Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

204 results found

1. Import all pages at once from PDF file (that doesn't have illustrator embeded)

I'm working at prepress for 20 years.. and verrrry often i need to open PDF files to correct some mistakes on many pages.. (like add bleed, or move all elements away from edges...

it would be cool if illustrator would allow to open all pages at once for multipage PDF files..

Ok, i know that i can edit page by page... or i can open one page, than save as with different name AI file, than open all other pages and copy content to that first saved AI document... but thats not cool for 8 page brochure..

thank you

176 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

2. Colours in Diagramms adjust to numbers

It would be cool that if I create a pie chart that I can name a "master colour" and Illustrator automatically adjust the colour transparency in percent. Or if I could say these are my colors, combine them in a smart way so that a bar chart gets a smart gradient
    Thanks guys,
    Fran

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Vector Halftones Effect (within AI and without third-party plugins)

I would like AI to integrate a feature that can convert raster images and/or vector elements (gradients, sketches, shapes, anything..) into a perfectly shaped round dots Halftones Effect.

As a matter of fact, it is already possibile to get something similar by applying the raster halftones Effect to the element and then Live Tracing it. But the result is something uneven made of irregular circles or shape. So it is not a precise function to take into consideration.

The effect should be achieved without any third-party plugins or anything which is not already included in the full AI software release…

191 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Clear / Delete from Recent files

As you know, Illustrator keeps exported images in the File > Open Recent Files list.
    So if I export 20 TIFs from a single document — they will all will be listed there.

This is dumb, and there are multiple requests to stop this:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests?query=recent%20files

There are also requests to be able to clear that list (guess why there is a need for this).

But we should also be able to remove positions from the list one by one.
    Use cases:
    1. I renamed a file and now I can’t open it via this menu
    2. I moved the file…

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Eyedropper needs to sample the flattened color, not the object that I click on

Many many times, when I use the eyedropper, I wish that it was sample the actual color of what I am seeing on the screen, rather than whatever the top object is that I have clicked on. For example I might have a number of layers of transparency, or I might want to click a particular value in a gradient, but the result only gives me the color of the object that I clicked on. Is there a way that you could hold down a modifier key and the eyedropper would instead select the color of the displayed pixel that…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Asset Export - Ability to reorder asset list view and group items

Asset Export - Ability to reorder asset list view:

Love the asset export, but it'd be really useful to click/drag change the order of my asset list in Asset Export panel.

It would also be great to have an option to group by art board. When I have a file of 20+ ad variants as their own individual artboard and want to export assets, it's a pain to keep track of things. It's also too bad that if I make a new asset later in the process, there's no way to group that asset next to the others in the…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Incorporate a shortcut inside gradient's panel

I would like to suggest to incorporate the shortcut D for "reset" the 2 initial colors inside the gradient's panel to system standard colors (black and white). I usually use as a last step before finishing my artworks some shadows for a more realistic depth/aspect using black-to-white together with multiply. The D shortcut reset the main stroke and fill colors main swatches, so it would be a little bit faster if the software understands the D as this way while it's working on gradient's setup windows.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. GPU performance is not working properly

GPU performance should improve efficiency when drawing complex objects, but the behavior has been delayed since CC 2018 (version 22).

The file created in CC 2015.3 (version 20) is test sample.
    If you select a created object and move it with the mouse, the result will be completely different.

2015.3 / 2017: Drawing delay does not occur when GPU performance is ON
    2018 / 2019 / 2020: GPU performance ON causes drawing delay, OFF is faster

The confirmed environment is Windows 10 1909 + Intel Core i7-6700HQ + GeForce GTX 950M.
    In addition, although it is another data, the delay…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add numerical control over light sources in 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect Options

When applying and tweaking 3D Extrude & Bevel Effect, user has to manipulate light by precise mouse twitching over the small sphere.
    It should be at least twice as big to provide fine control (I won't note this as separate request), but there should also be numerical fields to control the lights' position over sphere — angle, elevation, choose any.

Also, why Depth and Height values there are immune to document Units settings? 56.96pt is nonsense to me, while 20mm makes sense.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. New artboard adjustable spacing

When the New Artboard button in Control panel is clicked, an artboard is created next to the current one. The spacing between these is not tweakable.

I work in metric units, on 10×10 millimeters grid. The space between artboards’ edges is 7.056mm. Yeah, I know, it’s 20 points, sure, but why should I care about points when units are millimeters? Why can’t I use a value that makes sense to me?

Furthermore, it is dangerously close to 7 and looks like an integer until you check it.

