Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1117 results found

1. Slow Saving of PDF to Network Share

Whne trying to save PDF's to a network share the save time varies from instant to nearly 30 seconds. The size of the file does not matter, something small can hang with nearly the same chance of something large. The network share is gig e and the server and SAN are brand new and quite powerful. This issue only happens in Illustrator, no other program both Adobe and other vendor has this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. metadata in save for web does not save the metadata

metadata in save for web does not save the metadata

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Legacy "save as" from CC2018 does not work

"Save as" to legacy CS6 , CS5, etc. from CC2018 does not work - although it looks like it does. Trying to open the file in CS6 will get an error that the file was created in a newer version. To confirm the file has not been converted to CS6 (or other legacy version), check the file window. It will display no version number and right-clicking on the file and choosing "get info" will also show no version number.

To work around the bug, launch CS2017 and "save as" to the desired legacy version. You will now see a version…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Exporting to JPEG(Optimized) results Progressive JPEG

I exported my design as JPEG "Baseline Optiomized" on Illustrator CC 22.1. However it results a progressive JPEG file that contains a SOF2 "FF C2" .
    Please check it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Devanagari scripts

The use of devanagari scripts in most Creative Suite is really laborious. It took me a long time before finding the way to have a correct display of simple copy/paste from Word or any other source of hindi or sanskrit texts by adjusting, in TWO différents dialog boxes the appropriate settings. I finally found the way to do it but, as I wanted to use a composition in a webpage, I exported my composition as SVG, and the result was just terrible: no word was correctly spelled and I had to retype all of them in Dreamweaver (which has a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. create new

"Create new..." does not work on Win 10 latest CC 2018 update, new subscription, first time using Illustrator. I've seen Illy used by many people up close, it's not me - it's the Create New feature, it's broken from the File > menu, the full screen app convenience tile menu, and also CTRL+N. None of it progresses past the initial "what new file setup do you want". And yes, I pressed "Create" not cancel.

Very disappointed, I just paid for a year of this, greeeaaat.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Adobe Illustrator did not save and included my link files. Those files were not embedded.

Usually, to prevents lost files, I will save and checked the "include link files". However, now this feature isnt working. I tried several times but the files in my Ai hasnt been embedded. It is very annoying because I will need to embed all the files manually. Please FIX this

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Acrobat DC PDF file has a difference spot color name than the same PDF imported into Illustrator

1. A production file was created in Illustrator CC 2017 (21.1.0) Windows 7 and saved as a PDF for print.
    2. The file needed editing and when opened again in CC 2018 (22.1.0) on Windows 10, one of the spot color names in illustrator is different from the PDF file.
    3. File-open repeats the issue, but File- Place imports the correct spot color name.
    4. Not only did the spot color name change but the text underneath a color call out, we do use Tortoise SVN software which could be part of the issue. Why would illustrator read that file differently than Acrobat DC?
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Illustrator does not embed a color profile when exporting artwork to PNG format

When exporting to JPG format there is option to select color profile and an option to embed the chosen color profile in file. There is no such support for PNG files and I find many times I am asked for a transparent PNG file for print work and am unable to embed color profile.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Poor quality images from Export for Screens

Mac OS 10.13.5, Illustrator 22.1

Images from artboards containing embedded raster files output using Export for Screens are of decidedly lower quality than those output from Save for Web. Please see the attached image for a side-by-side comparison. Save for Web is on the left, Explort for Screens on the right. Top images are actual size, bottom enlarged for emphasis. Notice the jaggies in the raster images.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Illustrator CC crashes every time I try to Export for Screens

Illustrator has crashed 12 consecutive times when I Export for Screens but only when I choose SVG as output.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. "Save for Web (Legacy)" defaults to some arbitrary folder (on Win10)

Whenever I do a "Save for Web (Legacy)" the first time in an Illustrator session, it defaults to some arbitrary location that has nothing to do with... well, anything. I think it might have been the location I used the first time I issued the command under Illustrator 22.0, but that was months ago, so I can't say for sure.

