Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7470 results found

1. Scripting: move selection to layer doesn't work if layer is not visible

When moving selected elements to a layer, if that layer's visibility is set to false, it reports that it cannot move elements to a locked layer. However, it's not locked, it's just not visible. I do this all the time by physically dragging to a layer that is not currently visible. I was able to work around it by setting visibility to true, moving the elements, then making it false again, but it seems like a bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Icon enlarge for no reason

This has been a little bit of a problem. I have latest version of Adobe Illustrator version 24.1.2 running macOS Catalina 10.15.4. It a little annoying and I thought the next update would have solve the issue but it did not. Here is a bug that is strange. Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Saving recovered file causes Adobe Illustrator 2020 to quit

Illustrator unexpectedly quit which created some recovered files upon the reopening of the application. When trying to save this file, Illustrator quit again. This keeps happening and I am unable to continue with my work.

I tried updating Illustrator however the same issue is happening.

Operating system: mac catalina 10.15.3
    Adobe Illustrator version 24.1.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Common Dialog Boxes lag: saves each step from Dialog Box

– MacOS Mojave 10.14.1
    – AI 24.1.2

The problem appears in ALL dialog boxes in Illustrator: from transforming to changing colours.

For example I want to move my object 10px to the left. I open the Dialog Box, all the Positions are 0, Preview is on. I enter 10px, the object moves to 10 px. But, for example, that isn't enough for my artwork, and i'm entering then 12px instead of 10px, in the same dialog box.

And then the "magic" happens.

Let's say the original position of the object is 0. When I enter 10px, the position changes also…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. "show images in outline mode" doesn't work (Document Setup)

Image doesn't show when option is on. It used to a while ago...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This option only works when you are viewing your documents as outline using CPU mode only, not GPU. While this is a known problem, voting for this issue is important for the team to estimate the importance of this limitation.

6. SVG bug with "use" element

Steps to reproduce
    1. Open IllustratorBug.svg in Adobe Illustrator
    2. Open the same file in Chrome or Firefox browser
    Result: Illustrator displays the image incorrectly. See the attached files.

Illustrator version 24.1.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. OS X 10.5.3 Illustrator loads up every time, with half my palettes off the screen. I can't access them or bring them back

OS X 10.5.3 Illustrator constantly loads up with half my palettes off the screen. I can't access them or bring them back. This makes Illustrator pretty unsuable

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Escape Button and Arrow Keys not working with latest Illustrator 2020

This was a previous bug that seems to be resurrected: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/35763892-escape-key-and-arrows-not-working-with-illustrator

Escape and arrow keys randomly stop working. If I close the application and restart it sometimes solves the issue, but I'd really like to not have to close everything down and start it all back up again every time it stops working 5 - 10 min into editing a document. :(

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Stop Illustrator from increasing file size by 400% when exporting artwork in 300ppi resolution

Illustrator currently increases the size of a file by 400% when using the "Export As" option and choosing to save at 300ppi resolution instead of 72ppi resolution. We tried several times exporting as PNG for an Artboard that was 5000px wide but the program saved the file at 20000px wide because we chose to save at 300ppi resolution. We contacted support and they stated that this was a "feature" of the application and cannot be changed.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ofset path bug in 24.1 version - horrible metric precision...

Problem with dimensions after using offset path. Just look - if you have square 100 x 100 mm, and want to make -4 mm offset path - new square is not 92 x 92mm, but... 92.0001 x 92.0001. This is nightmare. See attached. Adobe, I hope this bug will be fixed?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. CC Library Legacy Warning

Operating System: Windows 10
    Illustrator Version: 24.1.1

I am trying to add a CMYK graphic to CC Library. When I do, I receive the warning:

"Saving to a legacy format may cause some changes to your text layout and disable some editing features when the document is read back in."

Resetting my preferences did not help. I checked for Adobe updates, but Creative Cloud doesn't indicate there are any available. If I add it as an RGB graphic, I do not get the error. But I need the CMYK version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. BUG: Envelope Distort (with Anti Alias option on) changes colour values of embedded images.

When trying to use Envelope Distort (eg Mesh) and the 'Anti Alias' option to maintain clarity, if the artwork features embedded images (eg a multichannel PSD that must be embedded for Envelope Distort action) it is clearly seen the results with and with AA active are different. Only without use of AA will the colour values remain faithful to the original pre-distorted image.

