Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

638 results found

1. Japanese characters in Japanese fonts are misaligned in Vertical Text Alignment

Starting with v24.3, vertical text alignment is now available. This is a great feature we have been waiting for. However, characters in Japanese fonts are misaligned at the center and bottom, as shown in Figure-1.

This is probably due to the fact that the bottom edge of the character is used as the baseline.Maybe we need The Last Baseline option.It's a tough road. But the Illustrator team can make it happen, I am sure of it.

Japanese:
    v24.3より、垂直方向のテキスト配置が利用できるようになりました。これは待ち望んでいた素晴らしい機能です。しかし、日本語フォントの文字は、Figure-1に示すように、中央揃えと下揃えの位置がずれてしまいます。
    これは、文字の下端をベースラインとしていることが原因と思われます。末尾ベースラインオプションが必要かもしれません。大変な道のりです。しかし、Illustratorチームはそれを実現できる、私はそう確信しています。

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I'd like to see the transform values of text be accurate to the text rather than the text box

I'd like to see the transform values of text be accurate to the text rather than the text box. Also so that when I am center aligning text horizontally it will align the actual text and not the text box.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Latest versions of Illustrator have an exact solution for that.

Open Align panel, and enable Align to Glyph Bounds option in the panel’s menu, for point or area text or both.

The bounding box will remain the same, but the text will now align to and by its actual bounds, just like you want.

Please comment back if it works for you.

3. New text alignment icons in the paragraph panel

I would suggest to add new text alignment icons in the Paragraph panel.

It would be useful to have the possibility to align text to the top, the center and the bottom of a text box.

See image to view icons example.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow Aligning Stroke to Inside and Outside of Text

Currently strokes can only be aligned to the center of the edge of text (see red stroke in attached example), it would be very helpful to be able to set strokes to inside and especially outside (bottom/green example) of text while still being able to edit it. This is especially useful when you want to make text standout on a busy background. Thank you!

187 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add an option to make the bottommost object a Key Object

Please add an option to the Align Panel to allow the user to change the default behaviour of "Align to Key Object".

Currently, the default Key Object is the topmost object. However, it's very rare that I don't want the complete opposite – ie. to align an object to its underlying container. If users were able to "Align to Key Object (Bottommost)", it would save an enormous amount of time and effort.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Support SVG text-anchor styling on import

I often copy SVGs that I created with JavaScript (through D3.js) from a browser into Illustrator to continue working on it there. However, the text-anchor setting (left, middle or right aligned) does not come through and it is always left aligned, although the position might seem like it is middle or right aligned. Once you choose a different font or font-size, the mismatch between the original text align and what Illustrator has made of it becomes very apparent and can be quite the chore to adjust.

It would be great if Illustrator would properly handle the text-anchor style setting of…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Chinese text hyphenation alignment for punctuation marks in Illustrator text box

Punctuation marks justified alignment on textbox.

Need to automate the text alignment in the textbox for Chinese characters.

Because it is very time consuming to do manual kerning for each characters reiteratively, whenever there is amendment to the text in the box.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Dropdown menu for alignment to specific artboards

I work with multiple artboards files every day and I constantly use the align tool to align to what I think is the artboard I have highlighted, only for it to jump to a different board. It would be awesome if you could click and hold for a menu to dropdown and then select the artboard to align that item to.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Give aligning options for Text on Path tool.

When using the Text on Path tool, it would be nice to have alignment/distribution options.
    Aligning the first and last letter, center at top or bottom, and fit text around a shape.
    They way it is now, you have to drop guides and align and distribute the text so that it is even.
    It would be wonderful also to use the dropper tool to apply the alignment to new text. For instance, if I have an emblem and need to wrap several different texts around it, then once I have one the way I like I could easily apply that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Alignment options to outside (top, bottom, left, right) of key object

I would really benefit from options to automatically align an object to the outside edge (top/bottom/left/right of its bounding box) of a key object. For example, "Align below" would put the top edge of the bounding box of the repositioned object flush with and below the bottom edge of the bounding box of the key object.

