Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

915 results found

1. Custom presets for Asset Export / Export for Screens

When adding in your own custom sizes and suffixes into the Asset Export panel it would be nice to be able to save these out as a preset for later use.

For my job I have to export the same image into 20-30 different sizes with individual names (suffixes) that don't change. That's why I thought it would be good if you could set up all the file sizes and names once then save it out as preset for later use or to even share with a colleague.

It would speed up the workflow for many people if this was…

300 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Option to export to clipping mask boundaries

When exporting assets to raster formats, it would be a huge time saver if we had an option to use the boundaries of clipping masks as the edge of the exported artwork. I created three triangles and used a circle as a clipping mask in the attached image. You can see that the exported file has a lot of padding around the artwork because the outer edges of the triangles are used as the boundaries of the file.

If there was an additional option to use the clipping mask boundary as the edge of the exported raster file, it would…

513 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

The fix has been rolled out and is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

What’s new in 24.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

3. Option to "Show Transparency Grid" by default for all the files at all the time

I deal with a lot of white icons/svg and would like to keep the transparency grid on by default for all the files.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Change arrow cursor back to how it used to be.

I would VERY much like to be able to change the arrow cursor style back to how it was prior to the most recent update. I do not like the arrows no longer having a handle; perhaps I'm irrational, but it's really throwing me and disrupting my workflow.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Export for Screens, CMYK to RGB

When working in a CMYK Illustrator file, the Export for Screens function currently creates CMYK jpgs. Since it is for screens, it should convert to RGB. Or at least there should be an option to convert the color mode for the exported files.

In a package design project, the files are primarily for printing, but digital mockups are a secondary purpose. So it is necessary for the CMYK color mode to be converted to RGB. Export for Screens seems like it should inherently create RGB files.

137 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Can't add EPS files to Creative Cloud libraries

Illustrator CC v. 22.1
    Mac OS High Sierra v. 10.13.4

When attempting to add an EPS file to a Creative Cloud library (click and drag from Mac finder to open library panel in Illustrator), the library panel indicates that I am "adding multiple files" and when I release the mouse button I get the error message that "bulk uploads are not supported in this file format" (see screenshot attached).

Currently, it seems the only workaround we have is to place the vector artwork inside an InDesign document, and then drag and drop into the library from there. However, my organization…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Installing new fonts don't automatically list in Illustrator unless I restart the App.

Hi there,

When I activate a new font in my font management app (in this case FontExplorer), the font doesn't show up in Illustrator. I have to quit Illustrator and reopen it in order to see the new font. In the past I didn't have this issue only in recent updates to Illustrator. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks so much

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fully support the SVG standard

Illustrator can not read every SVG file. Some it doesn't read at all, some are imported only halfway or just completely messed up. There are issues with <use>, especially when used in herarchies. e.g. this file: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europaflagge#/media/File:Flag_of_Europe.svg There are issues with groups and masks and there are issues when units are missing e.g. from stroke widths. Also: SVG can have several attributes which Illustrator will delete when opening. Fully supporting the standard will enable people to have a workflow based on SVG files.

149 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Started  ·  Dirk Schulze responded

Just a general status update. We are currently and will continuously improve SVG import support in Adobe Illustrator. We are currently working on solving the issues mentioned in this report. Please feel free to open new bug reports here on uservoice if you are experiencing additional/untracked issues.

9. AI & Indesign saving slow

sbh@mifamed.com
    After recent update ai files & indesign files are still saving very slow. We are working from with Phone data or local network issue. Kindly give us fresh new updates so we can save files fast.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Merge multiple vector files files

It would be very beneficial if you could target two or more files (.ai/.svg./eps/pdf) and merge all artboards in each of those files into one new document. There are scripts out there to merge multiple files but they often ignore the original artboard size or only merge the first artboard in each of the source files. This would save so much production time such as for Ui design, merging stock assets.