Whilst I would expect some changes along edges, etc. that would benefit the most from using AA, it is seen across the entire image. This is not correct and renders the Envelope Distort function unusable for these…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Exporting to PNG with smaller dimensions than artboard creates blurry edges

If you have an artboard, let say sized at 160x160px, and export down to 1/10th the size (e.g., 16x16px) the export will be blurred on both the Y and X-axis in Illustrator version 24.

I have attempted to uninstall Adobe (both with and without my preferences), I have attempted to change the the PPI/DPI settings as well. Nothing seemed to fix this.

The only workaround I can find currently is to reinstall version 23, which will soon be removed from the creative cloud.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fonts are not refreshed when right sided metrics are changed

This issue happens in the context of editing the metrics of a font file multiple times (in order to view new metrics changes in realtime).

Fonts will not always be refreshed to the latest version when overwriting a font file in the Adobe Fonts folder with a new updated version:

• When a right sidebearing of a glyph is changed and the font regenerated, the font is NOT updated in Illustrator.

• Whereas editing a left side bearing and regenerating the font will show the updated font with all edited metrics (both the new left & right sidebearings).

Issue happens in all…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. Could you kindly provide the following information to help us nail this down.

1) Kindly share both version of fonts at ShareWithAI@adobe.com .
    2) Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail with tag [UserVoice] and Uservoice link in subject of email.

Regards
    Ankit Goyal

15. Can’t save Graphic Styles

I absolutely cannot save graphic styles I have created for the graphic styles library. The icon is blank and I cannot find any information for fixing this. I have looked at all the tutorials but this issue is not addressed. It is NOT WORKING!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Illustrator loses links to artwork that is renamed in library

When I rename a graphic I am reusing throughout my file, all links to that graphic are lost and when I try to copy layers containing those linked graphics, Illustrator reports the following errors:
    - "the document contains pdf objects that have been reinterpreted"
    - "an unknown imaging construct"
    - "an unknown shading type"

If I have many instances of that artwork in multiple layers, it takes a lot of time to have to find every single instance, delete it, drag the renamed graphic in, move it to the correct layer, resize and rotate, and reapply the styles I had…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Missing Text on Menus?

I'm working on a 21.5 inch late 2015 image, 2.8 with 8GB using Mojave. I'm not quite sure what steps are happening and if there is a hardware issue on my side, but when I use Illustrator, there is an intermittent bug that seems to happen. Here's how it goes:

Using Illustrator, usually the pen tool.
    The spinning beach ball pops up.
    The screen freezes for a few seconds.
    When it pops back into play, none of the menus have text. Literally, NONE, even those outside of Illustrator (Chrome, the Apple drop downs to restart/shut down)

Is it just destroying…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Everytime creative cloud app is required to reactivate the fonts

I activated 2 new fonts from adobe fonts website and it worked well.
    After that I closed Ai and next day when I opened Ai again then it's showing missing fonts and there is no way to activate them from Ai.
    I have to start creative cloud app always to reactivate these fonts. This is very annoying and killing a lot of time. Also it takes ages to start creative cloud app even on fast internet connection. This also needs improvement.
    Once the fonts are activated - isn't that installed locally on my machine? Why every time it needs to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Window not showing

From the Finder (MacOS X 10.15.4), I open a n illustrator Document. The app comes forward and I see a black screen. The "Window" menu tells me that the document is open BUT where? I don't see it (nope, I don't have a second monitor). Clowe the invisible window and the Window menu shows nothing open. Try again, from the finder and again, no windows look opened. Try from Illustrator, File/Open: same thing, another fail. Quit app, relaunch app by launching doc from the Finder. now the file opens as it should. Close file, try again. Back to the black…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Updated UI has some issues - Tired of Updating - Tired of Bugs

Happy that Adobe continues to try to update the products. That being said I'm a little worn. I constantly get notifications from Adobe Creative Cloud App about updates and there seems to be some issues. Still working out of a previous version of InDesign for numerous reasons. Weirdly found all of my Creative Cloud docs (of which there's not too many luckily) in the trash can this AM. I was able to recover a heart skip and waste of time later. Additionally the Illustrator Update... Well... Just looks sloppy. Help me, help you... And give us a good products with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base