What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

33 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ivan Espervik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

53 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You just need to turn off the GPU performance, this fixed it for me. Definitely a bug that needs to be fixed from the adobe team

• leidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

System info to previous post, sorry:
    - Apple LED Cinema Display, 27-inch (2560 x 1440), Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB graphics
    -MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) with touch bar

• leidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem (Sierra 10.12.6, Adobe CC Illustrator 22.1)
    The red screen does disappear when changing to Window > Application frame.

Same for me.
    2014 MacBook Pro 15 / OS 10.13.3
    Illustrator CC18
    Have an Eizo external monitor.
    Files open as black. If I resize or drag to laptop and back, they are fine. Super annoying.

• Neal Eaton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry. Did not include system info:
    2017 MacBook Pro 15 in. w/Touch Bar
    209 i7
    16gb Radeon Pro 560 4gb + Intel HD Graphics 630 1536mb
    Illustrator 22.1

• Neal Eaton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue with a fully red document window on my Primary (external monitor) upon opening a file from Finder or through the AI Open Dialog Box. It has been going on for a few weeks, and just now have turned off GPU acceleration, and that seems to have resolved. Wont be enabling the Application Frame, because I do not like that interface.

HOWEVER, I am having an additional issue with palettes moving from their preferred locations...my tool palette will move from the left side of the screen to the right, my swatches/color/layers/etc grouped palettes will move from the left edge of the screen toward the center, and be placed OVER the tool palette.

ALSO with rulers enabled, they never stay on from document to document...I have to manually turn them on with EVERY document. Seems like this was not an issue in earlier CC versions and definitely was not an issue in CS6. Minor annoyance, but still there.

• Simone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here.
    I also have secondary monitor as my primary desktop.
    But the mentioned workarounds help for now..

Adobe Illustrator CC 22.1
    MacBookPro Retina, 15', Mid 2015)
    2,8 GHz Intel Core i7
    AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    High Sierra Version 10.13.3

• Eric Shawver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Red screen every time when using secondary monitor (with Application Frame turned off).

Adobe Illustrator CC (22.1)
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    Processor 2.8GHz Intel Core i7
    macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3

• Tom Waterhouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to confirm, it's the same solution for me as well. Basically adjusting the workspace in any of the following ways will fix the issue:
    - Resizing the window;
    - Turning on the application frame (or toggling it on/off);
    - Moving the document to another monitor.

The issue appears to be having a secondary monitor as your primary desktop.

Thanks for the help, hopefully this is something that can be fixed, but we have workarounds for now.

Turning on the Application Frame only fixes documents that are open. If the Application Frame is already on and I open or create a new document, I still have the black screen problem.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the red document issue and my secondary monitor is my main application monitor. I have the application frame off. Always. Once I dragged my red document window to my primary monitor, the file returned to normal. I was able to drag it over to my secondary and work away.

• Ivan Espervik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did you mean Application Frame? (Not work.) Does not solve the issue here. Only turning off GPU accelereation permanently solves it.

• AdminAshutosh Chaturvedi (Sr. Quality Engineering Manager, Adobe Illustrator) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Daniel for the confirmation. We have also found out that the issue only reproduces when the additional monitor is the primary and once you open another document in the tab or do a new document that openes in the tab the problem goes away.

Others please comment on the thread so that we have have few more confirmation and update the workaround for benefit for all.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

i activated the application framework and then there is no problem with the red screen with activated GPU.

Im on a macbook pro 2017 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7
    Radeon Pro 555 2 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same issue immediately after upgrade.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

• Sarah Khan (Illustrator team) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Timo and Jochen,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please once turn on your application framework from windows-> Application framework. Please revert if the problem persists.

Thanks,
    Sarah

I just completed the updates on ai, photoshop and indesign. I am also getting a black screen when I go to open files with any function: double clicking, open or recently opened in .ai
    Is there a fix for this that I am missing? I am unable to complete my work! EEEKKKEEEKK
    Thanks for any suggestion on resolving this issue quickly.

• Ivan Espervik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: Only happens with external display connected. On built in display, this is not an issue.

MacBook Pro 15-inch 2017, Radeon Pro 560, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27-inch

Feedback and Knowledge Base