Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop)
  2. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. can't save illustration

After updating to Illustrator 2021, I get a "can't save illustration" error when trying to save as eps

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export resolution

There is an inconsistency between illustrator and the rest of the world (Photoshop / Bridge / Finder) regarding export resolutions.
    When one exports a 100px board on Ai set at 300ppi the file info shows 422 x 422 i.e. 100 * 300 / 72 on Ps an export will show as 100 X 100 which makes sense and that’s how other programs view it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Illustrator (24.3) can't save AI or PDF files

Mac 10.15.6
    This is now the third time this has happened to me. All of sudden Illustrator loses the ability to save files. When I try to save a file - a window will popup and say "An unknown error has occerred" and nothing I do will fix it. I can save the file as EPS or SVG - but no PDF or AI

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Saving a PDF compatible causes slow saving

Saving an Illustrator document with "PDF compatibility" selected causes the file save to be ridiculously slow. It should not take this amount of time to save a document. Was previously "fixed" in 24.0 but has not been fixed at all.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Transparent PNG exporting fine but gives black background when importing

I used Illustrator 24.1.1 to export transparent PNG images. I can use these images in other programs and as web images but when I want to use them in Illustrator again it opens with a black background. I've tried to copy and paste the images, I've tried to place it and even to open it and then drag it to my workspace. Nothing works. I'm using Windows 10.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Export As 'Use Artboards' not working

I'm using Windows 10, up to date as of 8th Nov 2020.

I have a new file, 85mm x 55mm. set up with a 3mm bleed. When attempting to export a JPG or PNG without the bleed (so, only the artboard visible) it still outputs the bleed area. I have tried exporting for screen, exporting with the 'Use Artboards' box both checked and unchecked. I have even reset my Illustrator preferences. No idea why this is suddenly not working in V25.0

I also get an error when attempting to export at 300DPI, which has never been an issue in the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Save Indicator

Recently updated to Illustrator 24.3. Thanks for fixing the shift - anchor point issue. Unfortunately it appears Illustrator is no longer providing any visual feedback upon saving the document. (Apple+S) This is regarding open documents that have already previously been saved. I use to get a status bar along with % save was at as it progressed. Now there is nothing to indicate the document is saving.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Exporting from AI to Jpg/PNG - Thin line at bottom of photo.

When exporting and AI file (Logo in this case) to a JPG/PNG format from AI, each image had a thin black line at the frame of the image on the bottom. There was nothing on the artboards that would have caused this. I had to open the exported images in photoshop and remove the line manually. Image attached.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Unknown error when exporting to jpeg or PNG

I am trying to export my work to a Jpeg or PNG to work on photoshop but i keep on getting and unknown error. Please help I need this fix so i can complete my work. this is URGENT!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Unable to turn off anti-aliasing when exporting a BMP - Illustrator 25.0

Using Illustrator 25.0

Exporting file as BMP, RGB @ 1200ppi with Anti-aliasing set to none but the file still shows anti-aliasing.

Had to go back to Illustrator 24.3 to get a bmp without anti-aliasing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. AIC save as causing crash

When working with an AIC file it can not yet be embedded into InDesign. In order to do so, I need a local copy of the file.

When choosing "save as" and then a local folder, on pressing save Illustrator crashes. I have tried this several times on a few different computers now :(

Have had to resort to copying the contents and setting up a new document locally in which to paste - not efficient at all!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bad version for save option panel

Illustrator 25.0 (2021) - macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

There is only 2020 version for save option panel, no 2021 version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Illustrator 24.2 not saving changes!!!!!

Since the last update it already happened twice, and I am mad as ****!!!

I just had another file that I worked one day before, and when I opened it now, the file has a lot of missing changes! Pretty much hours of work are gone! And I will have to do all over again! Luckily I had saved a copy as PDF to show to the client, so some graphics I could recover, but all the text elements I will have to redo!

And the crazy thing is that I have the habit of saving changes pretty much every…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Save As or Save Copy not working

I have a document (on a network share). I can edit the file and save it normally.

But SAVE AS or SAVE COPY do not work at all. Just Nothing Happens.
    Sometimes a short spinning ball. No errors, no feedback.

Illustrator 24.2 on Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.4, iMac 2019 40GB memory

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Export for screen file name not working

So, I am using Illustrator 25.0 on a Mac 10.15.7 and when I want to export artboards through export for screen menu, the output file only contains the artboard name. The file name is missing (as prefix).

The process is:
    1. I create a document.
    2. Draw a rectangle (or anything) in artboard named 'rectangle'.
    3. Save it anywhere as 'test.ai'
    4. Export the artboard using export for screen as a JPG, with default settings — Ai won't show any file name.
    5. The exported file is named rectangle.jpg instead of test-rectangle.jpg

In older versions the exported artboard used to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Accessing onedrive files

We store all our art files on onedrive. I am unable to import or access illustrator files from our onedrive. Would love to be able to open, edit and re-save to make in the moment adjustments. Or am I doing something wrong?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Crashing when trying to save file

Sometimes when I'm trying to save my progress on a file, it crashes and doesn't create a recovered file or anything. I've lost a lot of work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. desktop overrides ipad

ai desktop 25.0 and ai ipad

if drawing is open on desktop and i open it in ipad (and leave it open on desktop) and make changes .... then go back to the desktop the changes don't show up , but then, the old desktop version got synced and overrode the ipad changes on the ipad :(, and changes lost

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Illustrator not deleting .tmp files after upgrades to Catalina

We've recently started upgrading our users to Catalina, and since then multiple people have reported Illustrator is creating .tmp files that can't be deleted. We've turned off Save in Background, Export in Background, optimize saving for slow networks, and Saving Cloud documents. The issue seems to be intermittent, we haven't been able to find a pattern.

When it makes these files, they can't be deleted in Finder.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base