Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• or

753 results found

1. Illustrator 24 does not memorize the artboards when saving as a PDF page

Hi, now I am facing an unpleasant problem.
    After upgrading to the latest version of Illustrator (24), Illustrator stopped remembering the last selected artboard. I have to select it every time I save it to PDF. Quite annoying error. Has any of you met this before?
    The next mistake is, if the PDF already exists, it will not notify you that it is already and overwrite it directly.

More here: https://youtu.be/Yx8Dsw2-1Ho

Ales

PS: I also informed about it here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-24-does-not-memorize-the-artboards-when-saving-as-a-pdf-page/td-p/10751205

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Artboard units still not working (illustrator 26.0.2)

Artboard units are stuck to pt, when it is supposed to be pixels set in preferences.

It's so basic, yet buggy. Artboards units are broken for several illustrator versions now, despite the claim of Adobe to have "fixed this problem in the new updated version of Illustrator"...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Artboard Naming Display Error

When renaming artboards, the text is cut off in the textbox on my M1 Macbook Air.

Steps I took: Shift+O to access the artboard tool, click artboard, attempt to rename.

I want to point out - I'm still able to rename the artboard, but the text is just cut off in the box (see picture below).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Align to Artboard

All version of Illustrator before CC 2018 the Align to.. command would stick to Align to Artboard unless you clicked on another object to define a Key Object.

This upgrade keeps jumping back to align selections.

146 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

5. Guides dissapear when selected

In a new document (CC2019) with multiple artboards, the guides dissapear when I select them. They reappear when unselected.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Export is not pixel perfect

Many times when exporting an image file, Illustrator creates a blurry line near the edge of the image, even if the design extends all the way to the edge. Sometimes an extra pixel is added to the exported file. This is because the artboard is not set to a whole number intersection (XY coordinates having decimals). You can re-align your artboard to a whole number intersection to avoid this, but it can take a very long time to do manually when you work with multiple artboards. A solution would be an option for snapping the artboard to whole XY …

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 'Fit to Artwork Bounds' doesn't work in action command

Illustrator 2020 won't crop the artboard to the illustration limit with an action.

I need to make an action which:
    - Selects all
    - Object > Artboards > Fit to Artwork Bounds
    Not implemented.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Actions  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Highlighting text leads to disappearing artboards

This tends to only happen when I have minimized the screen to be half of my desktop size. Whenever I highlight text in Illustrator the artboard disappears and it only comes back when I've selected the selection tool and click in the work space.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Artboard Snapping is broken when creating a new artboard

If you're creating a new artboard, you can snap the edges of the artboard to previously created artboards.

However, if you hold SHIFT to constrain proportions (handy if you're making social size assets for example), the snapping no longer works, even though you'll still see the snapping points.

Furthermore, when you constrain proportions, the artboard location will be a decimal point, meaning if you Export For Screens, you'll get extra pixels added to your artboard thanks to a different unrelated illustrator bug.

Video attached.

AI version 27.5
    MacOS Ventura 13.2.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Choose where to place new artboard

Choose where to place new artboard, like how Illustrator used to act:

Please bring back the ability of a user to control where new artboards appear, rather than Illustrator always putting it next to whatever artboard might be selected or last one made. In earlier versions of Illustrator, users could make a new artboard in any particular location by simply clicking the artboard tool in the paste board.

It is SO frustrating to make a new artboard in some odd location and then have to move it to where you wanted it to be in the first place.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Phantom Artboard keeps appearing

After I have created multiple artboards, and click to rearrange them, I keep getting this phantom artboard that shows up. It doesn't seem to be an actual artboard - I cannot select it with the artboard selection tool, and it doesn't show up on the artboard list, but it's there, being annoying visually, and since I can't select it, I can't figure out how to make it go away. I've tried to close and reopen the file, as well as the program. The only thing that has made it go away is to recreate the artboards in a new…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Illustrator CC won's allow me to update the artboard size in Options panel.

