What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

Can't open files properly

v 22.1

When trying to open an existing file while Illustrator is closed, the software will lag and then hang on the opening screen. The file appears to be opened in the background, but there's no way to access or see it. The opening screen will give options to open additional files or create a new one (as usual) but when trying to do either, nothing will open and no New File Options menu will appear.

Everything will work normally only if I open Illustrator first and then the file.

This happens will every file I've tried, so this isn't an issue of corruption.

187 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

VP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

175 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to chime back in and say this has happened 10 times to me today on the new 23.0.4 release. It's affecting my productivity.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A similar issue happens in 23.0.4. New document windows do not appear. Worse the document window appears to be active on another document. This is the worst release of illustrator I can remember. I'm loosing so much time working, and I'm always under the gun at work. Bad adobe, no cookie.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly same thing happened... it's frustrating because not only this is happening many times, it happened during my class demonstrating how to use Illustrator! You're losing future customers Adobe. Fix the bug ASAP PLEASE

• giovanni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

El proble aun sigue se ha actualizado el programa abre correctamente deja trabajar guardar etc cerramos el archico y si deseamos abrir el mismo archivo o alguno diferente el se cierra.

• Derek Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. Suddenly can't open certain files. Colleague can open fine on his illustrator. My illustrator gets spinning wheel of death. I restart computer, my file shows up just as everything is closing down. Sooo frustrating!!!!!!

• Mark D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Updated to that version and now my 3rd party plug in no longer works. Great!

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry to say, but not even close to completed, Anish. Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator all have their own issues, but this issue has shown up in all three programs for me. It may plague other software, but these are the three major pain points for me. Others I'm sure, have their own.

I've been an Adobe customer since 1989. Very disappointed with the core products performance over the past 6-9 months. They have been continuously deteriorating.

• Quincy Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue in the latest release on 5/2/19.
    This bug happens to me constantly, usually when I don't open Illustrator for a month or two.
    The only fix I've found is to delete the appdata, which is insanely inconvenient.
    Please fix this

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem still exists. Looking at forum posts, this has been two years and running for some people.

• Jeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Files still not opening with double click in explorer, while Illustrator is already opened.

• Nabhishek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anish No for me Problem is still there. Files still not opening with Double click.

• Ryan Johnquest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2019. Bump.

Kind of annoying. Illustrator doesn't open files when double-clicked, but will open them when dragged into the application window.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base