to reenter parameters.
    This must be implemented correctly, direclty with the record and not that patch "Insert Menu Item" option that exist today.
    You should only hit record, do the menu options (even the Effects ones), and it must record it with all custom config you…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Recolour artwork which can recolour a symbol instance

Find myself using the recolour Artwork panel a lot these days - especially when iterating with logo colours. What would be brilliant is if we could click a symbol and recolour just that instance (without it affecting the master symbol) using the Recolour Artwork panel. Having to use the direct selection to select individual shapes tool is pretty tedious. I have found a workaround whereby you can unlink the symbol and then create another one and use the Replace Symbol feature - though this isn't great when you then need to adjust the shape as all instances aren't linked…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Remove size limitation on playing tutorial videos in the Discovery window

Illustrator allows playing tutorial videos in the Discover panel (Help > Tutorials). However, the size of the video is constrained by the width constraint on the Discovery window. There is no apparent way to enlarge the video big enough to see the detail in the video to follow along with the tutorial. Tutorial videos should be able to be enlarged up to full screen. Many videos only appear to be accessible now through the in-app tutorial.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Guidelines for artboards and transformation options

You should be able to have a ruler for every artboard you work on (with an option to turn it on or off).
    Also, artboard should have their own guidelines, that does not extend beyond bleeding area of the artboard. These guidelines should copy automatic to the new artboard when you copy the artboard with Option-Drag.
    Also, when selectable, the Guideline should have the transform options in transform panel (a rotation and size would be an excellent option)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Complete user-defined default settings

The work I do for my company has certain defaults that go beyond the layout of my workspace. I only use one font, I always need the same set of color swatches, I use the same tolerance amounts, etc. I export to PDFs the same way every time, I essentially need the same options. (And even with a template, I have to start from scratch for many of these options.)

While I can save certain usual elements in my CC Library, I waste so much time saving and opening and searching. AND even then, I still have to reset the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Toggle Off Large Canvas Scaling when Saving as PDF

Any artboards created larger than 227 x 227 inches are changed to a large canvas setting, which adds a scale factor to the canvas. So Illustrator will say a document that is 300 x 300 is actually 30 x 30 and just scaled by 1/10 of the size. This setting causes issues with my printer software where it reads it as a 30 x 30 and not the true size, it is disregarding the scale factor. I have to take these files and chop them up into smaller panels to print them. When I chop them up it is…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Interaction in graphic styles, with several inputs

Graphic styles is only something you apply. I would like some interactions possibilities with the graphic styles, so that you for example could get an interactions panel that told you what kind of interactions you could do (insert photo/graphic/text etc). And that when you clicked on each possible interaction in the panel, then a pin, marked box or something would highlight in the graphic where the input would take place. Like many web images have, with hot spots. Would be one way to do it. The important thing is not how it is done, but that you get to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Consistency

Make Ai, Id, & Ps more consistent and more customizable. Especially concerning shortcuts and panel behavior.

• Why can I assign shortcuts to alignment tools in ID and Photoshop, but not AI?
    • Why can I drag the hidden tools off onto their own mini panels in AI, but not PS or ID?
    • And WHY, for the love of all that is Holy, in PS if I try to map Shift+Alt+E to Align Center (because this is how I have it in ID), PS tells me I HAVE to use Ctrl??? I don't WANT to use Ctrl -- I want it…
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. .ait Files not showing.

It would be great if indesign and Illustrator would use the same scripts. I have several in indesign that I desperately need in illustrator. ALSO it would be very great if we could assign Shortcuts to script. As well as adding a scripts Panel like in Indesign.

Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. "Draw In Front" button

We have a "Draw Behind" button that adds objects immediately behind the current selected object in the Layers panel.
    However, we need a "Draw in Front" button that adds immediately on top of selected objects.
    The "Draw Normal" adds objects to the very top position in the Layer.

The attached graphic was created as follows:
    1. Magenta rectangle.
    2. Cyan rectangle.
    3. Select Magenta rectangle
    4. Change to "Draw Behind" mode .
    5. Yellow rectangle.
    6. Select Magenta rectangle.
    7. Change to "Draw Normal".
    8. Black rectangle.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Scaling Arrowheads Maintains Original Stroke Width

Is it possible to add an option in the Stroke panel which allows scaling of the arrowheads and start and end shapes (like Circle, Square, SimpleWide, Simple, ettc.) without scaling their stroke width?

Now the stroke width of the arrow or shape is increased or decreased when scaling. Please see attached images. Often times I would like to use a bigger arrowhead or shape but I have to create hem manually as scaling up results the arrowhead becoming a wider stroke than the stroke itself.

For instance - a 2 point stroke with a SimpleWide arrowhead results in the arrowhead…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SVG code for current document visible in non modal view

When fine-tuning SVG files, the ergonomics of the workflow are far less than optimal. This is especially problematic because SVG supports only a subset of what is possible in Illustrator.

A round trip to some other app, or viewing code via the export modal feels awkward and is certainly time-consuming. Worse, it takes me away from the main Illustrator editor where my art is actually visible/editable.

Can't we have a panel which shows the SVG code 'live', without having to visit the file menu. It need not be an editable code view, but 'pretty printing' and perhaps code folding would…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Firefly Text to Image and Text Effects inside illustrator

Text to Vector is Awesome, will be nice to have Firefly Text to Image and Text Effects directly in illustrator, so we can preview our generations with other compositing assets in canvas.

Maybe a Firefly Panel, where we can choose what we want to generate, vector, image, or text effect.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. [Script HELP] Import file to artboards and flatten transparency

Hi, I'm looking for a script that can IMPORT files (AI, PDF, EPS) by inserting these files, or multipage PDFs, onto multiple illustrator tables in a connected way.
    Then let me select eg. from table 1 to 5 (of 200) and apply a preset registered in the CONVERT TRANSPARENCY panel.

Can someone help me?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base