Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

866 results found

1. Is it possible to change the files inside number in running order on each file in a folder with an action?

Is it possible to change the files inside number in running order on each file in a folder with an action?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Actions  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Larger preview images in .ai files

When an .ai file is saved, an image of all the active artboards is saved in the file. The OS (Mac or PC) uses this to provide a PREVIEW of the contents of the .ai file.

(a) This preview is terribly small, and displays as a small thumbnail instead of a useful image of the file contents. It appears to be a tiny bitmap, but it's so small it doesn't do much good at revealing what's in the file.

(b) The preview also displays everything visible on the pasteboard, including graphics that is not on any artboard. Since the preview…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Preference setting for a common "root" folder for add-on files

It would be great if the Illustrator Preferences had a way to specify a central root folder for the location of (and default save location) for add-ons, such as Brushes, Graphic styles, Swatches Templates, and others. (Similar to the existing "Additional Plug-ins Folder" setting).

Illustrator currently seems to have very scatterbrained way of handling files, which I am sure there is some history or reason for, depending on the team that happened to develop that section of code.

Examples:

If you save Brush, Symbol, Graphic Styles, ..., libraries, when it defaults to want to save under a long winding…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. "[Paper]" or "[Transparent]" Swatch

Add a "Paper" (or "Transparent") Swatch to the swatches like the one in InDesign that, like [None] or [Registration] cannot be removed.

Adding this would make it FAR easier to knock out parts of complex artwork WITHOUT forcing the user to destroy the layer structure of their files.

In the attached image, for instance, I wanted to have rounded corners on the bottom of a header graphic, and this meant I need to use a clipping mask, which requires all the elements it contains to be on the same layer. While there are workarounds, such as placing AI files

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I cannot correctly open the same files that were made a couple of days ago

I cannot correctly open the same files that were made a couple of days ago.
    When opening, a window appears: the file was made in a NEWER version. Import this file? Part of the data may be lost

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make units and grid settings to be bound to file

I work for screen and print media simultaneously in different files
    I work in metric units.
    I need to have 'mm' for general-stroke-type in design for printing and 'px' in other file for screen.
    I'm so tired to change units every time I Ctrl+Tab between them. By hand, every time!
    Ctrl+Shift+U change only general units, and I have to skip all picas-inches I never use.
    I have to Ctrl+K, click Units and drop down three menus every time I need to see units I need in file I need!
    PostScript is cool, point reassigned as a strict fraction of an…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. relink pdf file in illustrator

i working with pdf files and placeing pages into artboards.
    my problem is when i want to relink multiple placed page to one page, i have to repeat Relink...

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Set export options to default to the same folder the native is housed in

Set default export or save as locations to start in the same folder as the native Ai file as opposed to previous locations. It can be rather cumbersome when switching to an entirely new project, then exporting that project and having the 'save as' default to the entirely other project's recent save.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Export Multiple Artboards in DXF format

I'd love to be able to export multiple artboards to DXF files

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. CreativeCloud history backup for lost files.

What if we have a Cloud history for any step we make in Adobe products to backup if we lost the file or don't save in accident? like Time Machine. I want to revive lost updates that I didn't save.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Custom layer colors, layer 5 yellow is killing me

Can i please change the default layer colors so that layer 5 is not always yellow? I set up files all day long and yellow on white is ******* the eyes, would love to be able to set a default layer color for the first 5 or six new layers. Thank you.

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. The color yellow has been removed altogether as a layer color, and has been replaced by Magenta color for Layer 5. This functionality is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

What’s new in 24.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

12. Support Layered TIFF Files

Why cant I open a layered TIFF File in illustrator without first converting and loosing content in the process to a PSD they are very similar with a TIFF file actually being a preferable option for a lot of work for a lot of years it is disappointing you need 3 different versions of an ADOBE product to produce one piece of work? Does anyone have a work around for this I have read conflicting reports with nothing I have tried currently working!! HELP

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fully support the SVG standard

Illustrator can not read every SVG file. Some it doesn't read at all, some are imported only halfway or just completely messed up. There are issues with <use>, especially when used in herarchies. e.g. this file: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europaflagge#/media/File:Flag_of_Europe.svg There are issues with groups and masks and there are issues when units are missing e.g. from stroke widths. Also: SVG can have several attributes which Illustrator will delete when opening. Fully supporting the standard will enable people to have a workflow based on SVG files.

149 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Started  ·  Dirk Schulze responded

Just a general status update. We are currently and will continuously improve SVG import support in Adobe Illustrator. We are currently working on solving the issues mentioned in this report. Please feel free to open new bug reports here on uservoice if you are experiencing additional/untracked issues.

14. An ability to control the assumed resolution for placed PNG files

Raster images brought into Illustrator always seem to appear at 72 ppi, and are scaled too large relative to an artboard with 300 ppi raster effects. There is no way to set images to appear at the desired resolution, instead requiring you to manually adjust their size with the transform tools.

A 300 pixel wide PNG appears on the artboard scaled 4.17 inches/105.8 mm wide. It's too big and blurry if you print it. You have to down-size it manually with the transform tools... awkward.

The desired behaviour is for raster images to appear scaled on the artboard at an…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide an option for making artboard names / numbers visible on the artboard (like when editing artboards)

Provide an option in Adobe Illustrator to show artboard names and/or numbers on the artboard / on top of the artboard (like when editing artboards). This visible naming would greatly help to keep artboards organized in large, multiple artboard files. This would be so helpful!

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fix the "Restore" AI Window Size when opening an AI file from File Explorer

What we want is simple, make it so that opening an AI file from File Explorer does not change if AI is in windowed mode, or fullscreen mode.

This has been an issue for years that disrupts the workflow of users on a regular basis. Here is an old forum thread going back as far as June 2012 further detailing this ongoing issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1026020

When opening an AI file from File Explorer, Illustrator automatically Restores down to a window from Maximized mode. While the work-around, (of extending edges of Illustrator's window from edge-to-edge of the desired monitor), minimizes the impact…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. .ait Files not showing.

I dont know if this is the bug reporting area or not. However when i Create a ait file it will not allow me to open the original and it does not show up in the CC Library's when i upload it to CC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Advanced Rename Tools for Artboards with Find & Replace

Would love to have a feature that allows a mass-rename feature to artboards the same way you can rename files in Mac OS: Add Text, Replace Text, Format. As a designer who exports many artboards for the web and is constantly renaming file version numbers for easy export - this would be a dream!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Convert outline text to editable text

I work with a lot of files that come to me with outline text, which I then have to retype from scratch. It would be a really useful feature if outline text could be converted to editable text - could there be some kind of auto-recognition (OCR) of the outline text and generate editable text from this? Built-in OCR?

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Exporting files - range settings resetting for different file types

Is it possible for the page 'range' to reset when exporting different file types? It's really frustrating when I've been exporting a few single pages to jpeg for example, and then when exporting a PDF of the document it retains the page range. It's a small issue, but is pretty annoying!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 43 44
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base