Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

1475 results found

1. Make gradient swatches global

Gradient swatches should be globally applicable. This would mean they´d need to be editable - either in Swatch Options just like other swatches or replacable by dragging a altered version of a gradient onto the old swatch. (At the moment, the only option is the swatch title)

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. SVG export option to export global Color Swatches as CSS Custom Properties

In addition to classes and IDs, CSS custom properties (aka. CSS variables) are a great way to style SVG Content.
    Conceptually they are closest to Illustrators global color swatches.

I propose to add an Option to SVG Export of Adobe Illustrator to turn named global color swatches into CSS custom properties.

Example:

Original Output:
    fill: #456; stroke: #abc;

New Output:
    fill: var(--medium-grey, #456) ; stroke: var(--dark-grey, #abc);

Web applications could use the custom properties, to quickly create color-variations of an illustration.

Example: https://codepen.io/g12n/pen/KQwpJR/

An additional option could be a compatibility mode for the styling options "Inline Style"…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Drag-and-Drop Swatches to Artboard

This functionality wouldn't change the swatches palette it, but would allow users to drag a swatch to the artboard and drop it. You could tile several to create a tonal family or brand color set.

Being able to scale them larger, arrange them, reformat the grid, turn the white gap off in between colors would improve color adjustment and comparing hues side by side. They'd function like the existing swatches panel in that you could have a shape or stroke selected and apply the color by clicking the swatch on the artboard.

This would help in color exploration and…

495 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow more than 5 swatches to be saved as a color theme/group

Please allow users to save more than 5 color swatches as a theme in Libraries. The number is very restrictive to our workflow.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make Eyedropper tool usable in Color Picker dialog, which can pick colors from everywhere

Can you make the Color Picker have an Eyedropper tool that can select any color on the screen when you double click the swatch? Similar to Photoshop.

Also have the default in any way you reach a color picker be hexadecimal so it is easier to copy and paste the color to other programs, etc. It defaults in this section, but I cannot select any color on the board while this is open.

265 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make Pantone color swatches available

Sort out the stupidity of not having all the Pantone swatches available, to use as it used to be. I don't know what you guys are playing at with Pantone but their color books are industry standard in design and print. More importantly and they are NEEDED in order to work consistently. You need to bring them back what you currently have is next to useless. I am having to make new swatches and cross reference them with Pantone connect and save them, it's stupid.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Smart/Adaptive Cross-Colorspace Swatches

It's industry standard to define brand colors in more than one colorspace. Usually you have at least PMS, CMYK and RGB definitions of each brand color you're deploying.

I'd love it if Illustrator (or the whole CC suite, as a matter of fact) would help this routine, like this:

Let's have a new swatch type: Cross-Colorspace Swatch. This special swatch type would enable the designer to define variations of the color in any/all color spaces, inside that one swatch definition.

Instead of defining say three different swatches, you would define one, saying: "This is Brand …

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Give the Colors panel a useful color picker

Illustrator has a number of different color pickers that appear depending on what particular item you click on, but the one in the color panel is the least useful and most tiring to use.

As far as I can tell, this picker is the Brightness Cube from Photoshop but without the brightness slider that’s needed to make effective use of it. If you use the sliders to adjust saturation or brightness, the change isn’t reflected in the palette square.

With this picker, you can either reduce saturation but with maximum brightness, OR you can reduce brightness but with maximum saturation.…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Default input in Color Picker

Older versions of Illustrator used to default in "Hex" field of the Color Picker, but now the default is in "H" of HSB. This breaks up the workflow when copying a low of colors.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Color swatch import bug

To illustrate the bug - I have a file named logo and a file named base. Both have swatches named PRIMARY and SECONDARY (see attached). As I place the logo into the base file - even as a preview - the PLACED file adopts the swatch colors of the base file. I literally need to do the opposite. I need the base file to adopt the swatches of the placed file. Needs to have an option to REPLACE swatches.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Eyedropper automatically adds colour to swatches

I would suggest a function where eyedropper automatically adds picked color to swatches. Sometimes I take color from the picture and I have to first create an object, use eyedropper and then add it to swatches.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow to select several gradient sliders

Sometimes I need to move several sliders in gradients at once.
    I have to select them one by one and move each at distance I need.
    I'd like to select several sliders and move them simultaneously.
    Of course, they should be very clearly marked as selected, or this would confuse, if you forget to unselect them and then try to edit color for one.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Libraries - Add Ability to Drag-and-Drop Swatches from Library Panel to Swatches Panel

Add ability to drag-and-drop a color swatch from the Library Panel to the Swatches Panel.

The functionality exists in the Library Panel Menu, but can't be executed by drag-and-drop. Drag-and-drop swatches is a age-old UI convention in Illustrator and it feels broken that a user can't currently do this.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Change conversion of black when going from RGB to CMYK

Please change the default behavior when converting a file from RGB color space to CMYK color space to make RGB black convert to 100% black. Currently and for years, Illustrator converts it to a rich black, with high values in each ink. It's very common to have to take artwork created in RGB and covert it to CMYK for print, and the default conversion for black is never usable. Please make it practical and have 0,0,0, RGB black convert to Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow 0, Black 100.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add Find/Replace Color feature from InDesign

I would love to use the Find/Replace feature for color just as it is now used in InDesign. Changing a color that isn't global is tedious when you have many fills, strokes, patterns and gradients using the same swatch. Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add colors from toolbar to swatches in Illustrator

I would like to suggest that you should add a feature of "Add to swatches" from Indesign to Adobe Illustrator also. As you'd know in Indesign when we right click in ToolBar on froreground color or Outline we can simply add the color to swatches easily, but in illustrator we have to drag forcefully and drop it in Swatches panel.
    Attached is a screenshot from Indesign and Illustrator Workspaces for your reference.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Easily move large number of swatches into a cc library

Companies offer free downloads of their color libraries, typically over 1000 individual color swatches. Currently, each swatch has to be moved one-by-one into a library. It's extremely time consuming and tedious. I have talked to numerous customer service agents and there is no satisfactory work around.

Create an easy way to transfer numerous color swatches at once into a library (which allows for use of the search bar feature). Using ccda>your work>upload does not work either.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Give Pattern swatch an indicator icon in the Swatches panel

An often made mistake is that users drag a rectangle, filled with a color to the swatches panel, thinking that they added a new color swatch. In reality they created a pattern. Looking at the Swatches panel it is sometimes difficult to see the difference. In the attached example it is impossible to see which of the two green swatches is a color swatch or a pattern swatch. It would be good to have an indicator for pattern swatches, like spot or global color swatches. This is important when users want to to create a new pattern, fill…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make Global Swatches Retain Color Name When Added to a CC Library

It's important to clearly label color palette swatches for hand-off. It's especially important for CMYK production files. At present, a user would need to name the swatch twice. Once in the document swatch library and a second time when the swatch is added to a CC Library. An additional concern is that by default the CC Library saves the color as a HEX value even if the open document is in CMYK color mode.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Identify and name color swatches with human-readable names

There is a very handy tool in Yandex.ru search engine, named 'Колдунщик' (literally 'Sorcererer', with triple 'er').
    The way it works with colors is briefly described there (in Russian):
    https://yandex.ru/blog/company/94762

What it does is binds color names with color values. Some are quite standard, 'light blue', some are familiar, like 'bordeaux' (but every man think of different shade or even tone, speaking of it), some are very uncommon, like 'The color of the thigh of a frightened nymph' (it is a real colorhttps://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisse_de_Nymphe).

What if AI could name colors in a same way, when swatch…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base