Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• or

753 results found

1. Fix Tabbing in Transform Palette

Fix tabbing through the Transform palette so when keying-in numbers and tabbing through, the numbers don’t randomly change (this is a bug).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Importing a page from a multi-page PDF replaces the already imported one

Hi!

Ever since Illustrator 23 when opening a PDF with multiple pages with a document already open, the PDF opens into that open document and changes the artboard. At the same time it also opens a new empty document with the name of the PDF. It does not matter if I use open from the menu or if I use drag and drop... When no other file is open it behaves like it should and opens the PDF correctly.

Please provide a solution...

thanks,

best regards,

Roger

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Breaking link of scaled Symbol with "Scale strokes and effects" off will scale Symbol appearance back to original.

Illustrator CC 2018
    Windows 10

I have put a Symbol on my Artboard, and scaled it to 50% of its original size.
    I want to break its link, and maintain its proportional appearance (i.e. stroke width half of original).
    If "Scale strokes and effects" is off, stroke sizes are doubled (back to original value). You have to tick it on for it to work as expected.

Is this a bug or a feature?

In the attached image, to the left is the Symbol (at 50% scale) broken with tick on, to the right off.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Symbols  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. BRING BACK FUNCTIONALITY OF ACTIONS

As we all know all too well, the "engineering team" adds to and removes features from AI, apparently completely without considering its effective use or convenience.

Their latest trick: many operations won't record automatically anymore in Actions going from v23 to v24. Please bring that back.

Functions not recorded anymore so far:

– Create text frame
    – Cmd/ctrl-0 Fit Artboard in Window
    – Save As (including location, file type eg PDF and its settings)
    – Close

I you find more please add them to the list.

I'm getting so tired of this ignorant behaviour!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Transparent PNG linked into AI drawing

I've exported transparent PNG's from Photoshop, and I'm trying to work on an Illustrator drawing with them, so I can eventually put them into my InDesign doc. So, I link in a PNG to Illustrator and it decides to read it as though it has a white background. So, naturally, I don't realize this because I'm working on a white artboard until I get into InDesign and the art is blocking the master, leaving me to go back into all my illustrator files to replace a linked file with embedded artwork. What's the point of linking a file if it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. GPU support crashes reproducibly on different Macs (Mac OS 10.3 + Ai 25.x)

The hole GPU support with Illustrator 2021 is broken on the Mac with Big Sur since the release of CC 2021 (Mac OS 10.3 + Ai 25.2.3). GPU support works with a blank document. The GPU support crashes reproducibly: switch on rulers > GPU crashes, open document with guides > GPU crashes, double click on grouped elements > GPU crashes, resize artboard > GPU crashes. Several upates went by without help. Every (!) colleague I have spoken to has struggles with the same bug since the release of Ai 2021. Both of my Macs (iMac i9 with Vega48 & M1…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Align/Distribute issue (v.24.2.3)

Hello,
    I've seen that this is claimed that it is fixed on a previous update, but I have the latest (24..2.3) and still have issues.

Situation:
    4 text layers in a 2nd level subgroup
    Selection of three out of four layers and the Align/Distribute is working as expected (align to Selection selected)
    Selection of all four layers (or group layer) and the Tool isn't working on 'Align to Selection' basis. It's working correctly as 'Align to Artboard'

How am I supposed to align all layers in a Group? The only workaround is to align all layers but one and then…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Will deselect anything that is not visible

Since the last update if you have a long file and want to select a big chink of it everything has to be visible while selecting. Otherwise, if I start dragging from the middle let's say and have to scroll until I get till the end of the document/artboard, everything that went off screen get deselected and I'm only left with the last chunk of content that is visible. Slows down a lot working on web designs when you have to move a big chunk of content around because you've changed something before it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. ILLUSTRATOR IS BROKEN GARBAGE

First of all this bug reporting website is horendious, and I expect nothing less from Adobe who make products that should put them out of business.
    Right now in Illustrator 2019 I cannot change the size of a font without stroke appearing on the text, if I turn the stroke off, the font shrinks in size again, now I'm here wasting my precious time typing out the stupidest problem imaginable. Another thing, I have absolutely no idea why when i click the type tool to the artboard there is text that appears automatically... is the paradigm of a blinking cursor…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. pattern swatches using raster artwork creating glitch

I am using a mac studio, M1 Max chip, Ventura 13.1, and Illustrator 27.1.1. Issue occurs when using GPU view.

I use pattern swatches extensively in my work to create a digital foil effect. My pattern swatches are made from raster images placed into Illustrator. I have been using this for years with no problem and am only experiencing this problem since upgrading my computer and my software.

