Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7504 results found

1. export directory

"Export as" exports to the parent directory, rather than the selected directory. This appears to happen more often if the target directory is created from within the dialogue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Transform Each object in an isolated group transform the group instead

Select all objects in a Group and Transform Each will Transform each object WHILE ALSO TRANSFORMING THE WHOLE GROUP TOWARDS IT'S CENTRAL POINT. This directly contradicts the conventional meaning of "Transform Each".
    The workaround is to deselect one of the objects in the Group, which is why this is a Bug- the workaround is a kludge fix.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Pen tool rapidly changes to selection tool arrow glitch

Pen tool rapidly changes to selection tool arrow when I move the cursor. OS 10.14.3 / Ai CC 23.0.2. On wacom tablet. The pen tool icon changes every micro-second to the selection tool icon and back again. Very hard to work this way. If I more my stylus even a tiny bit it happens. I have the pen tool selected in the toolbox.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Distorted dashes at small sizes

Adobe Illustrator 23.0.1

When creating dashed lines at small sizes, the lines are distorted. See attached image - weight is .1mm, dash size is .1mm. The line is perfectly straight, the profile is uniform and the "Preserve exact" option is enabled.

The type and amount of distortion seems to vary depending on the line's position in the document as well. Moving the pictured line 2 mm to the right means the distortion is suddenly vertical rather than horizontal.

This is of course not a major issue as long as the illustration is only meant to be viewed…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Illustrator does not open files or create new files; macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

I'm running Illustrator CC 2019 on a MacBook running High Sierra 10.13.3 I cannot open files or create new files at all.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Properties Panel and Transform Panel measurements should be exactly the same not rounded in the Properties Panel

Properties Panel and Transform Panel measurements should be exactly the same not rounded in the Properties Panel.

Properties Panel rounds measurements to .000 decimal places but the transform panel allows .0000 four decimal places. This is inconsistent and is confusing to my team trying to double check our files for accuracy.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Global Process Colors get added twice when added from a CC library, lose their name and become Spot colors.

Create a Global Process Color Swatch and add it to a CC library.
    In a new document, select this color in the library, right click and choose
    Add to Swatches.
    The color gets added 2 times, becomes a spot color and loses it’s name.
    Or, in a new document double click the color in the Library. It gets added only once, keeps it’s name but becomes a Spot color.

92 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Background:

• CC libraries does not have support for Global Process Colors
    • Some users have spoken about InDesign – InDesign does not support Global Process colors
    • Illustrator does support process colors , global process colors and spot colors. The issue is specefic to global process colors – since it is not supported in CC Libraries. We have added the request to support in CC libraries backlog,

Workaround:

• Create Process colors in Illustrator and add it to CC libraries – deselect the global checkbox
  8. SVG export : XML code anomaly

Hi there,

(my specs don't matter for this issue)

I'm using Ai to make .svg files I'll animate live (making it react to midi and sound) using PureData and Processing.
    So I have vectorized a picture of stained glasses and it gives me 3655 different path I have to export twice : once in only one .svg file for all paths [globalsvg] and once in one .svg file per path [pathssvg].

I'll then use Processing to analyse height, width, viewbox and d-commands in [globalsvg] to finally recreate the entire pattern by placing [pathssvg] on another plan…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Excel graph conversation doesn't work on a Mac anymore

When pasting an Excel graph into Illustrator, text is converted to rubbish on a Mac running OS High Sierra and the newest version of Illustrator.
    Also, when converting the Excel file to a PDF and opening it in Illustrator, the same thing happens. BUT, when opening the PDF in Acrobat, everything looks just fine.
    To make sure it wasn't an Excel bug I saved the file in an older version of Excel – that didn't solve the problem.
    I used the same Excel file on a PC and copied it into the Windows-version Illustrator, also converted the file to PDF…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Type Box fills with x's

When I choose the Type Box tool, and click in the document to create a Type Box or simply place text, as soon as the box is created, it fills with X's/squares and goes off on it's own continually typing the X/square.

At that point I am not touching the keyboard, there is no key being held down, yet it seems to be "stuck" in creating the X/square.

Initially it only happened with Myriad Pro, so I uninstalled that font. Then it continued to do it with Arial. Now it does it, no matter what. I've un-installed Illustrator and re-installed…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Legacy blur lost when pasting into a new document.

An object with a legacy blur loses it's setting when copying and pasting into a new document. The blur is still listed in appearance, but there is no value and effectively no blur.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Libraries Panel broken

Although the Libraries panel is open, I cannot select another library, it's stuck on the same one. When I pull up the menu to choose another and click on it, nothing changes. Been like this for a few weeks now.

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.4.1 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

13. Screen Mode/Application positioning bug

On Windows 10. Toggling the screen mode does produces UI rendering bugs. But also I am entirely unable to get back to a windowed view, or move the window by any means (either dragging or the menu option behind the logo)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Zoom Blur gets cutoff.

At high amounts, the blur effect from zoom blur gets cut off (specifically with text, whether the text is rasterized or not. I haven't tested other shapes). It's related to the "add x amount of space around objects" setting (though no number actually fixes it. It is easy to see when you compare the effect in Illustrator to the effect in Photoshop.

You guys really need to work on Illustrator's effect system. It's the one thing no other vector app has, but some things don't work or aren't effective because we have less control than we do in Photoshop.

P.S.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Patern Maker's Numeric Scaling Is Broken

I'm creating a step and repeat wall using 2 graphics.

In a brick by column pattern, individual graphics can't be scaled using the menu dialog (Object>Transform>Scale).

However, they can be scaled using the tool panel's scale tool (keyboard shortcut s).

Entering precise scaling measurements that are supported in earlier versions of Illustrator would be appreciated!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export as SVG: linked image gets deleted

Hi All,
    I have an issue when exporting to SVG.
    I created an AI file with a linked jpg image as a background, and some text on top.
    When I export to SVG, the original jpg image gets deleted (I mean the original file, it disappears from Finder, it's not even in the recycle bin) and then Illustrator gives me the message "Some files are missing or modified in the links panel. Would you like to update them now?".
    So, the first time I export, the SVG is saved correctly but I lose the original image file, if I try…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Recent Files Browser Window: the wrong file opens when choosing a recent file.

This has happened multiple times. It isn't a one off incident.

Adobe Illustrator CC 22.1 (64-bit) / Windows 10

Step 1: Open Illustrator from desktop icon.
    Step 2: Click on a recent file from displayed recent file options.

Expected result: Selected file opens.

Actual result: A file other than the one I clicked opens.

There doesn't appear to be a pattern to which file opens, other than it is one from the selection of recently opened/saved files shown. See attachment.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

18. Cannot place images. Just updated to latest version

Totally fails to place any image.

I have just updated, uninstalled and re-installed and updated my macbook to High Sierra.

Macbook Pro mid-2015

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Illustrator Crashes when Opening File on Second Monitor

Illustrator is crashing when I open up the application on my second Monitor. But when I open it on my laptop it works. It will only work on my second monitor if I open it up on my laptop then drag to the second monitor. But if I want to open up another illustrator file it will crash again if I'm using the second monitor.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Local file saving and opening is extremely slow when connected to slow external server or VPN.

LOCAL file saving and opening is extremely slow when connected to slow external server or VPN.

Even though I only work on my local drive, opening or saving a simple document takes up to 2 minutes when I'm connected to a slow VPN connection server. Note: I don't open/save through the VPN, I only opens and saves from my local drive.

The second I close the slow VPN connection, Illustrator works like normal and saves the same file in <3 seconds.

So -- What is Illustrator doing accessing that VPN connection when everything it needs is on the local disk?

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base