Please, allow to set a spacing manually in Artboard Options or elsewhere —…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add ability to use fractional values for resolution everywhere

AI is used worldwide. Despite PostScript, based on points, based on inch, being de-facto a standard for most users, many people use metric system.

English inch, as you know, equals exactly 2.54cm.
    This gives us, metric users, mantra for translating PPI into PPCM: 254ppi=100ppcm

But if we need lower value, such as 10 or 20 or 30 ppcm (working in scale with huge designs, such as ad bus wraps), we can't use it, because AI doesn't allow to enter fractional values anywhere inside! We can't use 50.8, 25.4, 76.2, Ai would round it to 51, 25, 76.
    This will give…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. No ability to add Hex code in Swatch colours

I don't understand why this has not yet been implemented in the 30 years Illustrator is active. What could've taken me 2 minutes to do, took me 10 minutes, and had to go the long way around of opening Colour Options, try to memorise the RGB values, and then go back into Swatch Options, and then add in the values.

Please can you add the Hex Code field in the Swatch Colour options, so that we can just paste the code to get the RGB values? And also let those updated swatches automatically update the gradients that are applied to…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Selected artboard border indication border color & width

Selected artboard border indication border color & width

When managing multiple artboards 20+
    Its hard to know wich one is selected.
    I use this for copy / paste elements when working on google banners or ad sets.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Eyedropper shortcut

If I have a box with a gradient stroke (as an example) and I want to then fill it, if I use the eyedropper to grab the color from another object, it overrides and deletes the stoke. I would like to be able to use the eyedropper on fill or stroke without deleting it's counterpart. Right now it's a long process of clicking off my shape, eyedropping the color, copying the color value, reselecting the object, double clicking the fill or stroke, and pasting in the value. It adds up to a lot of time lost for something that should…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To make Eyedropper pick and apply only fill, without modifying the stroke, you need to open the tool’s options, and uncheck the ‘Focal Stroke’ option in the left column. This will force Illustrator to ignore the stroke from the source object, and your target object will keep its original stroke.

Use other options there to fine tune the tool to your needs.

There is a similar resolved request that is about the same thing — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/38241262

15. Be able to create a finished vector repeat tile from Pattern Editing Mode.

Currently, the only way for a designer to get a final tile from a repeat pattern created in pattern mode is a clunky workaround involving dragging the fill swatch art from the swatches panel to the artboard and then working with the bounding shape to create a cropped, repeatable tile for export. We need a button to click inside pattern mode that creates a tile from the artwork inside pattern mode that is perfectly cropped (could be a clipping mask) but will retain all the live content that typically gets expanded when you exit pattern mode. This option should allow…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Stop with the survey

Please stop making the **** survey strip popup. I think I’ve had to close it at least 20 times over the past three months. It really irks me and makes me a little upset every time - it is really distracting.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. ADD "Relink to Folder..." to the Links panel as in InDesign

We have long kept an asset folder named The__PIT that has 1 copy of every file that has ever made it through Production so that if we bring up an InDesign IDML or INDD from any time in our history, ALL links are immediately restored using "Relink to Folder...". We need this same functionality with Illustrator. I understand that InDesign is a data based software and Illustrator is not. I also see that Illustrator does retain the file name though (which, as is noted in many other similar requests, does nothing as far as selecting a match within a CC…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Intertwine needs a better way to display order operations rather than hiding them in a context menus

It’s not clear we can chose methods other than 'swap order' for cases when a freshly created intertwine zone has several possible solutions. Illustrator draws and edge around the current zone (quite poorly signaled, which is a different topic: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45845602-make-intertwine-edit-mode-telegraphed-better), but then a single left-click just swaps and immediately ends editing the zone.

The fact we can click on the highlighted segment with a right mouse button and choose an order is not very obvious... because — let’s admit it — Illustrator can’t do context menus very well and we are not used to have anything really 'contextual' in…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. New Free Distort effect interface

We really need a global, accurate transform and distort window in the application. It needs more detail, the ability to recall the last applied action and interaction with bitmaps. This is a feature people have been asking for nearly 20 years - I've even designed it for you! Can you build it now?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Smart/Adaptive Cross-Colorspace Swatches

It's industry standard to define brand colors in more than one colorspace. Usually you have at least PMS, CMYK and RGB definitions of each brand color you're deploying.

I'd love it if Illustrator (or the whole CC suite, as a matter of fact) would help this routine, like this:

Let's have a new swatch type: Cross-Colorspace Swatch. This special swatch type would enable the designer to define variations of the color in any/all color spaces, inside that one swatch definition.

Instead of defining say three different swatches, you would define one, saying: "This is Brand color 1. In cmyk colorspace…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base