Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7508 results found

1. reading XMP data in scripts broken by 25.4 update.

Illustrator 25.4 update broke scripts that try to read XMP data that worked in previous versions of Illustrator. This is the Mac version (have not tried in Windows).

It appears to be getting the error on this line:

ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject('lib:AdobeXMPScript');

Comparing the frameworks in the package contents for 25.3.1 vs 25.4, the AdobeXMPScript framework appears to be missing in 25.4.

Below is an example script to read font data that worked in 25.3, but errors loading the library in 25.4

// load XMP Library

function loadXMPLibrary() {

if (!ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript) {  

try {  

ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject('lib:AdobeXMPScript');  

} catch
    21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Blue learn box won't go away

I cannot see part of my workspace because the blue learn box covers up the panels and I cannot get it to go away. How am I supposed to use your program when your supposedly helpful box covers up what I need to see in order to create projects? This is unbelievably frustrating, and I am probably going to have to use some other program to create my logo since I cannot use the work space because of this idiotic blue learn bubble that won't go away and can't be moved, apparently.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.4.1 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

3. When changing UI scale, dropdownlist is shown inverted and the bottom item is not shown.

macOS 10.14.6
    Illustrator 2019, 2020

Dropdown list is shown inverted when changing UI scale.
    It seems to display correctly when I mouse over it, but the bottom item is not actually displayed.

These defects can be resolved by making the UI scale the smallest.
    This is a very troublesome problem as a script developer.
    I expect an immediate fix.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

4. Distribute spacing value field doesn't show units anymore

The field used to show units (like '50 mm') in version 23.
    In 24 it says just '50' with no 'mm' after.
    If you type in your own unit, it won't recalculate in current units, as every other field in AI can do.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Corner Anchor Points become Smooth in 24.1

Draw a straight line.
    Add Anchor points twice
    Use the Delete Anchor Point Tool to removwe the middle one.
    The adjoining Anchor point become smooth instead of staying Corner (as in previous versions).
    See also: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/anchor-point-glitch-during-removing-unnecessary-anchor-points-adobe-illustrator-24-1/m-p/10936870?page=1

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.1.2 which is available worldwide now.

6. Saving always creates a .tmp file, can't see preview of the file and cannot import AI file to After Effects

as title says, my Illustrator 2020 (24.0.1) always creates a .tmp file whenever i save. I cant see a preview of the file when viewed on Finder. Lastly, I can't import the files i created using AI 2020 to After Effects - it only shows a blank artboard.

Files are saved with Create PDF compatible File ticked.

I have also tried resetting the Adobe PDF joboption settings.

So right now I have 2 AI's installed just so i can continue working with my files.

macOS High Sierra
    version 10.13.6

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ratchakrit Klongpayabal posted the below solution to fix this issue.

How to stop .tmp$$$ when export .png File from Avast Anti-virus

The cause of this annoying problem came from the ransomware shield function from Avast. This is an easy method to solve this problem.

1. Go to Avast Antivirus user interface.
    2. Select the protection tab.
    3. Select ransomware shied.
    4. Protected folder by Avast Ransomware shield will appear.
    5. Click the checkbox of the protected file location that you choose to export which shown for protection.(C:\USER\...\Pictures etc.)
    6. When you select, the message of the selected folder and "Stop Protection" button will appear.
    7. Click stop protection.

after this procedure, you can export .png file or else and preview it as you please. Please try...

7. Color picker works weird with gradient sliders

Sometimes Color Picker, summoned for SELECTED color gradient slider with double-click on Fill in toolbox, shows color Black instead of actual color, but when applied, turns color to white even.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.0.0 which is available worldwide now.

8. Pantone Solid Spot colors added from InDesign to a CC Library become Magenta Process colors in Illustrator

A Pantone Solid Spot color (or any Lab spot color) added to a CC library in InDesign will become 100% Magenta CMYK Process color in the Swatches panel when added from the CC library by double clicking in Illustrator.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Saving a PDF compatible causes slow saving

I have a top end workstation so the spec isn't an issue. When saving an AI file, checking PDF compatible slows the save and subsequent saves significantly. Un-checking it results in normal performance. This was not an issue prior to the latest release.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Illustrator makes mouse curser go slow (not a lagging issue)

Lets start by saying that Illustrator isn't lagging, It's just the mouse curser that goes slow when on the canvas.

I use an extra monitor connected to my Macbook macOS Sierra pro 10.12.4 (16E195)

I have noticed this a few times when using illustrator. It does not happen to any other program, Photoshop, sketch, Chrome etc.

This might be worth investigating as it is slightly irritating

Illustrator version 22.0.0

Cheers

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Round caps for a stroke turn into butt caps when expanded or outlined

New bugs for Illustrator CC 22.0.1.

1. make Path Line(pen tool), set Stroke Weight, set Round Cap
    2. use "Outline Stroke" in "Path" menu in "Object" menu" (or "Expand" in "Object" menu")
    3. confirm result

The state of the start point or the end point changes from before processing.
    Attach screenshot of Japanese version.

