What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

100% view is not 100% for pixels in cc2019

OMG, yesterday I've updated illustrator cc2018 to cc2019. Objects now in 100% view are diplayed as ~151% - see attached file - in left side - illustrator cc2018 window and 400x400 px square in 100% view. In the right side - the same square in 100% view.

Please fix this annoing bug.
This is on Mac pro late 2013, High Sierra, 27' Eizo monitor 1400x2560

52 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dalius shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dalius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ashutosh - thank You, very much. I will try it and will send you feedback about this fix later.

• Ramib commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oli, go to the illustrator section inside the creative cloud app and press on the 3 dots icon, after that select Manage > other versions > install version 22.1

• Oli O'Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something else worth adding to this, as others have stated, is Pixel Preview is unusable, regardless of what hardware you use (certainly in my experience). it has been unusable in my experience since we've been using Retina displays.

It does however still display artwork at the correct scale in the latest CC2019 release - 1px = 1px on screen.

Adobe has just broken Illustrator for web designers. It is now completely unusable.

I've just read Neeraj Nandkeolyar response to this issue. I think we all know what he is stating. For many, many years, Illustrator has not displayed print related documents to scale - Neeraj, you have just provided some technical background to the problem, which I think many of us will know and understand.

Illustrator has, however, displayed pixel based artwork to scale at 100%, for many, many years. This has always just worked as as 1px, or 1pt, has always equalled 1px on screen. CS6 essentially introduced pixel doubling.

If you are a digital designer and use Illustrator, it is crucial that you can view your artwork at 1:1. With this latest release, Adobe has chosen to remove this feature in lieu of introducing True-size view for print related documents.

As I said at the beginning Adobe, you have just broken Illustrator for anyone that wants to use it for digital design. Now, where's that Sketch license key...

Is everyone else experiencing an issue with pixel based artwork now not being displayed to scale? To view it to scale I have to display it at 66.67% (although I imagine this will vary on different hardware).

True-size view has certainly fixed artwork displayed in mm (I'm based in the UK so don't work in inches), but the issue has just been passed over to pixel based artwork!

For me, pixels being displayed to scale is more important than print artwork, so if you're not able to make it work for both, please provide a toggle switch in preferences to enable users to either display print related documents OR web related documents to scale.

Thanks!

Illustrator CC 2019 23.0
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
    LG 5K monitor
    macOS Mojave 10.14

• Stephen Hutchings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature completely ignores how digital designers use the product. It's critical to view artwork at a 1:1 scale for UI design or any assets for consumption on screens. It is little wonder that younger designers are turning away from the Adobe suite in droves.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's weird that this is considered a "feature" rather than an issue for all those working for the web. I mean: given the fact that pixel preview makes AI so slow that is impossible to use (it doesn't matter how powerful your laptop is), we're forced to disable it. But when we turn it off, 32px in Illustrator in Actual Size is not equal to 32px in a web browser.

The only way around this issue would be either 1) making pixel preview usable, or 2) giving us the option to see real Actual Size if pixel preview is disabled. If none of the above is considered an option, I'm afraid it won't be possible to work in Illustrator to create things for the web.

• Dalius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Downgraded to cc2018 :(

I think this new feature must be not by default but optional choise - like "pixel preview" in cc2018 - please name it for example "true size preview" ant add it in the same tab in the VIEW menu there is "pixel preview" and "overprint preview" now

it would be great then.

Adobe - pleeeezzzzzzzzz....:(

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here. Downgraded to CC 2018 for now, as seeing all of my "100%-scale" artwork displayed at practically 150% was just unworkable.

• Cameron Jennings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this were in fact a "feature", and not a terrible decision, why not implement it in Photoshop as well? BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE INSANE. Because designing for screens REQUIRES an accurate pixel-based zoom reference.

When you're viewing at 100% and you Save-For-Web or Export-For-Screens, you would expect that 100% would actually be 100%, not 154% or whatever godawful inaccurate conversion is going on.

When you take a screenshot and paste it into a document at 100% zoom, the screenshot shouldn't paste at 154% of it's actual size.

When you're designing for screens, you shouldn't have to set your zoom at 66.6% to get an accurate representation of the design.

This is completely uncalled for, it solves exactly ZERO problems, and it CREATES endless headaches for screen designers.

Please, Adobe, change this terrible decision. Implement some kind of selector that allows you to set your baseline zoom for screens. This is a major problem. I'm not going to update Illustrator until you fix it. Please.

• Discrete Games commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just chatted with Adobe staff to see if any fix for this issue was in the works - it isn't. Adobe still considers it a feature.

Here are a couple of their direct quotes:

"this is not a bug, the actual view is now representing the physical size of the document, if you want to view it 100% at 72 PPI, you can turn on the pixel preview "

(I explained that the feature makes designing things with pixel dimensions more difficult, and that Pixel Preview Mode is unsatisfactory because it's slower, harder to design in, and cumbersome to have switch to.)

"I will send your feedback to my manager but unfortunately we do not have any information or any update in this at the moment "

Adobe just has broken Illustrator for all web designers. It’s so frustrating …

I am infuriated! I just designed a bunch of stuff to pixel precision that I now need to re-do because they wont look good for what I actually need them for. Just previewed in pixel preview and all my hard work looks completely off. What a joke.

WE NEED TO DECIDE BY OURSELF

"ACTUAL VIEW FOR PRINT DESIGN" OR "ACTUAL SIZE FOR SCREENS DESIGN"

100 pixel have to displayed as 100px. Everything else is not acceptable.

WE NEED TO DECIDE BY OURSELF

"ACTUAL VIEW FOR PRINT DESIGN" OR "ACTUAL SIZE FOR SCREENS DESIGN"

Feedback and Knowledge Base