Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

76 results found

1. Running an Action from script

Hello,
    In Illustrator CC latest update, my following script does not work:
    1- Select a couple paths (in script) (all of them close paths in different groups)
    2- execute my action which offset paths with certain amount

The problem is in this new version after the action dis-select all of them except one, but before this version it worked and keep all of my selection paths still as selected ( by path I mean the new offset paths, but for all of them)

It really made trouble for my script in the company, because some computer still does not have…

72 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.0.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

2. (Applescript) do javascript command no longer works in Illustrator 2021(25.1)

Bug report:
    When using AppleScript's do javascript in Illustrator 2021(25.1), nothing happens regardless of whether it is a file or text. The result will return a missing value. In 25.0.1, it works fine.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/applescript-do-javascript-command-no-longer-works-in-25-1/m-p/11737799?page=1&profile.language=en

In the case of jsx files, it can be avoided by writing the following code. If the file extension is jsxbin, it cannot be executed. And arguments cannot be passed.

-- solution 1
    tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
    open ("Macintosh HD:Users:username:Desktop:sample.jsx" as alias)
    end tell

-- solution 2
    tell application "Finder"
    open ("Macintosh HD:Users:username:Desktop:sample.jsx" as alias) using ("Macintosh HD:Applications:Adobe Illustrator 2021:Adobe Illustrator. app:" as alias)
    end tell

53 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.2 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

3. Fix Adobe Illustrator CC 2019 Type Library Reference - VB scripts return error

Illustrator CC 2019 Type Library is broken when attempting to Reference from Visual Studio.

VB.Net or C# projects attempt to add the reference from: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CC 2019\Plug-ins\Extensions\Scripting Support.aip, and give the attached error.

My idea, is for Adobe to fix it!

Older versions work fine.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

4. reading XMP data in scripts broken by 25.4 update.

Illustrator 25.4 update broke scripts that try to read XMP data that worked in previous versions of Illustrator. This is the Mac version (have not tried in Windows).

It appears to be getting the error on this line:

ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject('lib:AdobeXMPScript');

Comparing the frameworks in the package contents for 25.3.1 vs 25.4, the AdobeXMPScript framework appears to be missing in 25.4.

Below is an example script to read font data that worked in 25.3, but errors loading the library in 25.4

// load XMP Library

function loadXMPLibrary() {

if (!ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript) {  

try {  

ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject('lib:AdobeXMPScript');  

} catch
    21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Image Trace API is broken

Please watch the video attached.
    1. Rename the attached .txt. file to .js (UserVoice does not allow to attach scripts directly)
    2. Select a raster image in Illustrator and try to run the script the way it’s shown in the video, with line 11 and 12 commented, mutually exclusive

With TRACINGFULLCOLOR on it is expected to have the 'Palette' dropdown switch to Full Tone, but it gets set to Limited.

On the contrary, TRACINGLIMITEDCOLOR should give Limited for 'Palette', but it gives Automatic.

These are obviously swapped.

Also notice how all advanced options become 50%.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ExportOptionsPNG24.artBoardClipping broken in 2020

ExportOptionsPNG24.artBoardClipping (set to false)

In 2019 (23.1), PNGs exported by javascript are trimmed to the visible bounds of the object as expected when false. When true, they're the size of the artboard.

In 2020 (24.3), the same script always produces PNGs the size of the artboard whatever artBoardClipping is set to.

Illustrator 24.3 vs Illustrator 23.1
    Windows 10
    Script run via Illustrator (File/Scripts) as well as testing in ETSK 4.0.0.1

It's a dealbreaker for version 24. We can't upgrade as a team unless this is fixed.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.3.1 which is available worldwide now.

7. Illustrator RulerUnits returns Unknown for 'Feet' and 'Feet and Inches'

Illustrator recently added 'Feet' and 'Feet and Inches' to the available ruler units; however, when a user selects one of these units, the scripting side returns 'RulerUnits.Unknown' for 'activeDocument.RulerUnits'.