When I move artwork that uses the pattern swatches, splotches of my pattern appear in my document, sometimes even on my artboard covering my artwork.

This directly interferes with my workflow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Prefix in graphs

Using a prefix for the axis in a graph works fine, but only with positive numbers. Negative numbers soon get into trouble however. $-50 is not helpful at all.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Tool window won't update content when clicking on a different tab

This bugs seems to come on after a while of everything working normally.

I have multiple windows (e.g. 3 - Character/Paragraph/Open type) grouped together on one panel. When I click on an unfocussed tab to bring that to the front, nothing changes. The content below remains the same.

For example if 'Character' was in focus, and I wanted to access 'Paragraph' options. If I click on the 'Paragraph' tab, I still see the 'Character' options.

See video.

This is also happening with the document tabs too. I click between my open documents and nothing changes on the artboard below.

I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. clipping mask bugs...

I'm currently using a latest CC version Ai and i encounter a problem/bug. When i create a clipping mask on a multiple objects for a final file. For example: An A4 artboard, i just did a last step clipping mask into A4 size and save it. Then i close the file. when i reopen the same file, my multiple objects all becoming a flatten object?? (Can't be select separately). This issue really give me a heart attack.

It happened on my vector artwork and image combined vector file twice so far. Which i not dare to use clipping mask recently.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Previous tool continues after selecting new tool

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that when I switch tools sometimes the characteristics of the previous tool continue rather than it switching to the new tool (but it shows the new tool selected in the Toolbar.

So, for example, if I'm using the Selection Tool and then click on the Direct Selection Tool it shows in the Toolbar that I have the Direct Selection Tool activated and the cursor is the Direct Selection Tool one but the tool behaves like the Selection Tool (i.e. I can't select individual points).

Saving the file seems to fix the issue and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Trim View (2019) is rendering properly in GPU view when adding from libraries

Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator: Windows 10 Insider Build 18312. Illustrator 23.0.1
    The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues: When working in Trim View in GPU view, when I add assets from the Libraries panel and move them onto the artboard, my background raster image gets black blocks/rendering issue. If I zoom in and out it goes away until I move the top object again. If I switch to CPU view the issue goes away.

[Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video
    What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Cannot view New Files

• Using MacOSX 10.15.5 (19F101), Newest version of Illustrator CC
    • Open existing file file, create new file
    • EXPECTED: A new file gets created and I can see the artboard and work within the file
    • ACTUAL: A new tab opens with "Untitled" but cannot toggle to the new tab, and when attempting to break the new document out of tabs and input any objects (text, shapes, lines, or paste) into the "New" document, it creates/pastes into the first document opened, not the New one I created. Cannot manipulate any "New" document in any capacity with Illustrator, Photoshop, or Indesign (only ones I've…
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Units preference not retained on asset panel export

Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator
    Current version of CC on a Microsoft Surface windows 10 pro

The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues:
    It's in both the asset export panel and the export artboard panel. My global preferences are set to inches as well as the originating document.

I'm often creating elements then exporting various bits as assets. So the asset export panel is handy for this. I could just copy and past into a new document and "save as pdf". It's just a smoother flow for my brain to use the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Text element with multiple paragraph styles & colors turns white when adding used colors

I have a text element with two paragraphs and have assigned a style to each paragraph. One paragraph style is a different color, for emphasis.

When I go to Swatches (palette) > Add Used Colors, all of the text turns white (invisible against a white artboard) and a swatch named "K=0" is added to the swatches palette. This can be avoided by setting all Paragraph Styles to black or no color and using Character Styles to apply color, but that's not really how the styles are supposed to work.

If the paragraph and character styles ever are fully functional in

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Illustrator 24.1 can't place AI files created in the same version WIN 10

Illustrator 24.1 can't place AI files. It seams to only affect AI files created in version 24.1.

When attempting to link the AI, illustrator does not generate any preview of the file. It allows the user to follow the placing process but no content is shown when placed on the artboard and also it does not honor the linked file dimensions.
    After hitting the "cancel" button on the import tool an error message appears stating Illustrator could not read the ai file.

The same file can be linked successfully when saved as a PDF.
    The files to be linked sit…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. clipboard copy bug

I have iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), the latest OS BigSur 11.2, memory 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, video card Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. The latest regularly updated version of Illustrator (25.1) and since last year or some I noticed that once in a while there were problems with clipboard memory. Whenever you copy or just select some object on artboard, immediately you get a garbled text box pasted. Very nasty, and after the latest update it has gotten considerably worse. Now I literally cannot simultaneously select several objects without having this garbled block pasted. So I cannot align…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base