Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop)
  2. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Animated Zoom Broken

I have animated zoom enabled on my system, and I've made sure to View using GPU, but animated zoom doesn't work.

Illustrator 23.0.6 64 bit on Windows 10 desktop.

Ryzen 7 2700X
    16 GB DDR4
    GTX 1080

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Vectors rendered too thick on screen

Since the update to 22.1, all vector lines are being rendered too thickly on screen. Compare any lines drawn in AI with how they appear when printed out - they are inaccurately rendered on screen. Illustrator is a vector application, it cannot be displaying vectors with such poor quality on screen.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GPU preview = poor quality in 22.1

Image quality is poor with GPU performance activated in 22.1: lines appear too thick, anchor points are left on screen when they should have cleared, random artifacts appear on screen for no apparent reason. Solution is either deactivated GPU performance (not acceptable) or toggling to CPU preview on every document every single time the document is opened (also not acceptable). Please work on a fix for this before releasing 22.1 to the public.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Flickering cursor & preview bugs in bitmap

Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 (22.0.1)
    Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

The cursor constantly flickers about a month ago when I was still using AI CC 2017 version. After I updated the CC to the latest version yesterday, the problem still occurred.

Besides, when I import a bitmap/ tiff file to AI, the whole image cannot be viewed. Some parts are hidden. It has the same issue when i export the AI file to jpg.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Guidelines disappear while dragging them in GPU Preview

While in GPU Preview every guideline is disappearing when I grab and drag it. As soon as I let it loose it appears. It's very hard to position a guideline accurately if you can't see it.
    In CPU Preview it works, but the overall performance is worse.

Illustrator 25.0
    macOS 10.15.7
    MacBook Pro 2017 (Radeon Pro 560 4 GB, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Cant see object while moving it with selection tool

When Real-Time Drawing and Editing feature is turned ON - Objects wit no fill and no stroke become completely invisible when dragging with the Selection tool.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Refresh problems in Trim View - Illustrator 24.0

I'm not sure this is exclusive to GPU, but in Trim View sometimes when working with content, it stops refreshing properly and causing anomalies on screen

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2019 AI GPU Preview Is Worse Than Before and Buggy

2019 AI GPU Preview Is Worse Than Before and Buggy

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Layers Panel Glitch

After upgrading to Mojave OS on a mac the layers panel glitches or flashes each time I click / draw on an art board or area outside an art board.

It also happens when I manipulate the layers panel in any way, toggling visibility, opening or closing layer groups or any other operation.

This flashing is irritating and takes my eye from the work.

Attempted fixes

Resetting preferences
    Adjusting GPU performance
    Turning of animated zoom
    Uninstalling illustrator
    Updating everything

Illustrator Version 22.1
    MacOs Mojave 10.14

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. GPU Preview displaying hidden shapes

In GPU Preview, turning off the visibility of a shape in the layers panel doesn't always hide the shape - it still remains on screen.
    If I switch to Outline view the shape is hidden correctly.
    If I switch back to GPU Preview the shape is still being displayed.
    I have to reboot Illustrator to get GPU Preview to work correctly again.
    And then it goes wrong again very soon afterwards.

This has now happened several times.
    I've also had shape fills showing as incorrect colors in GPU Preview, eg. a square with a white fill, suddenly started displaying as…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Scroll zoom not working

When I zoom in using alt + scroll down, the canvas jitters; it zooms out then in.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Zoom to Selection Doesn't Work within Text

When I zoom in on Illustrator CC (21.1.0) it works great, zooming in on the object I have selected. The problem occurs when I have a bit of text within a larger textbox selected. When I zoom in, instead of centering around the object, it zooms in on the center of my screen, often putting the selected type out of sight.

(If I have the textbox itself selected, it's fine. It's just if I'm using the type tool to select and edit type.)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Jagged Edges on Vector objects

I've tried just about everything I can think of, but no matter what I do my vector objects are showing jagged edges, almost like I've used a brush preset, but I haven't. It's extremely distracting, please help!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Can't Finish Previewing AI 25.0

I get the "Cannot Finish Previewing. Could Not Complete The Requested Operation" pop-up message and my view goes to Outline Mode when I use the Pencil Tool with a Gradient Fill. I need to save & close the file, reopen it in Outline Mode and then select GPU Preview to see the accurate preview again. Happens every time. I can turn fills off in the Pencil prefs, but that sort of defeats the purpose. Driving me nuts! Please advise.

On mac mini with 64GB w/ a Raedon RX 580 8GB eGPU

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. New Illustrator 2020 laggy and slow on the simplest of tasks

Illustrator 2020 is really laggy and slow, only when completing simple tasks like colour picking, moving art-boards, selecting different objects, or even just wanting to zoom in or out.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

General slowness on using Illustrator on Mac is one of the major issues reported in this thread. Illustrator team made significant progress in replacing Illustrator’s GPU rendering engine from OpenGL to macOS Native Metal Rendering Engine – https://developer.apple.com/metal/.
    We have observed common operations like Zoom, Pan, and rendering operations are now smoother in cases where it was sluggish as reported in this thread. We urge Mac users to try the Illustrator Beta build with Metal support and share your feedback.
    Please note, this may not address other performance issues reported in this thread not related to rendering like File Save, Export, or slowness in any particular feature.

This build is available in Illustrator Prerelease Download Section – https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/85A6F544-2705-49BD-8314-DD549C6A1713

18. Separations preview imac 5k very slow

There is some problem with Overprint preview turned on, everything becomes verry laggy. I'm on iMac 2019 27" with 40gb of RAM, SSD drive, no plugins. No matter which document is opened, the problem is same - very slow illustrator movement.

Only sollution is to run Illustrator in Low Resolution mode, then the problem does not exist.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Illustrator Crashes on external monitor

When I try to create a new page or open a file on my external monitor illustrator crashes. im using windows 10 latest version and latest illustrator.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base