While I can try to achieve the same results by dragging the object around and using smart guides and snapping, that may require a lot of time (and a little luck) when there are several nearby objects that smart guides are being generated from,…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Align to Key Object using Direct Select

Double clicking on an object while having direct selection active does not cause the object to become key object. This is possible only when selection tool is active

Recommendation: allow double clicking to select key object while under direct selection tool

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow to set key object inside compound path

When you isolate a group, you can set any part of selection inside this group as key object just by clicking it with Selection tool. This is great — I can align objects inside group, yay.

But why I can't do the same inside isolated compound path?
    Why can't I align parts of my compound path using another part of same path as a key object, as I can do inside groups?
    Please, fix this.

See attached animation.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Pixel Perfect - alignment with equal distribution e.g. Artboard alignment

When exporting out artwork for app icons, the dimensions have to be precise. 256 x 257 isn't going to work downstream and you have to adjust and export out again - wasting time.

If an art board bounds is not pixel perfect aligned the exported graphics can be one pixel out. So it becomes necessary to align both content and art boards.

One could argue that if an art board has a defined integer dimension, then it should be guaranteed to be exactly that dimension. Which could be a bug.

But why is it necessary to have an art board…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. "Align Artboards to nearest pixel" or "Rearrange selected artboards" to avoid extra pixel on export.

Similar to "Rearrange All artboards" except I don't want them rearranged, I just want them to snap to the nearest whole pixel to avoid the extra pixel when exporting raster assets.

OR

"Rearrange selected artboards only"

I frequently set up documents with with dozens of artboards of various sizes organized and positionally grouped in specific ways. Currently I need to manually set x and y pixel coordinates for each artboard because "rearrange all" destroys the iterative structure of my document.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Better Smart Guides

Can you guys PLEASE make 'Smart Guides' better? For example, I work with product UI/Graphics and I'm always having to zoom in 1400% to clearly align and place objects on top of other objects, but the snapping is NOT GOOD AT ALL... Can you guys make things snap to each other like other programs are able to do so like CAD programs etc...

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Let me change reading direction with the vertical text tool

When using the vertical text tool (which probably was designed for asian scripts) the default textflow is from right to left (as with most asian languages, I guess). It would be need if I could change it to left to right.

Issue has also been discussed here:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/320738

You can find a file of the desired outcome attached

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add an option to allow to snap to and by linked art, a similar one to Snap to Glyphs option

Could it be possible to get some help to align to a graphic imported? Something like "Snap to Glyph"?
    It could help a lot to work precisely, without "embedding" the placed artwork...

Originally by Jean-Michel Le Goff

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Numeric scaling of text box should not scale text inside!

I'm working on keyboard layouts right now, which demand alot of precision - the reason some might argue why I use Illustrator in the first place...

I draw a lot of text boxes so I can use them to mark down the whole space of the key cap. It's just more handy than just a text field where you have to manually align the text to the key cap. >>> Image for reference (text-box-field).

See the other two images (scale-textbox-...):
    The one I scaled by hand, having the expected result: text doesn't change, only size of box changes, automatically aligns…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Tabs panel doesn't work well with multiple-area text

Draw a pair of text areas side-by-side (e.g., a two-page spread). Link them and fill with placeholder text. Open the Tabs panel.

The Tabs panel wants to be the width of both columns if you click the "Position Panel above Text" magnet icon. This probably means that much of it is shooting off-screen in one direction or another, as I would typically zoom in to work with a single column of text at a time.

Go somewhere in the second area and type a line like:
    "foo bar stuff"
    with tabs between the words. My desire is to have the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Convert outline text to editable text

I work with a lot of files that come to me with outline text, which I then have to retype from scratch. It would be a really useful feature if outline text could be converted to editable text - could there be some kind of auto-recognition (OCR) of the outline text and generate editable text from this? Built-in OCR?

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base