For scripting, the corresponding 'RulerUnits.*' value should be added so that developers can respond to the selected units.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.1.1 which is available worldwide now.

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

8. Problems with scripts and BridgeTalk using Illustrator 25.3.1 on M1 Mac

I have a handful of scripts that have stopped working after switching from an Intel Mac mini to an M1 Mac mini. The scripts will run as expected if I use the Intel version of Illustrator on the M1 Mac mini, but they return this error when run using the M1 version of Illustrator on the same machine "TARGET COULD NOT BE LAUNCHED(59)". The current culprit seems to be BridgeTalk. Any help would be appreciated, thx!

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Actions based on Scripts not saving after restart?

I located another thread from December where the consensus seems to be that this is a long standing and known bug with Illustrator.
    Permanently saving scripts in Action Set doesn't work / Scripts werden nicht dauerhaft in den Aktionseinstellungen gespeichert.

I have spent a good deal of time working with people here on the Adobe forums to develop a script to automate a very large function of my job, and now that it is completed it should be ready to pass on to members of my team so they can utilize it as well. The problem is that…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Unable to catch error that occurs when exporting empty artboard to PSD

en_US

When exporting Illustrator artboards to PSD using ExtendScript's exportFile, if the artboard does not contain valid PageItems, an error occurs and two alerts are displayed.

![error1.png](error1.png)
    ![error2.png](error2.png)

The problem is that this error cannot be caught by a try syntax. It will stop the batch process with alerts.

Also, if app.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevel.DONTDISPLAYALERTS is used to prevent the alert, it is not possible to provide detailed information to the script user as to why the artboard was not exported.

Ideally, the design should be changed so that the error can be caught, or even an empty artboard can be…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Illustrator CC 2018 - CEP 8 HTML Extension Resize Issue

We are experiencing resizing issue in the latest CEP version. Our extension allows user to resize extension's window, however whenever any navigation occur, window size resets. Problem exists in Illustrator CC 2018 (22.0.1), everything is working fine in previous version (CC 2017).
    We already tried different geometry settings and extension UI types, but problem persists and seems to be related to engine itself.

We successfully reproduced this issue with official git hub sample extension. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Open sample extension with debug mode enabled
    2. Resize window
    3. Change window location in console to any other page
    4. After…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

12. [ExtendScript] Document.artboards wrongly returns artboards of active document

1. MacOS 14.2.1
    2. Adobe Illustrator 28.0
    3. To reproduce:

(a) open two documents with differently named artboards

(b) run this script

for (var i = 0; i < app.documents.length; i++) {
        for (var j = 0; j < app.documents[i].artboards.length; j++) {
            $.write(app.documents[i].name + ' artboard ' + j + ': ');
            $.writeln(app.documents[i].artboards[j].name);
        }
    }

Expected result:

demo1.ai artboard 0: ALPHA
    demo1.ai artboard 1: BRAVO
    demo2.ai artboard 0: CHARLIE
    demo2.ai artboard 1: DELTA

Actual result:

demo1.ai artboard 0: ALPHA
    demo1.ai artboard 1: BRAVO
    demo2.ai artboard 0: ALPHA
    demo2.ai artboard 1: BRAVO

Note that Document "demo1.ai" is active. If I make demo2.ai active, I…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. textRange.words counts words wrong in a wrong way

If you try to calculate a number of words and store them for later using textRange.words and a punctuation marks placed one space after the word, as demonstrated in the video, Ai cuts words in wrong places, resulting words being trimmed.

This breaks all scripts that rely on this method.

You have to rename 'words-bug.txt' into 'words-bug.js' and 'words-bug.pdf' to 'words-bug.ai' to test it, since UV does not allow to upload these type formats.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. In CC2020 and later, referencing the created property of the File class returns "null”.

Environment
    macOS 10.15.6
    Illustrator CC ver.25.1

Step and reproduce
    1.Select menu ”File->Script->Other Script" and choose below one.

//JavaScript File detail
    var f=File.openDialog("");
    alert(f.created);

Expected result
    Illustrator shows "null". It must be return files created date.

