Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7465 results found

1. Color Mixer Bugs + Feature Request

I use the color mixer (color wheel) daily. I have come across an annoying bug, as well as a couple features missing:

Bug: Some base colors will be automatically 'locked' in the color mixer, indicated by a '-'. For example, let's say I'm trying to turn white into red.
    - First, white needs to be unlocked. By clicking the '-', it will become an arrow '->', and the swatch should be toggle-able now.
    - The first time you toggle the white, it selects, sliders can be moved to make it red, but it doesn't stay adjusted; it reverts back to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Window tabs in illustrator glitch can't navigate

I've lost the ability to navigate and manage my tabs in illustrator on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3. Multiple restarts of my computer have not solved this, please fix this super frustrating glitch!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue and apologies for the inconvenience caused.Does this issue persists even now? If yes , can you please share the specific steps that you were doing,it may help us to reproduce the issue

3. some graphics missing when exporting artboard using "export as"

Hello, I am experiencing strange results during artboard export - after export to bitmap file, there is often some part of graphics missing. Latest example is this - the 1pt stroke, visible in editor, is not present on exported image. Simillar result achieved in numerous different cases, ussually some shapes or contours with white color are missing in exported image. I am includign source files, you will have the background photo link missing, but this can be replaced with any colored box with same result. This is dangerous bug, because you have to control your exports carefully, and is easy…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The white outlines in the file have Overprint attribute set. White + overprint result in empty objects, please remove overprint attribute from the white objects and try export again.

4. Problem with snap / smart guides

Illustrator 22.1, Max OSX High Sierra 10.13.3

The smart guides are always a little off, unless I zoom a lot.

For example, when I want to cut a path at an intersection, with CC2018, the cut is always a little off.

It happens with many other actions: moving anchor points, clicking on a path end point to continue drawing, adjusting tangents... the smart guides show the correct point, but the action snaps to something else.

See the example below, where I'm trying to continue that red line.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ellipse Tool not working

Circle/Ellipse tool has some sort of preset effect making it look jagged. This should not be the default.

This is a basic feature which should be working properly -please fix this or we cannot continue using this product.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Illustrator is not frozen but you can't see anything you're doing to your work

Since the update I have had a lot of issues when creating art. Everything starts smoothly, I can see everything I'm doing in real time and can see which brush strokes I'm creating. A little ways through drawing, I can no longer see my brush strokes. I can click other options in illustrator (i.e. select layers, lock and unlock, hover over options etc.) and do other things in the process but I can't see anything that i'm actually doing to my artwork! I have to restart the program almost every ten minutes and it's driving me absolutely mad. Is there…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. "Export as" not working as expected

When I file > export > export as ... e.g. png, using the "use artboards" function the "save as" dialog isn't working properly ...

first it doesn't save the name I typed exactly ... "Version 1.2.png" it somehow uses parts of already existing file names like "Version 1.2_Text.png" which is really weird ...

second if I use parts of the name of a file that already exists like "Text_Version 1.2.png" in the saving process and Text.png already exists it asks me if I want to overwrite that file...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SVG text export failure

Illustrator 22.0.1 cannot export text layer names to SVG, which seriously impairs our SVG processing pipeline. Tested on both Mac and PC.
    To reproduce:
    • Create a blank document
    • Create a new text object with the Type tool
    • Give the text object a name in the Layers control panel
    • Export to SVG, setting Object IDs to "Layer Names"

The resulting SVG code will contain a <text> entity, but without its "id" attribute!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

9. Illustrator File opens to Work/Learn Screen

I have Illustrator CC and after the most recent update, almost every time I open a file in Illustrator after turning on my computer, it opens the file but the Work/Learn screen is still up.

