Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

941 results found

1. Panels won't open

I used to have this problem with InDesign, which I don't get anymore. Now it has migrated to Illustrator. When I start AI the panels don't work. I have to restart 2 or more times to get them to work. I have noticed some correlation between this and the Adobe Libraries (also in the panels) not connecting. It's a real PITA. Please fix.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Image Trace panel greys out on existing traced object

CC2019 v23.0.6

After tracing an object, the Image Trace panel is greyed out. The only way to 'activate' the options is to switch views in the Control Bar a couple of times. It's arbitrary and annoying.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. AI doesn't warn about matching hotkeys for commands and actions

Actions can only be bound to F-keys.
    Keyboard shortcuts can be match to almost anything, including F-keys.
    When user tries to register new keyboard shortcut that already exists, AI warns them about conflict.
    But when user creates new shortcut for F-combination, already taken by action, AI says nothing.
    For example, if one of my actions uses Ctrl+Shift+F2, and then I want to assign same Ctrl+Shift+F2 for 'Change case' command, AI won't notify me. Action will run, but not a command then. If I uses Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F2 for that (or any) command, it still won't run, but action will do.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Pop up window for gradient comes up and stops all work

turn off the new pop up window for new features - popped up in the middle of work and I literally could not continue :( I had to quit

turn off the new pop up window for new features - it appears seemingly out of the blue with no option to turn it off - no quiet fade to background

in illustrator: - this help item popped up in the middle of work and I literally could not continue ... :( - the help item was on the gradient feature - which I obv. activated

suggest that you have some…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. command-option buttons not working. can't duplicate or get to selection tool by hitting command when I am using another tool

when I am using a tool and want to get to the selection tool without releasing the other tool I am working with (like if I am typing and want to move the text I can just hit command and the curser changes to selection tool and I can move it and when released automatically becomes the text tool again, use this for many different tools).

-when I hold command and option down it would duplicate but it is not duplicating.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. hand tool missing

the hand tool does not show up when i click the zoom tool and the little arrow in the bottom right corner of that tool. it shows nothing.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

7. File menu and dialogue boxes black/invisible

Since the most recent update, Illustrator will periodically loose the ability to display dialogue boxes and drop down menus. Drop down menus show black until I mouse over, and then the items show as I mouse over then. But the dialogue boxes remain invisible. I can "navigate" blindly sometimes and get my document to save without seeing what I'm clicking on (muscle memory, I suppose), but sometimes the whole program just crashes. This has been happening consistently over the past few weeks. 2-3 times a day.

I'm using a Lenovo Ideapad 330 withWindows 10, using the most current release of…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Window snapping in macOS moves Close/Minimize/Fullscreen icons in title bar

macOS 10.14; Illustrator 22.1

Window snapping Illustrator (using tools like Moom, Spectacle, Magnet, etc.) forces the "traffic light" icons in the top left of the window to move from their default location.

Sometimes the icons fall halfway off the top of the title bar; sometimes they fall all the way off; sometimes they aren't affected at all. There doesn't seem to be any way to recreate the issue consistently.

Manually adjusting the size of the window by stretching it with a mouse will reset the icons to the correct position.

This seems to be related to https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/32614258-bug-app-window-missing-close-minimize-expand, except my…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Rotation too easily happens! Screws up resizing and selecting.

This claims to be answered in an earlier post but it isn't. The only solution is too zoom way in and select or undo the rotation when you notice it. If you have to hit the item in the toolbar each time you make a selection to nullify this it's ridiculous. Totally unprofessional and unproductive. Give us a solution please!! Your programmers have to have realized this by now.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Tools move in tool bar, I need to reset tool bar back to default but then moves again with 2/3 mins of working. Please advise. Thanks.

Tools move in tool bar, I need to reset tool bar back to default but then moves again with 2/3 mins of working. Please advise. Thanks.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Switching application windows causes window to resize off screen

I'm not sure if this is an Illustrator issue or a window resizer issue (I use Divvy), but I'm using CC 2019 on OS 10.14 and every time I switch between two applications (or another space for that matter), my Illustrator window resizes off the screen. Is anyone else having this issue?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Welcome screen Illustrator CC 2019

Customize the Welcome Back screen: Right now the "Start a new file fast" screen shows various options including an A4. I'm not in the EU. Where's the US Letter size? That would make the most sense in the US. Where can I edit that group? How do I clear the list of most recent?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Tool Menus Errors: Tool menus click through into the tool options below them.

Tool Menu Interface Errors:
    I have my Character Tools on Top, then my Swatches below, then my Transparency tools.
    I click to change transparency setting and the color swatches are below, thus what ever I click in the menu clicks through into the swatches and thus my color changes. Same issue when I change fonts.
    I click the multiply option in my transparency tools and that menu pops up over the swatches, thus whatever I click, clicks through the little menu and into the swatches color. See attached or you won't understand.
    Am using the latest Illustrator on Win10. See…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Cannot view 150% zoom level

1. Illustrator CC 20.1 (64-bit); Windows 10-64
    2. Trying to zoom to 150% by selecting the preset option from the zoom drop-down menu, or using Ctrl++
    3. Expected result: document is shown at 150% zoom (actual size due to DPI scaling issues)
    4. Actual result: zoom preset goes to 200% and document is shown at 200%. This only happens with this document and not others; it contains both vector and raster data. For some reason I can zoom at every other preset except 150% (true actual size)
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Problems with text, bounding box, selections, scaling and more

Hello, I’ve been having a problem with Illustrator for now a week. The version I am working with is 22.1 and I am working on a MacBook Pro 15in 2017 with Sierra 10.13.5, Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB and Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB,

I noticed that the problem always starts showing up when I am working with text, especially when changing the tracking of the text. The problem shows up after usually a couple hours of work and it “resets” when restarting the application or…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Adobe Color Themes panel becomes blank and unresponsive

The panel works as intended for a while, but after working for a while (20 min or so) -The Adobe Color Theme Panel becomes blank after trying to switch between "create" & "explore".

Closing and restarting Illustrator 2018 fixes this, but that become s big pain to have to keep closing and re-opening all your files just to use the color theme tools.

I'm not sure if it is caused by the webseach that happens with the "..." elipses dots, but sometimes it seems that it just doesn't find the color website and that is why it doesn't show anything.…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

17. application frame

1. These are not 'ideas' they are bugs, errors, problems - stop with the Orwellian language, just makes you look insincere and untruthful.

The problem:
    When Application Frame is selected, files either do not display when opened or have a corrupted display. Doesn't happen every time, but quite often.
    Mac Pro macOS 10.12.6, Illustrator 22.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi,

We have made a fix in latest version for the same. Can you please upgrade to 23.0.3 and let us know if you still face this issue?

Thanks
    Anish

18. Problem with snap / smart guides

Illustrator 22.1, Max OSX High Sierra 10.13.3

The smart guides are always a little off, unless I zoom a lot.

For example, when I want to cut a path at an intersection, with CC2018, the cut is always a little off.

It happens with many other actions: moving anchor points, clicking on a path end point to continue drawing, adjusting tangents... the smart guides show the correct point, but the action snaps to something else.

See the example below, where I'm trying to continue that red line.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. as if the shift key is stuck (all functions and operations)

After installing the new version, when in Illustrator, shift key has to be held down or things don't work. It's as if the shift key is pressed and I have to press it to release it, if you know what I mean. If I try to select a new tool and click it in the tool panel - nothing happens. If I hit the shift key and do the same again - works fine.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Vectors disappearing

When working on art-boards with a lot of vectors, not all of them show up. It's as if it can't handle working with that many.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 8 10 12 47 48
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base