Actual result
    ”null” is returned.

In CC2019 this property was successfully retrieved. It seems that a problem occurred after CC2020. Also, even if we put it in the 2021 family, other applications can get "created" property normally.
    "modified" property behaves similarly strangely in relation to this issue.

This behavier shows only macOS. Windows can return as normal.

//Japanese
    オペレーティングシステムおよび Adobe Illustratorのバージョン
    macOS 10.15.6
    Illustrator CC…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.3.1 which is available worldwide now.

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

15. Error with app.executeMenuCommand('Adobe Stroke Palette')

en_US

In the Japanese version of Adobe Illustrator, when I execute a script that selects the Window > Stroke menu, an error occurs. It executes correctly in the English (North America) version.

![mrap.png](mrap.png)

Script to Execute

try {
      app.executeMenuCommand('Adobe Stroke Palette') ;
    } catch(e) {
      alert(e) ;
    }

Actual Result

The following error occurs.

エラー: an Illustrator error occurred: 1346458189 ('MRAP')

Expected Result

Stroke panel is displayed.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Uninstall any non-Japanese version of Adobe Illustrator that is installed
    2. Launch Creative Cloud.app and set "Default install language" to Japanese in the Preferences
    3. Install and launch Adobe Illustrator
    4. Execute the…
    9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Scripts ran via actions do not select properly

Dear developers,

A few days ago I wrote a simple script which uses pathfinder to unite paths. This works perfectly when the script is ran via File > Scripts. But when added to an action and ran the script seems unable to select the proper layer and thus fails to run pathfinder.

For a detailed rundown, analysis and files please visit the community forms post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/script-ran-via-actions-does-not-select-properly/td-p/13032773

Technical details:
    - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19043 Build 19043;
    - Adobe Illustrator 2022 version 26.0.3 (64 bit)

Kind regards.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Playing scripts via action with no open documents

Running scripts via an action only appears to work if there is at least one open document.

Steps:
    1. Create a simple script (such as app.documents.add)
    2. Save to Illustrator scripts folder.
    3. Record to action via 'Insert Menu Item'
    4. Make sure no documents are open
    5. Play action. Illustrator displays the message 'The object <ScriptName> is not currently available.'

If you run the script via File > Scripts, it runs normally. I don't think this should be expected behaviour; if the menu command runs the script, the action should too, regardless of whether or not there is an…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Scripting window keeps appearing and no way to remove it

Uninstalling/Reinstalling does not remove prompt. Starting appearing after most recent update to with the new ipad features. Going back to older version, the window doesn't appear.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This issue is happening due to a security feature added in Illustrator to inform the user if any external application tries to execute a script in Illustrator.

Solution: Update your Logitech options app to the latest version – https://www.logitech.com/en-in/product/options

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/fix-scripting-error.html

We heard from some users that above solution is not working for them, we are investigating this issue. Meanwhile users can try the below workaround

Create a JSX file with the following content:
    app.preferences.setBooleanPreference(“ShowExternalJSXWarning”, false);
    Save the above JSX file. Now, go to File > Scripts > Other Script, and choose the newly saved jsx file.

This will suppress the warning dialog and run the script.

19. Incorrect word count via script

At some point (I think v27) Illustrator has changed its word counting/division algorithm.

So, where previously the results were sensible:
    "This.Was.Four.Words" — word count: 4
    "This.Is.3.Words" — word count: 4
    "I.WF05f.07.AB.000" — word count: 5
    "I.WF05f.AB.07.000" — word count: 5

In version 27.4 the results are now confused:
    "This.Was.Four.Words" — word count: 1
    "This.Is.3.Words" — word count: 3
    "I.WF05f.07.AB.000" — word count: 4
    "I.WF05f.AB.07.000" — word count: 2

For a discussion on the topic, and a testing script, see this thread.

Note: maybe this bug was introduced while fixing this bug.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Plugins Disappeared

after updating to version 25.1
    the plugins in the "plugins folder"