Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

942 results found

1. "Open" button not responding first time

After the recent update, with the new layout of the home screen, I have to click the "Open..." button two or three times before it opens the file explorer window. It acts like it is being clicked, but then nothing happens.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Toplayers in layer panel flip open when opening files, even after closing them when closing the file.

Files with a lot of layers that have sublayers should keep their toplayers 'closed' to keep things orderly and manageable. Now every time I open a file, AI flips most (not all! why?) toplayers open, thereby showing all sublayers, making the layer panel a superlong list and cluttering view. I always have to start by manually closing them all again. rinse and repeat after closing the file.... There seems to be no structure as to which toplayers get flipped open and which stay closed, so it is not a pref setting it seems.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Mohit Agarwal | Lead Software Engineer – Illustrator

3. Zoom - Scroll Wheel

In Illustrator CC the program seems hardwired to not listen to the tablet settings about scroll wheel zoom or even touch pad zoom. There are lots of people online complaining about this and trying to find work arounds.
    I suggest just creating a hard wired button like photoshop did to fix this issue.
    This wasn't an issue with Illustrator CS4, so I'm not sure what changed.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

4. Drop down menus stop working

Drop down menus will stop working at random. For example, the weight menu under the character panel will not drop down. However, if for example I have my font set to "Black", although I cannot use the drop down menu, I can select the word "Black" and type "Bold" and it will switch the font to bold.

This happens with various menus throughout the software. I have not been able to fix it. Even after quitting the program and restarting my computer the issues persists.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Properties Panel allows to edit Transform values when there is no selection

The panels still show you properties even if nothing is selected. So you can tweak them all you want, just to notice you’re actually not modifying anything.

If nothing is selected they should be disabled

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Naming of Pathfinder functions is inconsistent between the Pathfinder Panel and Effect

Naming of Pathfinder functions is inconsistent between the Pathfinder Panel (and the Undo text) and the Pathfinder Effect.

The Tooltip shows “Unite” in the Pathfinder Panel
    Unite from the Pathfinder Panel is the same as Add.
    Unite is missing from the Pathfinder Effect and is named Add instead.
    If you have clicked the Unite button in the Pathfinder Panel, the Undo option displays “Undo Add”.

The Tooltip shows “Minus Front” in the Pathfinder Panel
    Minus Front from the Pathfinder Panel is the same as Subtract.
    Minus Front is missing in the Pathfinder Effect and is named Subtract instead.
    If you…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Getting error while opening illustrator. Workspace missing.

Get an error while starting the illustrator. Workspace is missing as well. Even if I reset the workspace nothing happens. Nothing happens when I select an already saved workspace. Please figure this out ASAP cannot complete my work.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Please try to delete your preferences. If it still doesn’t solve your problem, please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

8. Layers Window Twirl Down Icon Issue

I only know of this occurring on the latest version of Adobe Illustrator CC 2017 for Windows 8.1. In the Layers Windows, there's a very slight graphical bug. A locked group within another locked group is expanded to show what it contains by pressing the sideways "V" shaped arrow to the group's left side. As expected, the arrow plays its animation of rotating into the downward "V" shape and expanding the group. However, when the locked group is compressed down again, the button to expand the group disappears and is unclickable until clicking off to another item in the Layers…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

9. release to layers not working

release to layers not working. Does it for 1 group or sublayer, but not for all of them. Had to open CC 2014 to get it to work.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Mohit Agarwal | Lead Software Engineer – Illustrator

10. I can't paste into a new layer

I've updated to Illustrator version 22.0.0. I am working on a file where I need to replace a logo bug, so created a new layer. I've locked the original layer and then tried to paste the new bug onto the new layer (yes, it is selected), but I get the notice "You are attempting to paste or drag into one or more layers that are locked or hidden. Do you want to unlock and show all approriate layers?" So now I have to paste onto the original layer first, then move up to new layer. Is this a bug?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As stated in the comment, if 'Paste Remembers Layers' option is turned off in Layers panel’s menu, this is an expected behavior — Illustrator tries to paste the art into a layer with the same name it was copied from, ignoring the selection in Layers.

If you disable it, Ai will respect the layer selected.

11. CC2014 No artboard names (macOS Sierra - 10.12)

When using Illustrator CC2014 with macOS Sierra (10.12.6) no artboard names appear. Can this bug be rectified please?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Item on Selection Menu repeated in the dropdown list

I actually using the the spanish version and is there a repeated name for menu option "Object" and it seems to be useless.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Constrain proportions via text entry no longer working

According to the Illustrator User Manual, and in previous versions, with respect to Reshaping Objects (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/scaling-shearing-distorting-objects.html):

"You can also maintain proportions by entering a value in the W or H box, and then pressing Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) while you press Enter."

This no longer works and is rather annoying. Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Stop Button not Working

If I open something but I changed my mind, I see there's a stop button while it's loading, but I can click on that stop button all I want, it doesn't want to stop. What's the point of having a stop button then?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. UI Not Scaling Down

After updating to the 2018 version of Illustrator, I found that the UI wasn't scaling to the proper resolution. I expected it to be proper & have smaller buttons & such. In reality, all of the tools & toolbars are bloated like it's scaled to 200%.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Embed Doesn't Show Up in New Properties Panel

The Embed option appears in the new Properties panel when a Linked object is selected, but doesn't appear when multiple Linked objects are selected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Inconsistencies changing sizes using keyboard arrows

In illustrator if you change sizes using shift + arrows in the top bar, it rounds up to the nearest 10 and then goes up in 10s. In photoshop it doesn't round up just increases by 10.

I think it would be better to be able to choose which mode to use as sometimes I prefer either depending on what I am doing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Hitting Enter/Return to confirm after modifying values (Stroke, Opacity, Etc) in the Top Toolbar Opens a Move Dialog Box Instead

When modify values such as opacity in the toolbar, i have always hit enter/return to confirm changes. As of recently however, this now opens a Move dialog box instead of submitting my changes. (See the attached gif for an example)

If there is something wrong about my workflow please let me know, but I don't currently see any other way of confirming these types of minor edits.

After several rounds of cancelling the move dialog, the changes will miraculously go through, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why. As you can imagine, this is…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Some shortcut keys is not working well

Some of the shortcut keys is not working well when drag file from computer to illustrator.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base