It does not happen in CC 2017.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Can't move paragraph indent markers back to 0 in tab panel

Illustrator CC 2018
    Windows 10

When I try to move the top or bottom indent markers back to zero, it snaps back to its original place.
    If I type 0 in the X: box, it doesn't work.
    If I set it to 1, cliclk in the X: box and press the down arrow on my keyboard, it doens't work.

The only way to set it back is via the Paragraph panel.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. eyedropper tool

I have never had to ungroup objects to get the eye dropper tool to apply selected attributes to an object. This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

I have never had to ungroup objects to change the color of an object selecting a color from swatches. This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

I have posted a thread with all the screenshots you could ever need and the this appears to be a glitch that needs fixing...really, really bad. The solution to the issue from my thread was to post the problem here.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/428177

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 警告無しに文字詰めが変化する

ver.27において、マイナーバージョンリリース又はマイクロバージョンリリースにおいてオプティカルカーニングの仕様が度々変更されています。これ自体は改善の意味合いの強い対応で仕様変更と考えます。
    しかし、仕様変更以前のバージョンの文字組み仕様が異なるにもかかわらず、なんの警告も無しに文字組みが変化します。こういったケースではユーザーに注意を促す警告を表示するべきでしょう。

再現手順
    1. Illustrator ver.26.5にてエリア内文字を作成し文字間のカーニングを「オプティカル」に設定し、均等配置を指定する。
    2.Illustrator2020形式で保存する。
    3.Illustrator ver.27.9で開いてTツールを用いてエリア内文字にカーソルを入れるか、テキスト自体を移動する。
    4.カーニングの状態が変化する。

期待する結果
    カーニングが変化する際は警告を表示する。

実際の結果
    なんの警告もなくカーニングが変化する。

理想を言えば、既存のファイルに対して新しいカーニング値を自動的に適用せずに以前と全く同じ表示にするのが良いですが、仕様の変更自体は改善の意味合いが強く、仕方ない面もあるかと思います。しかし、編集しているユーザーが、この変化に気が付かない事によりデータトラブルを誘発する可能性もあります。
    これは2022の最終バージョンが書き出す2020形式のファイルでも起こる挙動です。影響を受けるファイルは相当数存在するはずですから、せめて警告が表示されるようにしていただきたいと思います。

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Bullet list cannot be disabled

No matter how the bullet list is set up in Preferences > Type, Illustrator will always make a list after typing the characters +, * ,# , - followed by a space. https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/automatic-bulleted-amp-numbered-lists-while-typing-bug/m-p/13315015#M341830

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.1.1 which is available worldwide now.

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

16. Select all in an isolated group selects and allows to move locked and hidden objects

Imagine a group. Let's isolate it and hide one object, lock another, and leave the third one as it is. Ctrl+A to select all and then move the selection. Illustrator then moves all the objects, despite it does not behave like this on canvas.

If you check layers, you’ll see that Illustrator targets all children (double circle markers) but not a parent (the recent fix), and selects all objects including the parent (big square markers).

If you try to move the selection, all objects get moved.

This is not what happens if we try to select objects on canvas, locked…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Isolation  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.1.1 which is available worldwide now.

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

17. Playing Save for Web operation from action produces different result than a direct operation

1. Rename the .txt file to .aia
    2. Load this file as a set into Actions panel
    3. Open the .ai document (make sure that linked .tif file is loaded)
    4. Export the file using Save For Web command. Set size to 200% and save the result as 1.jpg
    5. Run the 'Test' action form the loaded set. Save the image as 2.jpg

Compare both files. 2.jpg is looking more red than 1.jpg
    No profiles attached to JPGs.

1. Run the action again
    2. While the S4W dialog is open, go to Optimize menu (hamburger button in top right corner) and disable 'Convert to sRGB' option

The…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Importing CAD DXF files: Unknown Format and Cannot Be Opened

I am using Illustrator 2020 on a Windows 10 computer.
    We import CAD files in DXF format to create AI files for our graphics department to use. We are successful when importing ACAD2000 DXF files, but have problems with more recent versions. Elements drop off when importing ACAD2004, 2007, 2010 DXF files. When trying to import ACAD2013 and 2018 CAD files I get the message "Unknown Format and Cannot Be Opened".

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.x which is available worldwide now.

19. Mouse right-click Select next Object Below does not work

When I right-click with the mouse on an object and try to select next object below it does not work/does nothing.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.3.0 which is available worldwide now.

20. Photoshop Effects Dialog not Scaled when UI is scaled.

User interfaces that open within the workflow scaling incorrectly

System Information overview:
    Dell 17-R3
    Display: 17.3-inch UHD (3840 x 2160)
    Chipset: Intel GL82HM170 PCH
    Integrated graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530
    High performance graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980m
    CPU: Intel i7-6820HK
    RAM: 32.0 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 PC4-17000
    Windows 10 Pro
    Version 1809
    OS Build 17763.253

(detailed system information attached)

Adobe Illustrator 23.0.1 (64-bit)

User interfaces that open within the workflow scaling incorrectly with the computer operating with the graphics set to 4K (3840 x 2160). For example, with a path selected go to "Effect" --> "Sketch" --> "Chalk & Charcoal". The…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base