If I choose a different directory and save my images/slices there, that's becomes the new default directory for the remainder of that Illustrator session. But if I exit and restart Illustrator, it's back to defaulting to a location that makes…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator CC 2018 in macOS High Sierra Save 'Adobe PDF' presets/.joboptions scrambled, unsorted, mixed up

Since the Illustrator CC got updated to 2018 in macOS High Sierra, whenever saving as Adobe PDF, the PDF print settings/job options got all scrambled/mixed up in the 'Save Adobe PDF' dialog.

These should be sorted alphabetically, but as you can see they're all mixed up. A couple of colleagues are also experiencing this. Is there any way to workaround/fix this issue? See related thread from InDesign - could a startup JSX fix this issue?

See my original post on the Illustrator users forum: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10419940#

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

14. SVG href property exports incorrectly

When illustrator exports SVGs, it sometimes will use the href property to reference something like an embedded image or gradient from the <defs>, which is reasonable. Docs for the href property here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/href

However, safari does not support href yet, and will completely drop the reference, making SVGs widely render incorrectly in safari, up to the latest version. In order to make them work properly, the deprecated xlink:href property must also be used, docs below:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/xlink:href

All bases can be covered by including both the href and xlink:href properties, until all modern browsers have fully adopted the SVG2 spec.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Text not read when opening EMF file

I am running Adobe Illustrator CC version 22.1 on Windows. When I open the attached .emf file, the text elements in the file are omitted. You can see what the file should look like by opening it in MS Paint. The expected behavior is for Illustrator to import all elements, including the text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Strange Distort Upon Export

Please see the following thread for the full breakdown: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10450879#10450879

Stange bug that appears to happen when exporting to JPG and PNG causing the artwork to distort randomly!

System and Adobe up to date, computer and Illustrator was restarted to no effect and using Macbook Pro 13 inch 2015.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Import of images with Version 4 ICC color profile (P3) corrupts image colors on macOS 10.13.5

Adobe Illustrator CC 22.1, macOS 10.13.5
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Get an image with newer ICC profile like P3 (wide gamut). Such are screenshots from newest iOS devices (e.g. iPad Pro, iPhone X)
    2. Drag to canvas or import file into Adobe Illustrator
    3. Observe actual result (see screenshots)
    4. Compare with file open in other apps (InDesign, Sketch, Preview for mac)
    Expected result: images should be visually the same
    Current result: build 22.1 completely corrupts colors. Image is barely recognizable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Losing Layers when saving as PDF from CC 2018 and reopening in CC2017

Losing Layers when saving as PDF from CC 2018 and reopening in CC2017.
    We save all our ai files as "Illustrator Default" PDF's so we can see the layers in Acrobat and come back and modify the file in ai with no concerns. After updating to CC 2018 and saving a file the same way making sure to preserve illustrator and create acrobat layers when opened in an older version of ai (CC 2017) we will not see the file with layers. If opened in 2018 all is good. Never had this issue with CC 2017 when someone opened it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. excel

Trying to copy/paste a graph from Excel to Illustrator (or open a PDF from excel). Sometimes it pastes fine as vector shapes, but other times a complex graph paste as pixelated images(the lines still paste as vector lines though). For example instead of pasting a cluster of circles, it pastes a cluster of pixelated circle shapes with a mask....Why doesn't it just paste as vector circle shapes as usual? Is the graph too complex? What are my options?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Intermittently, Illustrator does NOT save the file.

Intermittently, when I save a file (using Ctrl-S or File > Save), the existing file is NOT saved. This has caused me to lose work.

The Illustrator UI thinks that the file has been saved - the File > Save option is greyed out. When I look in the file's location on disk, the existing file shows an older file date and time; the last time it saved successfully. There is a new file with the expected date and time and the extension "t".

I can do a "Save As" which works. I can make some trivial changes…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base