What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

Rotation Handle Tolerance overrides scale and selection functionality while using Wacom.

Hiya. I have an issue with the Selection tool and the rotation handle functionality overriding both scale and shift+selection of other objects while using a Wacom.

Essentially, the rotation functionality tolerance seems to be 2-3 times higher than when using a mouse, which means that I have to zoom in far in order to either scale or select a nearby object.

This behaviour has been in every version of Illustrator since the original Illustrator CC - which behaved flawlessly.

I've also had it occur on 2 different computers with 2 different Wacom devices (Intuous 5 and Cintiq 13HD) and multiple versions of the Mac operating system (Yosemite through to Sierra).

You can see a video of the behaviour attached below.

1. Version of Illustrator: CC2018 (but same occurs in 2017, 2015, 2014)
2. Steps taken: Using the selection tool I attempt to shift+select a nearby object or scale the selected object.
3. Expected Result: Shift-selecting the nearby object or scaling the selected object.
4. Actual Result: The current object goes into rotate mode.

Thanks!
Chris

128 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Phillips shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

72 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • brian stokes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe says, "F*ck you. You're going to keep paying us and you'll take whatever garbage we want to give you."

• erwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not fixed and very annoying!!
    I have to zoom-in every time I want to 'move' or 'scale' an object, Illustrator just want me to rotate... rotate.... rotate... it drives me crazy and ruins my workflow!!

Adobe how long do we have to wait for a fix and keep paying in the meanwhile??

• Rombout Versluijs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its not the selecting Tolerance btw which is causing this, that works just fine. Its the Bounding Box tolerance. Its way to high and is funky. It seems Rotation functionality is priorised above other functions.

• Tom Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto to Anonymous’ remarks! I’ve tried repeatedly to echo this issue. Regarding the replaced settings on new release - HUGE ANNOYANCE. I have setup duplicate settings, shortcut files to re-setup upon installing new releases.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not fixed, I repeat It's not fixed or it's not resolved. Try this yourself and you'll see the issue immediately @Ashutosh Chaturvedi!!!!
    I don't know what passes as Adobe's "bug fix completed" criteria, but one thing I'm frustrated with your CC product is your slow response in general and user un-friendliness around your product. Can I also mention this also: Please stop deleting my custom settings and change shortcut keys every time you release new major updates? It's such a pain.

• Kerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having this problem since the last update with just my regular mouse. I keep rotating an object even though I'm trying to scale or round the edges of a shape. Doesn't seem to happen all the time though, but when it does I need to zoom in really far or switch to the direct selection tool instead of the regular selection tool.

• Tom Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once again, I echo others here and I continue my ongoing complaint re this ignored issue and completely agree with Mat, developers need to consult with and build from actual AI users experience. If the product reduces productivity and there is no one listening, acknowledging or addressing an issue, what is a subscription based service about other than collecting fees?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems this thread is being ignored now... How to get their attention in some other way? I agree, it's debilitating, demoralizing and profoundly unfair to paying users who expect updates to improve, not degrade their software.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base