When I change the width and height the size automatically reverts back to a size that is some 20 pixels off. I need the artboards to be precisely 2160x1920 which is the size they were when created, but somehow they change to different sizes like 2180x1916. When I try to update the size in the field, as soon as I click off the field the dimension goes right back to the old, incorrect dimension. I cannot save it out to the correct dimension. I can drag the size of the artboard with the artboard tool, but that is impossible to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Buggy strokes, unwanted anti-aliasing and wrong sizes on export.

I have just completed a project where 1800 tool icons had to be redesigned for a CAD program. Exporting my icons to single and @2x PNGs butchers my icons.

• If strokes are set to outside, export to PNG invariably produces unwanted anti-aliasing on vertically or horizontally stacked pixels. (see image 1.png). I have a hunch this only occurs with documents that have over 100 artboards. It cannot be easily reproduced with a document containing only a single artboard. (if someone from tech support wants the document, let me know. I cannot share it publicly.)

• When the arrow up cursor…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Line breaks can be included in artboard names, causing errors

I'm using Illustrator 26.0.2 on Mac OS Catalina.

I often copy titles from the art and paste them into the artboard name box. If the copied title has a line break in it, the line break character will exist within the artboard name, but will not display. (You can tell it's there when moving the cursor via the arrow key, because the cursor will not move when passing the line break character.)

If there is a line break character in an artboard name and you attempt to export the artboard, you will get a generic error. ("Unable to export the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Empty artboard name which changes itself when artboard is resized

I have a simple template for business card, made long ago, with a single artboard inside.
    Today I created new document based on this template and AI22 has shown this single artboard with no name (which was never touched in template and always was default 'Artboard 1'). It displays as 'Artboard 1' in Artboards paleette, but tag is missing.
    Next, when I add height to this artboard in Control panel, it got renamed to 'Artboard 2', both in tag and palette.
    If I undo this and make change again, it got 'Artboard 3' and so on.
    I expect this artboard…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

16. Unable to Crop to Artboard when Exporting SVG's through "Export for Screens"

When exporting my artboards using Export for Screens, I'm unable to crop the artwork to the bounds of the artboard. The thumbnails that show up in the export flow look great, but the output files contain all art elements that are touching the artboard. See screenshots. Output svg attached.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. artboard name

in previus version Illustrator if i need to rename artboard without deleting original name, i press in text field of artboard. In new version pressing on this field comes to delete original name

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.

Warm Regards,

18. Save Each Artboard to a Separate File - thumbnails are incorrect.

When using the option during Save to save each artboard to its own file, the thumbnails for each of the individual files shows all the artboards instead of the the artboard being saved.

Details of your operating system:
    Windows 11, Nvidia RTX A2000 12gb GPU, i7-12700 CPU, 64G memory

The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop):

The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues:
    Save a multiple artboard file using the option discussed above.

Your expected result and the actual result:
    Each file should have a thumbnail of only it's respective artboard instead of all artboards together, which…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Snap to grid doesn't work at artboard edges

Snap to grid is ignored at artboard edges.
    See animation attached.
    It makes me cry.

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Paste in Place does not work properly

So I'm having problems with the Paste in Place command, sometimes it works great when I Copy or Cut something and paste it on other artboards but most of the times it is not working properly, either what I copied o cut get outside the drawing area or it goes to a random place, and at first I thought I wasn't selecting the artboard but even with the artboard selected it falls anywhere. I'm running Illustrator CC 2019, on windows 10.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thank you for reporting this issue. Illustrator Team really appreciate this.

Can you help the Illustrator team to isolate this issue further?
    If yes, then please let me know the following:
    1) Is this Issue still happening on your machine in the latest version 25.2.1 ?
    2) If yes, kindly provide some video, Test file(Via File→Package), OS version of your machine & some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us at ShareWithAI@adobe.com in a Zip file.

Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Thanks and Regards
    Ankit Goyal

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base