Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

915 results found

1. extend/enhance package command for multiple files.

As it could be valuable to use the "package" feature to generate an autonomous version of a file with its own linked assets (linked image or lib Assets), it could be interesting to optimize and analyse multiple documents to relink files to a single copy when this file is common to multiple docs.

for Lib Assets it could be interesting to generate a library archive of those assets too, in the case of this "package" operation comes at the end of a project for archiving.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Mixed Ink Swatch like Indesign.

Please add the Mixed Ink swatch like Indesign. This would simplify building files with varnish, white ink, and bump plates.

70 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow to choose file version when saving templates

One of our designers still use old version of AI.
    We need to share newly created templates (.ait) with her.
    But AI doesn't give options when saving templates!
    So I'm forced to save to .ai first, choose CS6 version and then change extension by hand.

Why can't I see same options for templates?

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Moving Artboards and Locked Layers

The latest CC updates' new feature allows locked/hidden layers to move when you move an artboard. This doesn't make sense since locked should mean locked. I am running into problems now because my company uses a lot of artboards to make print-production files, and sometimes you need to re-arrange the artboards while working on the file.
    There should be a way to turn this feature on or off. Such as "keep locked/hidden layers locked when moving/duplicating artboards, or allow locked and hidden elements to move when artboard moves"

77 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

5. Data merge like Indesign

It would be nice if you could have the data merge function like in Indesign so you can import .csv-files.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Using a character other than underscore for appending artboard names when exporting files.

Right now when exporting artboards from an .ai file, illustrator names the file with the original filename and the artboard name, separated by an underscore. I would prefer a dash, as the underscore isn't recognized as a non-word character when double-clicking to select text. Giving the user the able to select the prefix character would solve this problem.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Lock, hide or deactivate artboards

An option to lock, hide or deactivate one or several artboards would improve working with multiple versions of graphics - especially when you you need to return to an earlier ittaration.

When saving to AI-file you have to erase the artbord (with the graphics floating in space) to get rid of the page.

112 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Set default artboard name as file name

Is it possible to have a setting in preferences to set the default artboard name as the file name?

Generally I name all my artboards the "file nameCMYK" or "FilenamePantone" for exporting later and it's just a tedious extra step to have to go in and name EVERY artboard what I've already named the file instead of just tacking on a delineation.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Asset Export - Ability to reorder asset list view and group items

Asset Export - Ability to reorder asset list view:

Love the asset export, but it'd be really useful to click/drag change the order of my asset list in Asset Export panel.

It would also be great to have an option to group by art board. When I have a file of 20+ ad variants as their own individual artboard and want to export assets, it's a pain to keep track of things. It's also too bad that if I make a new asset later in the process, there's no way to group that asset next to the others in the…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Display copies of links' duplicates as instances, like in InDesign

It would be nice if Illustrator's link panel was more link InDesign's in that it collapsed instances of the same linked file into an accordion. The user can then update multiple instances of a file to the same new link or link them individually to separate new links.

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Calligraphic Brush, Blob Brush appearance anomalies at small brush sizes (1 pt and above)

Illustrator 22.1, though this is extant in all versions I'm familiar with (since at least CS5).

When drawing with a calligraphic brush (and thus also with the blob brush) at small sizes, certain tight curves result in anomalous shapes extending out from the expected area covered by the brush. The screenshot attached is around 15mm across. AI file also attached. Expected result is that the brushed area corresponds to the shape of the calligraphic brush along the whole length of the path.

191 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

92 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Overprint simulation on image file exports (JPEG for example)

I think that it would add great value when Illustrator exports to image file the option to add overprint simulation, in the same way as InDesign easily does.
    I would add great benefit to our jobs and would simplify some steps (not going to InDesign just to do that).

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Control of SVG <style> class names on Export

Here is a detailed explanation of my issue:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10234155#10234155

Summary: We should be able to assign/control style classes within the ai file that show up in the svg file.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Drag-and-Drop Swatches to Artboard

This functionality wouldn't change the swatches palette it, but would allow users to drag a swatch to the artboard and drop it. You could tile several to create a tonal family or brand color set.

Being able to scale them larger, arrange them, reformat the grid, turn the white gap off in between colors would improve color adjustment and comparing hues side by side. They'd function like the existing swatches panel in that you could have a shape or stroke selected and apply the color by clicking the swatch on the artboard.

This would help in color exploration and creating…

495 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Remember scaling per file in Save for web

I design for printing and use 'Save for web and devices' to have crisp images.
    E.g. I can have document 300x900mm, and then I export it as 600x1800px and have my snapped sharp lines to stay sharp.
    But 'SfWaD' always immediately renders image at '100%' (which is not 100% at all at Windows — it's an another problem to be discussed), and I get 850x2551.
    When my dimensions are bigger, AI sometimes can't even render an image and I get error message and pink fill in preview area.
    I try to draw ten times smaller whenever is possible to avoid…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add the ability to see recently inserted glyphs.

Please add a way to see recently used glyphs in the glyphs panel. Something similar to the bottom row of Microsoft Office's "insert symbol" panel. It would be nice if there was a toggle to switch between those glyphs most recently inserted with the Illustrator app regardless of which .ai file they were inserted into and all of the glyphs that have been inserted into the current .ai file (ideally regardless of who inserted them to enable better collaboration).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Export Color Codes for all colors in a file

I often have to put together style guides and have to manually (literally by hand) write down each color's codes for CMYK, RGB and HEX from Illustrator down onto a sheet of paper and then type those into the InDesign file for the style guide's color section.

It would be super helpful to be able to export a report for all of the colors used in a file and be able to see the RGB/HEX codes and the CMYK codes for each (depending on what the document color mode is set to)

Example:
    Color 1:
    CMYK 100, 100, 100, 100…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. LessTime saving files

Hello,

as designers we come across slow process saving in a heavy illustrated files (too many vectors) when these vectors are shifted a bit or edit a text, the file needs to be saved again and it wastes a lot of time.

The solution here is using the smart technology (adobe sensei) which it will compare the files and saves accordingly -to check if the text has any amendments, and accordingly takes action in the saving process from within- and this tech to be applied on other elements.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Wrong exported image size (extra pixel added) if artboard coordinates are non-integer

AI 21.1.0 macOS.

In attached AI file there are 1 artboard if you just export it for Screens you will get an image size 105px × 104px, however in AI it's sized as 104x104px.
    Check that X coordinate of artboard is 172.34 px, so it's float. Just change it to 172px and re-publish and image will be 104x104.

So, coordinates of artboard should affect into output png image.

ALso, should be related too:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/20530969-export-for-screens-adds-extra-pixels-at-to-exports

151 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This issue is probably happening because the artboard dimensions are not appropriate for raster export (i.e. are in decimals).
    If you make x and y values as the whole numbers in the transform panel (not in decimal), then the extra pixels will not be added to the exported image.

That is the workaround, and it’s reported that it’s not always the case.

At the same time — Ai knows the size of artboards to be exported and yet it does not deliver the set sizes, which is not fair. The team is going to rethink the algorithm.

20. Retrieving an unsaved file

Enable an option to retrieve a file within a certain time period, that was closed but not saved. This would be useful when a file is closed in error. This happened to me and I lost a days work. Silly error but easily done as I had a swatch box obscuring the file tab and closed it by mistake. Unfortunately because I then tried to reopen the file, the snapshot in the data recovery file was the re opened unsaved version so I had lost all of the previous 4 hours work.
    Therefore, if it was possible that AI could…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base