Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

642 results found

1. Add 16px and 20px to the font-size drop down

With base rem being 16px, 16px has become the standard for readable text on a website. It would be good UX to have more base 4 standard font-sizes in the font-size select drop down.

7px, 9px, 11px and 21px are essentially useless to me but they have a seat in the dropdown, you could easily replace/swap a couple of them out for 16px and 20px. I don't know many designers, printers, or developers that use odd pixel sized fonts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Alignment of elements

Hi, I have an idea regarding accurate alignment of elements. If I post my idea on here, does that mean you can use my idea without me getting paid for it?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow to edit color of text in a dynamic symbol instance

I think it should be possible to edit the color of text in a dynamic symbol instance, just like it possible to change the color fill of any other element

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Symbols  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Wider Vertical Ruler ?

Is it possible to get a wider vertical ruler? The numbers are awkward to read and slows you down.

Just wide enough for the numbers to read horizontally instead of from top to bottom.

It's just impossible to easily find individual measurements if they go to more than two digits.

This looks like there is an error in the UI.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make Smart guides optionally work with live text

Sometimes it is needed to snap to contour of live text.
    Right now it requires to make a copy of text, outline it, snap to desired point/segment, delete copy.

What if user could tick an option that allows to snap to live glyphs? or use 'Ctrl' modifier to toggle this mode on the fly? It would allow us to skip copying-outlining-snapping-deleting and boost the speed.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow to combine/merge selected text and path to Type on Path

In Ai on iPad we can select a text, hold a spot, and drag the text to a path, converting these to Type on Path. Easy!

To perform this in Ai for Desktop we have to cut the text, pick the proper tool, hold Alt (or use a subtool), click on path (very precisely), paste the text and then adjust the position (dragging tiny handles). Dated.

What we definitely need:
    1. Ability to drag and drop a text on a path, using some modifier (Ctrl will do) to stick the text to the path
    2. Have a command in Type…

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. More Text Frame & Type options like: Inset Spacing, Auto Fit, Columns and Bullet & Num Lists

I highly appraise adding the much needed Vertical Text Alignment feature from indesign to Illustrator. While they are at it I would like to request more Text Frame & Type features to be migrated over from Indesign. Like Inset Spacing, Auto Fit, Columns and Bullet & Numbered Lists .

Why? Due to Illustrator having more flexible and abundant creativity oriented vector design features I often pick Illustrator over Indesign to create single page designs like flyers or posters. Having more control over type would speed up the design workflow significantly. Lack of Type control is the only thing that causes…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Shortcut Customization like Corel

Time Saving Shortcut Customization like Corel. There are so many extra steps you have to take instead of being able to create your own shortcut keys. Align/Distribute is just one of many.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Unable to Resize Tool Panels (vertical axis)

Cannot 'grab' the bottom edge of a panel in the right column to move up or down. Panel size seems 'locked.' This causes lots of wasted space in the right column tool set UI. This problem exists in both the Essentials workspace and the Essentials Classic. This was not an issue in previous versions of Ai. Thanks for addressing this bug!

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

10. Select more than one layer at once

Okay if you have more than one layer...let's say 50 and I need to select 20 of them. Why can't someone select them with a single click instead of selecting every single layer? With shift selected I can mark more than one but they aren't selected. Same thing for sublayers and so on.

295 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone, This feature has been available since August 2020 release (version 24.3). Please update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html Thank you for all the feedback.

You can now select multiple layers in Layers panel. Click the bars (they get highlighted blue) if you want to operate layers and not their content (e.g. to drag to reorder) or click their markers to select their content — circle (target ones) or square (selection ones) next to them. There is no real difference which to pick, but if you want to select a range of layers, using Shift, use target markers.

11. Auto-adjust text box to text

In the past, with Freehand, we could to do that by clicking on the bottom corner right of the text box.
    Recover that would be a good idea.
    Thanks!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Select Same Text Contents

Please make a way to select text object with the same contents.
    Would be very useful for many practical cases.
    Sure with have Find and Replace, but it won’t allow us to SELECT these text objects,, which we can use for styling, hiding, moving, rearranging, and more.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The latest Beta version (27.7) has the ability to filter contents of the Layers panel with an input field at the top of the panel. It does not directly select the objects that have the chosen value in their names (this includes the text contents), but allows to select them faster in the panel.

