Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

638 results found

1. Disable smart guides to some specific object/layer

Hi there,

After using Illustrator for quite some time, I found there has one function I need the most.
    Which is to disable smart guides to some specific object/layer.

Smart guides are amazing but I found that they won't work well if I had a crazy vector texture background.
    When I try to align to the main object I am working on, it will just try to align to background vector textures. Which is not ideal.

So I have been thinking, could there have a feature, that disables smart guides to some specific object/layer, like we can lock anything that…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Include Select Similar Objects button and dropdown in the Properties panel

Please add Select Similar (same, colour, stroke, etc...) button, to new Properties panel(2018). And option for aligning one single object to artboard in Properties panel, would by fine too(without entering Align panel).

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Bring Back Hold Shift to Restrict Gradient Movement

In prior versions of Illustrator, when adjusting the composition of a gradient using the gradient tool, you used to be able to hold shift to constrict the gradients movement to the Y or X axis.

Please bring this back as it is a quick and seamless way to align the gradient composition exactly instead of eyeballing it.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Tie a child shape to parent shape to keep it aligned to parent when resized

Hi everyone,

I posted this as a question in the Illustrator forum (here's the original thread https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/set-shapes-as-child-and-parent-objects-for-dynamic-box-designs/m-p/11688904?page=1#M256580) and was suggested to submit this as a feature request here.

I design boxes in Illustrator for precise cutting in my Silhouette machine. The main problem I encounter with is when I make a box which its shapes are all perfectly aligned, but I then find that I need to tweak its interior size. When I'm doing so I have to re-align all the different pieces of the box shapes such as the spines, wings, etc, since there's no option to tie…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. tabs and text options

Tabulations should be embedded in the tex box and appear only when you press on the box and disappears when you click somewhere else. By default, it should also resize and follow the tex box on screen at all time without requiring you to click on the magnet to put it back where it belong.

Also, the text options of Illustrator are lacking some very useful options that only exist in InDesign. I understand that Indesign is THE BIG SOFTWARE FOR TEXT, but honestly for smaller text oriented documents, I often use Illustrator because it's faster to operate. So, some…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Missing properties for properties panel

1. When i select a text in a mask with direct selection tool or text tool the character and paragraph properties are not visible in the properties panel.
    2. Although align to artboard button is selected align panel is not visible in the properties panel if only one item is selected.
    3. Select same or object menu must be located in the properties panel like on the control bar.
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add more options to preferences

Every time you guys change something on these programs it seems to affect me. Most of the time it is not in a good way. I believe this could be solved by allowing the user more options in preferences to turn on and off these options.
    For instance.
    You changed the way the the zoom in and zoom out works. It used to be it would just zoom out directly from where you are but now it zooms out from the object selected which is very annoying.
    I'm sure that works for some people but if it was a preference…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Highlight an anchor point used as a key object

Keying an anchor point is a lesser known option for aligning and distributing.

Clicking an object in a selection to key it is a thing that can be learnt by a chance (that is how I learned it myself), but using the latest selected point as a key is not a behaviour that is easily noticed.

The change of the mode is marked only via the small icon in the corner of Align panel, and nothing else on the artboard tells about it — compare this to the fat edge a key object uses.

Can you try to make a…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Match Width or Height to Key Object

I would like a quicker way to match an object's width or height to that of another object. Currently I have to select the correctly sized object, copy the W value, select the next object, and paste the W value. This must be done individually for each object. A pain when you have, say, a dozen objects scattered around the artwork but you want them to all be the same size. I think it could work similarly to the "align to key object" tool.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make an option for the Bounding box to hug text tightly

For the love of God, please make an option for the bounding box around text to only bound to the visible text. When I'm aligning text, either visually or by inputting numbers in the transform panel, I absolutely do not care about invisible space, what I want is what I can see to be centered or aligned. I'm so sick of having a text box snap to a guide or object, or me inputting exact numbers in the transform panel, only for the text to be offset and misaligned. if this option DOES exist, then make it obvious that it's…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make Properties panel to have the same width as other panels

Properties is the widest panel among other panels in Illustrator.
    While other panels by default have the same width (and some are resizable), Properties is too wide.

It gets specifically disgusting whet it get stacked with other panels — they have to conform the minimal width of Properties and start looking ugly.

At the same time, the main content of Properties does not look like it needs all that minimal width — there is a huge gap on the right visible in 'properties_1.png' attached.

Sure, when you have some art selected, it look differently, like in 'properties2.png'... but look

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add ability to hyperlink text

Make text linkable to a url or email when exported to a PDF, like you can already do in InDesign.

Only being able to do this in a PDF means that if you make an update in Illustrator and export as a PDF again, you have to re-do all your hyperlinks.

134 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ability to script warp text or object with horizontal and vertical distortions values

As of right now, it is difficult for me to adjust warp text using a JSX script since you do not expose the bend % or values of the horizontal and vertical distortions. Can this be added to JSX script?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Switch to Eyedropper while editing text

While editing text, we often need to grab the Eyedropper tool to pick some formatting or color for the selected range from another object. An instinct whispers 'Press I key' — and it obviously but often unexpectedly replaces the range with the 'I'. Undo!
    Then me might think of pressing Alt — and it does temporarily switch to Pan — which is cool and useful, since you can’t hit space.
    We need a modifier to temporarily switch to Eydropper.

...but all modifiers are taken (except fort Ctrl+Shift, which swithes input languages if you have several for some users) and Ctrl+Alt+Shift…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Snap to Stroke width option

The addition of the snap-to-glyph functionality that was added to the type tool recently, it could be useful to have the option to snap to the outside width of a stroke (i.e. the where the path would be if a stroke were expanded into a shape), perhaps with a zoom or stroke size threshold to prevent mis-snapping at broader scale.

This could be particularly useful when try to align an object to a path with either a variable width stroke or multiple strokes applied. It would also allow for more precise alignment to the end of open paths that have…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow to marquee select within an area type text box without creating a new text object

Marquee Select with text box in scope creates a new text box. This did not occur in Illustrator in the last 5+ years that I have been using it. This is relevant for users like me who do more text editing in Illustrator.

in 2017 and prior, when you had a text box in scope that you were editing text in, you could marquee select the text or portions of it by starting a click outside of the text area. Now, in 2018, this will create a new text box every time. The result is that it is noticeably more…

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added To Backlog  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi,

Thanks for submitting this request , Illustrator team really appreciate this.
    We had taken your feedback on this and added it to backlog

17. Keyboard shortcuts for Bold and Italic text

It would be useful if, while typing/editing text, there was a keyboard shortcut to add BOLD or ITALICS - highlight the word, hit CTRL + B to bold, for example.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. flip horizontal and flip vertical from contextual menu

Please add "flip vertical" and "flip horizontal" to the "Transform..." contextual menu pop-up in Illustrator. We have this function in Animate already. It would improve workflow and is something that should be relatively easy to program. Thank you for all your hard work improving Illustrator.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Type/Text Variables / Insert Variables / Modification Date

Please add Type/Text Variables/Insert Variables/Modification Date upon save. Same as InDesign.

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add dividers/separators to custom tools panel (or enable stacking/docking them vertically)

It would be nice to be able to visually separate tool groups in custom toolbars since there is no way to stack them vertically. Think "groups" in Microsoft Office apps' "ribbon". We can currently only...

A) Mash all of our tools into one toolbar, with no means of visual organization apart from the order in which they appear (I don't count stacking the tools as "visual organization", since I cannot see them).

B) Snap multiple toolbars together, but not while docked to edge of UI. They will not be movable together like this, and other UI elements can overlap them.…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base