Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

915 results found

1. Add the ability to select multiple files to open at once from the Home Screen

The home screen in AI, IND & PSD NEEDS a Multi-Select feature to easily open multiple recent files at once.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Recent updates have made working with type more difficult

Using type in illustrator used to be a breeze. Now it seems you need near pixel-perfect accuracy to highlight or to select the type box. Often now you will just end up creating a new type box when trying to highlight type already present. Honestly, it worked great before whatever update changed this and now it's somewhat irritating to use. It's not a major issue really, but sometimes the old 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' advice should be heeded.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. This might actually be useful in other products but have an "open frequent" as well as open recent, if you have to load a file alot

I was thinking you could add hexadecimal count in file so only adding a byte of data but then what happens when you share files ect, I don't know if there is already a easy way already in the metadata you could implement it

Now I know you can create libraries to sort of do what I'm saying or bridge.

A couple of situations where it would be useful loading up logo for a frequent client or company you work for.

If you have been working on a project with a few different files day and night for months, then…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Copy multiple artboards between files.

Copy, merge and save artboards between files. For example select multiple artboards, copy to other file, or save as .artboard file... Option to paste or merge this file/clipboard to other open document. Makes it easier to maintain libraries, icons, style elements etc in one file to work with or to share.

241 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

This functionality now is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

You may read about this functionality here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new/2020-1.html#cut_copy

What’s new in 24.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

5. Set export options to default to the same folder the native is housed in

Set default export or save as locations to start in the same folder as the native Ai file as opposed to previous locations. It can be rather cumbersome when switching to an entirely new project, then exporting that project and having the 'save as' default to the entirely other project's recent save.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Import all pages at once from PDF file (that doesn't have illustrator embeded)

I'm working at prepress for 20 years.. and verrrry often i need to open PDF files to correct some mistakes on many pages.. (like add bleed, or move all elements away from edges...

it would be cool if illustrator would allow to open all pages at once for multipage PDF files..

Ok, i know that i can edit page by page... or i can open one page, than save as with different name AI file, than open all other pages and copy content to that first saved AI document... but thats not cool for 8 page brochure..

thank you

175 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

7. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix the "Restore" AI Window Size when opening an AI file from File Explorer

What we want is simple, make it so that opening an AI file from File Explorer does not change if AI is in windowed mode, or fullscreen mode.

This has been an issue for years that disrupts the workflow of users on a regular basis. Here is an old forum thread going back as far as June 2012 further detailing this ongoing issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1026020

When opening an AI file from File Explorer, Illustrator automatically Restores down to a window from Maximized mode. While the work-around, (of extending edges of Illustrator's window from edge-to-edge of the desired monitor), minimizes the impact…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Open an InDesign file in Illustrator

Need to be able to open an Indesign file directly in AI. No reason to go to pdf and totally destroy the artwork. files are uneditable converting from Id to PDF to AI.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Quick Look support for .ai files in MacOS

Selecting a file in the MacOS Finder and then pressing spacebar to preview the file is one of the great features of the OS. It works with image files of many types as well as PDF files, etc. But not .ai files. Please build a Quick Look extension to add this support. Thanks.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Change "Export For Screens" Save Path Default To File Folder

If I go to File > Export > Export For Screens the default save path points to the last folder I used. What we as users are expecting is the default path to be equal to the same folder as the Illustrator file is currently located in.

If you feel this should not be the default at least give us a way to change this in the AI Preferences. Thanks!

126 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Opening old Freehand files in Illustrator?

Can you guys bring this "feature" to Illustrator?

There are a lot of old Freehand users still having TONS of Freehand files (illustrations, assets, icons, etc.) in their archives waiting for the day when Illustrator will open old Freehand files so we can reuse them once more!

I know this is a lot to ask, but can you guys give it a try?

Ty!

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Update all linked files

When you have a large number of linked files changes, but you have a manual mode with the confirmation, you can’t say 'Update all links' in the dialogue window, and you don’t have it as a button in the Links panel.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Place multiple files in a grid like InDesign (Gridify)

InDesign has a very nifty feature that I would like to see in Illustrator; if you press the arrow keys while placing multiple files at once, you can create a "grid" of said files. Depending on the job I'm working on, I have to place hundreds of files at once... Having this feature would streamline a lot of my projects.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Creative Cloud Files appear in Library Panel in Illustrator

Currently folders and files in the Creative Cloud Files folder are local and synchronise with the cloud. They are visible on the website but are separate from Creative Cloud Libraries that we use inside Illustrator. It’s tantalisingly close to being an awesome feature, yet…

Please join them up! Make creative cloud files visible in the libraries panel in Illustrator, and vice versa; and make the libraries available locally.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Batching actions can't access files through Windows file shortcuts

If user has a folder with shortcuts to files in different folders and try to batch this folder, AI can't see files. It would be great if it could.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. File Specific "Export For Screen" Settings (mainly location)

As a designer with multiple files,
    I want the ability to set the export for screens folder per file,
    So that I don't have to constantly relocate the location of the output for each file I open up. It would be helpful to get **** done.

• When exporting a file the location identified for the first time is saved for subsequent times I access to export.
    26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to change layer visibility of linked files with Object Layer Options

Using linked ai documents in an Illustrator file is a great way to reduce the file load on the system, and also to work collaboratively. It would be nice to be able to toggle layers in placed psd and ai files in the same way that InDesign does (accessed via import options on place, or by right-click context menu).

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Rename linked file

If I want to rename a file which is linked to a file (for whatever reason), I have to perform a humiliating process: find a link in Explorer, rename it, return to Ai, wait until it finds out the file is missing, search for the file in a dialog.

When this would be so much faster just to right-click the file (on canvas or in Links panel) and do 'Rename linked file'.

And please consider the other similar request about renaming an embedded image:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/47013226-rename-embedded-image

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please support WebP, JPEG XL/XS, HEIC(HEIF), aPNG file formats (import and export)

Dear Illustrator team, pleas add support for thess file formats in Illustrator: WebP, JPEG XL, JPEG XS, HEIC(HEIF), aPNG

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base