Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or
  1. Existing "text variables" function from InDesign to Illustrator

Is it possible to add a similar feature to "text variables" from InDesign to Illustrator? In particular - the file name, modification date.
    It would be even better if there were some variables, for example - author, size of the canvas, minimum size of the text used in the project.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. distribute / align on edges of an artboard or a shape

A request to add two buttons to the "Align" options :
    distributing shapes on an artboard in order to have equal spaces between those two shapes AND the edges of the artboard.
    This could work with more than two shapes, and artboard could also be replaced by another shape (like a background color...).

This should be clearer with a picture...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Go back to old Align to Pixel check box

I wish Illustrator would go back to having a check box for align to pixel. That way I could see just by clicking on an object or objects that it is aligned. Now, in Illustrator CC 2017, I have to select every object seperately and press the new button on the top right, in order to get the message that it is aligned.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance, Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add dividers to custom tools panel (or enable stacking/docking them vertically)

It would be nice to be able to visually separate tool groups in custom toolbars since there is no way to stack them vertically. Think "groups" in Microsoft Office apps' "ribbon". We can currently only...

A) Mash all of our tools into one toolbar, with no means of visual organization apart from the order in which they appear (I don't count stacking the tools as "visual organization", since I cannot see them).

B) Snap multiple toolbars together, but not while docked to edge of UI. They will not be movable together like this, and other UI elements can overlap…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Re-Size Font to bounding box, not bounding box to text

Have an option for the text to adjust to the size of the text box for longer text for variable input purposes.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Break apart blocks of text into separate text objects: by lines, words, characters, outlines

As done in Flash, I need to be able to paste in a block of text and "break apart" the single text object to several separate text objects. Ideally each time I click break apart, the action will break the text down further: by lines, then words, then characters, then to outlines. This action should be assigned a shortcut to quickly cut up text that has been pasted in from outside Illustrator.

I spend a lot of time pasting in label text for infographics and diagrams, and then cutting and pasting repeatedly to separate the labels out for positioning.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Enable 2017 functionality of marquee selecting text without exiting text tool

In 2017 CC Illustrator (and 2016 I believe), I could marquee select text on a text box in scope to edit text. Now in 2018, any time I am working in a text box and click-down outside the scope of the textbox, it immediately exits the text box and creates a new one. This is problematic for me when I am working with text and want to highlight portions of text but need to start the marquee selection outside of the text and drag it in. It results in alot of redundant re-selection and very careful precision to…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Text moves when adjusting an applied Text Effect...

When you apply Arc (or any other text effect) to text, then adjust the percentage of Arc, the text moves up. You have to reposition the text to where it was... Inconvenient when you're trying to warp the text around an existing object. Would be ideal if the text would stay in place when the effect is adjusted.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Bounding box+text

For the love of God, please make an option for the bounding box around text to only bound to the visible text. When I'm aligning text, either visually or by inputting numbers in the transform panel, I absolutely do not care about invisible space, what I want is what I can see to be centered or aligned. I'm so sick of having a text box snap to a guide or object, or me inputting exact numbers in the transform panel, only for the text to be offset and misaligned. if this option DOES exist,…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Switch to Eyedropper while editing text

While editing text, we often need to grab the Eyedropper tool to pick some formatting or color for the selected range from another object. An instinct whispers 'Press I key' — and it obviously but often unexpectedly replaces the range with the 'I'. Undo!
    Then me might think of pressing Alt — and it does temporarily switch to Pan — which is cool and useful, since you can’t hit space.
    We need a modifier to temporarily switch to Eydropper.

...but all modifiers are taken (except fort Ctrl+Shift, which swithes input languages if you have several for some users) and…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Marquee Select with text box in scope creates a new text box

Marquee Select with text box in scope creates a new text box. This did not occur in Illustrator in the last 5+ years that I have been using it. This is relevant for users like me who do more text editing in Illustrator.

in 2017 and prior, when you had a text box in scope that you were editing text in, you could marquee select the text or portions of it by starting a click outside of the text area. Now, in 2018, this will create a new text box every time. The result is that it is noticeably more…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Added To Backlog  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi,

Thanks for submitting this request , Illustrator team really appreciate this.
    We had taken your feedback on this and added it to backlog

12. Add ability to apply gradient to text without using new fill

AI allows to make live text colored with gradient only by applying new fill to a text. This knowledge often comes occasionally, when users finally got into Appearance. AI just doesn't says it't wrong, shows no hint, does nothing when people try to apply gradient as they do for everything else.

Meantime, each symbol within text can have their own fill.
    And when you apply gradient with a drag to an ungrouped set of path objects, AI applies gradient to all of them, placing each gradient into right position.

Thus I just don't understand, why AI still doesn't allow…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The latest update is now causing 'align to top' to behave like 'align to bottom', and 'align to left' to behave like 'align to right'

The alignment tools never had this problem until the latest update. Wish I hadn't updated since it's now slowing my workflow. Please consider fixing this issue on the next update.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Auto-adjust text box to text

In the past, with Freehand, we could to do that by clicking on the bottom corner right of the text box.
    Recover that would be a good idea.
    Thanks!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 112 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Editable text in Dynamic Symbol instances

For dynamic symbols to make sense it should be possible to edit the text content, color, and other text attributes of each symbol instance without altering the master.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Global Edit - Text, Grouped, Clip masked

Would love to see advance global editing. I've noticed that grouped, clip masked and text doesn't work with global editing. This will really speed things up for all adobe illustrator user.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Linking Paths without Grouping/Compounding

Like in Photoshop, I'd like to link paths (like PS linking layers) that does not group them together, compound them, or reorganize them within my document. I just want to be able to select one piece and have it select the linked paths at the same time, even if they are alternating with other paths within my layer.

(See Image: Shadows alternate level on layer, flat–shadow–flat–shadow–etc. I would just like to select those shadows all at once, while also having the same gradient within other non-linked paths).

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Select Text From Anywhere Within Text Box

Say I want to select some text. If I click and drag within a text box, Illustrator assumes that I want to create an additional text box. To select the text I want, I need to position my pointer exactly next to the text.
    Can the 'selected' area be expanded to within the entire text box?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Copy/pasting text from illustrator into other text editors

I can't copy text from illustrator and paste into Word, gmail, Notes, Google Docs... anything! It makes it so I have to retype everything which is insane. I used to be able to copy from illustrator into other text editing tools. Why not anymore?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base