Thank you for reading!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Regression: Illustrator CC saves each instance of symbol in .ai file separately

How to reproduce this problem in Illustrator СС:

1. Create clean AI file with A4 page.

2. Place any pixel image (with size ~10 mb) embedded to this page. Save file, it will have size about ~10 mb)

3. Make this image as symbol and remove object from page.

4. Place symbol to page one time.

5. Save file. File size will be, eg, ~10 mb.

6. Now place same symbol to page more 4 times, total will be 5 images on page.

7. Save file and check size - it will be increased to ~50 mb.

As result, you will have ai file, containing only 5…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Symbols  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix synch with Google Drive

Fix the software to be able to save files to Google Drive. Currently if I save over an existing file hosted on Google Drive the new version does not save (if I quit the software, then try and open the file, only the original save/creation file loads, not the most recent version, which results in the loss of work).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow adding Patterns and Gradient swatches to Color Groups

Expanding on the existing request for gradient swatch support in color groups... We need groups that support all swatch types. I understand the purpose of Color Groups but the intuitive way to use these folders is as a generic "Swatch Group", without limitation to swatch type in order that we can organize assets appropriately within a project.

My suggestion is either to allow gradient and pattern swatches to be added to a Color Groups or add a new super group type that can contain any swatch type and color groups as well.

Groups would be organized in rows: color, gradients,…

134 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Select more than one layer at once

Okay if you have more than one layer...let's say 50 and I need to select 20 of them. Why can't someone select them with a single click instead of selecting every single layer? With shift selected I can mark more than one but they aren't selected. Same thing for sublayers and so on.

295 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone, This feature has been available since August 2020 release (version 24.3). Please update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html Thank you for all the feedback.

You can now select multiple layers in Layers panel. Click the bars (they get highlighted blue) if you want to operate layers and not their content (e.g. to drag to reorder) or click their markers to select their content — circle (target ones) or square (selection ones) next to them. There is no real difference which to pick, but if you want to select a range of layers, using Shift, use target markers.

15. File preview in home screen limited to artboard

In the home screen previews of the most recent files are available, but the preview includes all objects in the document, regardless of the artboard(s), so that the preview does not necessarily reflect the artwork very well.

(I routinely include loads of stuff outside the edge of the artboard, copies of elements I’m working on, template objects, etc. Which are part of my work process, but are just noise when it shows up on my preview.)

I therefore suggest that the preview only includes objects (or parts of objects) within the artboard(s).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Save As PDF and PDF Export

Illustrator is long overdue for PDF export. Without PDF export saving a PDF from Illustrator is an arduous, multi-step process that must be repeated every time. There is also a dangerous trap in the process that can make the user’s file uneditable. Compare this to InDesign, which has PDF export and all changes are sticky.

Illustrator
    1. File > Save a copy,
    2. Change format to PDF,
    3. Remove “ copy” from filename,
    4. Change directory,
    5. Click Save,
    6. Enter PDF options,
    7. Click Save.

InDesign
    1. File > Export,
    2. Click Export.

Because all options in InDesign are…

165 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is no true PDF Export in Illustrator, because Illustrator allows to have editable PDFs with .ai-content stored within. Other apps does not allow that, and some users heavily rely on editable PDFs.

Attemps to solve this were made, but there is no clear solution so far. Still we hope to find one.

The intended way to get a PDF (without loosing your data) at the moment would be to use Save a Copy command that saves a separate copy of your file to PDF instead of Save As which keeps a saved file open.

17. Save A Copy Action with current name of file

Currently, if you create an Action and go to File > Save A Copy... with a PDF Preset and in specific folder or desktop etc., it saves the file name that you create the Action with in the Action.
    It doesn't update to the new file you are applying the action to. So if you run this action on several documents they all save over each other unless you manually change the file name in the operating system.
    It would be nice if there was an option that lets you add the file name to which the action is being…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Actions  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. crashed and erased my project file? from two hard drives?

Just letting you know I just updated AI and it just crashed and the project file I was working on (that I had saved to two separate external hard drives) is nowhere to be found now, it didn't show up in my recent files and now I have searched where it was saved on both hard drives and it is completely gone. Awesome. So I guess my request is that if illustrator crashes make it to where it at least doesn't delete the project completely, and autosave backup would be nice but I'd really rather not have to start projects…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Please let list of scripts displayed in File > Scripts get updated

When I add or make changes to Scripts folder, I have to relaunch AI to make it see changes. How difficult it would be to add an option there to auto-update it, or just to add command 'Update scripts'?

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow Batch Actions to work on all open files

Batch Actions can work on a folder of files but not all open files. Photoshop can do this, why not Illustrator?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Actions  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base