I can see my file's layers in the layers panel in the bottom right corner but the screen doesn't show it. I can click around and it's saying I'm selecting things but I can't get the Work/Learn screen off so I have to restart Illustrator over and over again until I can get it to work.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Transparency lost in Image Trace

Transparency of .png images is lost if using the image trace option. So my already transparent picture now has a white background if I use image trace, unless I use sketched art which does not provide the look I want. All the options should be transparent, especially if the original file is already.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. When drag-copying an artboard, the original artboard remains selected. v 22.1

Bug: When drag-copying an artboard, the original artboard remains selected. v 22.1

Idea: When drag-copying an artboard, the new artboard is selected and the original artboard is de3selected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 3d extrude and bevel problem

Illustrator crashes when attempting 3d extrude and bevel or it does not do extrude and bevel at all.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Adobe Illustrator has found an error it can't correct

How do I deal with the Adobe Illustrator error message "Adobe Illustrator has found an error it can't correct"? It shows up for one Illustrator file but not others. Why does it give me this pop up every time?
    I'm running Win10 64-bit.
    Dell Inspiron 11 3000 I31620003 11.6 Notebook
    Adobe Illustrator CC2017
    Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Scaling only appearance (without objects) doesn't work

I want to scale appearance of my art only, without changing scale of art itself. The way I'm trying to do it — is to use Scale tool's dialogue with 'Transform objects' unchecked and 'Scale strokes and effects' checked.
    AI does nothing.
    Strangely, but if I cut and paste this art into new document, AI don't allow to uncheck 'Transform objects' anymore.
    I can work around this, scaling art with effects down, and then enlarge only art, without effects, up to desired size, but this is not very nice way to do it.
    Photoshop does scaling of effects all right.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue.
    Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce this issue. Could you kindly provide the following information to help us nail this down.

Please share the document in which this issue is seen by you.

1) Kindly share a video recording for the issue 

2)Please share your system details - OS, GPU etc.

3)Please upgrade to the latest Illustrator available on Creative Cloud , and check if issue is still happening at your end.

Regards,
    Aishwarya 'G' Gadodia
    Illustrator Team

15. Hide text highlighting on "Hide Edges" (CMD+H)

This was never fixed in CC 2015 - 2017 and the same **** bug is in CC2018.

In ALL previous versions of AI prior to CC2015 (or at least as far back as CS5 when I got Illy), if you selected text with the Text Tool which made the text highlighted, if you then performed the Hide Edges command, the highlight would NOT show... that way you could change the color, Tracking, font size etc of ONLY the SELECTED characters without affecting the others.

The "big deal" here is when you are trying to see the color change take effect…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this bug Illustrator Team really appreciate this.
    We are able to reproduce this issue in house and we are investigating it .

16. Key Object Performance Issues

When aligning to a complex key object, the performance is terrible. When I click on a complex object (say, a group of complex paths or illustrations) to set it as the key object, it lags for several seconds after clicking before I can click an alignment tool. The length of the lag depends on how complex the key object is. This behavior never occurred in prior versions of illustrator. Very annoying.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Could not read file because the plug in did not understand this file

Not sure what is happening. I was able to open files before but now I receive a message

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Document recovery is now built inside Illustrator to recover incomplete/corrupt documents. Illustrator first tries to fix and open the native Illustrator document, if that fails then the PDF part of the document is recovered if it is available. Illustrator shows message to the user if any of the above attempts fails to recover the document.

18. Recent File Opens Up Blank Without My Saved Work

I recently saved a file/project I was working on. The next day when I went to go open the recently saved file it opened a blank page. None of the layers were shown, and the size was not right. I tried restarting my computer but still the same thing occurred. It was like the art I drew was not even there. Can someone please help me? Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Can't Export Png File

Hello,

I am trying to export my illustration in png at 300 dpi, but everytime it is showing me the attached error. It's not with this file only. Even if I am trying to export a simple rectangle, I am getting the same error. I am using windows 8.1 pro and illustrator version is 2018.

Kindly help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Actions based on Scripts not saving after restart?

I located another thread from December where the consensus seems to be that this is a long standing and known bug with Illustrator.
    Permanently saving scripts in Action Set doesn't work / Scripts werden nicht dauerhaft in den Aktionseinstellungen gespeichert.

I have spent a good deal of time working with people here on the Adobe forums to develop a script to automate a very large function of my job, and now that it is completed it should be ready to pass on to members of my team so they can utilize it as well. The problem is that…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base