Does it help?

13. Constraint needed for 'Transform Each' and 'Transform' effect dialogs

Please add an option to constrain the horizontal and vertical values when scaling objects using 'Transform Each'.

I almost always use 'Transform Each' to scale proportionally, and right now you have to manually set horizontal and vertical to the same value.

104 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When outlining dotted lines with "aligns dashes", unnecessary anchor points are generated

When dotted lines with “Aligns dashes to corners and path ends, adjusting lengths to fit” are outlined , unnecessary anchor points are generated in the circles at both ends.

When performing detailed processing to create artwork, I sometimes outline dashed lines. So, unnecessary anchor points are an obstacle in such processing.
    Although there are workarounds, I hope that users will get clean outline results without any ingenuity.

Workaround:
    (A)
    1.Double-click anywhere in the stroke with Width tool to add a new width point.
    2.Execute “Expand Appearance” , “Outline Strokes” or “Flatten Transparency”.

(B)
    1.Drawing strokes in accurately calculated length with…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make option to generate compound paths instead of groups when text is outlined

Create simple black-on-white string of text.
    Outline it.
    AI will make a group of compound paths.

I would like to have a non-default option that would make AI generate one big compound path instead of group of paths.
    If text has more then one character color within it — only then this option would produce a group, with a colored compounds within.

Right now I have to use an Action (ungroup, release compound path, make compound path) and manually run it for every string/area of text before proceeding to next step of my workflow.
    I will make a script to…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please turn the eyedropper into a cursor for multiple text formatting

Indesign allows you to drag over multiple words within a text box, or over various different places to apply a text attribute with the eyedropper tool. ie, the eyedropper when hovered over the text actually becomes like a cursor, so you can just swipe over the text to apply the attribute. Please can Illustrator have this same feature. Otherwise we have to use the cursor to locate the word, then shift+arrow right to highlight it, then click to apply. It's a bit annoying and time-wasting. The eye-dropper turning into a cursor when hovering over text is much more useful.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Aligned "Dashed Line": PLEASE enable for "Rounded Rectangle".

The "Dashed Line" has an optional button that "Aligns dashes to corners and path ends, adjusting lengths to fit." for the "Rectangle Tool" (and the Star Tool, and the Polygon tool), but it doesn't work on the "Rounded Rectangle"! Why?

Please make the "Aligns dashes to corners and path ends, adjusting lengths to fit." work for Rounded Rectangles, PLEASE.

Thank you!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Editable text underline feature as available in Indesign

Illustrator is the industry standard application for the packaging design and artwork industry. I don't think that this was the original plan for Illutsrator but this is now just a fact of life and millions of users around the world in the packaging industry use this day in day out for very technical builds where printer specifications must be taken into account. There are hundreds of features that could be added to make our lives easier as we work the lack of certain features to get it to do what we need. But the most glaring ommision for many of…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow Custom Brick Offset Values in Pattern Maker

The 9 fractions included in Brick Offset are not always enough to align patterns properly. When bricking a pattern, to achieve the acquired random look of a pattern, paths may need to be repeated just so it evenly fits within one of the fraction presets. The fractions are sometimes only off by a slight degree, that would be perfectly symmetrical if one were allowed the ability to adjust their own decimal chosen. Part of the confusion may also stem from complex patterns where they are difficult to update, as well as sorted fractions where Illustrator otherwise uses decimals. By size…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Multiple Artboard Alignment at same time

My name is Mujtaba from Pakistan, And I have been working as a Professional Designer.
    It is stated, that when we have multiple artboards, and when we need to arrange all the group or individual Object/Element in all artboard, we are enable to do so using Adobe illustrator CC 2021 yet.
    For example: We have 20 artboards and 20 different objects, now someone like to arrange each object in their own artboard, then there should be option that the object inside each artboard arrange to it's self. We have to arrange individually abroad and object one by one which takes…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base