Illustrator Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator
  2. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video

What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New update (v23) crashes Illustrator consistently with Can't finish previewing or enough memory (RAM)

I'm working on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    3.5 HGz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
    Mem 64 GB
    Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Since updating this morning, Illustrator has consistently crashed. At a random point, it switches to outline mode, and then a dialog box opens and states, "Cannot finish previewing" –– and then every time I try to switch out of outline-mode, it fails, and brings up the same dialog box, and I have seconds before it crashes altogether.

I'm able to still save and close the file. But when I try to re-open it, it says it does not have…

590 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

393 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

2. High Sierra (macOS 10.13) GPU rendering issues with RGB document - Intel Graphics

Illustrator 21.1.0 has issues with GPU rendering in the latest High Sierra public betas:

Paths will appear jagged and generally do not display correctly.

Altering the zoom level affects these artefacts.

Switching off GPU rendering altogether fixes the issue but this way, performance is obviously affected.

Additional Note: Works correctly in CMYK document.

380 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

278 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Can't open files properly

v 22.1

When trying to open an existing file while Illustrator is closed, the software will lag and then hang on the opening screen. The file appears to be opened in the background, but there's no way to access or see it. The opening screen will give options to open additional files or create a new one (as usual) but when trying to do either, nothing will open and no New File Options menu will appear.

Everything will work normally only if I open Illustrator first and then the file.

This happens will every file I've tried, so this isn't…

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

175 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Rotation Handle Tolerance overrides scale and selection functionality while using Wacom.

Hiya. I have an issue with the Selection tool and the rotation handle functionality overriding both scale and shift+selection of other objects while using a Wacom.

Essentially, the rotation functionality tolerance seems to be 2-3 times higher than when using a mouse, which means that I have to zoom in far in order to either scale or select a nearby object.

This behaviour has been in every version of Illustrator since the original Illustrator CC - which behaved flawlessly.

I've also had it occur on 2 different computers with 2 different Wacom devices (Intuous 5 and Cintiq 13HD) and multiple…

133 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

HI All,

Apologies for marking it complete, that happened due to a conflict. Apologies for the same.

A small fix of the bigger problem was fixed in the last release and due to some confusion the original issue/thread was closed.

We have reopened the issue and it is under investigation right now.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh

5. Align to Artboard

All version of Illustrator before CC 2018 the Align to.. command would stick to Align to Artboard unless you clicked on another object to define a Key Object.

This upgrade keeps jumping back to align selections.

132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

87 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

6. Export JPG/PNG(any format) in same folder of AI file (like before)

Hello, since update (CC 2018 22.0.0), when I do file>export> as jpeg, the file location is the last used and not the same as the AI file just open.

This can seems not important for you, but I do this 40x per day and now it's a waste of time. In CC 2017 this was ok.

I have to browse all the folders on local network .. to find my folder and it's boooooring.

There is no setting for this in preferences.

Thank you for your help.

(we are a infographist team and all complains about this.)

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

110 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.

Warm Regards,

7. Spacebar not working as quick hand tool

Spacebar has stopped working as hand tool as of 2018 update.

112 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

222 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Rotate dialogue box is now painfully inefficient (CC2019)

Rotate and Scale functions used to work the same, where you could press R+Enter or S+Enter to bring up their respective dialogue boxes, type in a number, and hit Enter. Very fast, very efficient. Now when you call up the Rotate dialogue box, the focus is on this manual angle widget instead of the numeric field. And should you try to use Tab to change the focus to that field you have to hit it 5x.

This used to be extremely efficient, which was great since it's not uncommon to use this feature hundreds of times in a day. It…

100 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2

Warm Regards,

9. 90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Warm Regards,

10. Unable to export Artboards as SVG

The AI does export to SVG. I have used this constantly in the previous version, but the new version will not save the image in SVG format using the Export for Screens option.

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

107 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Warm Regards,

11. Color Settings Auto Defaulting

When you open up a file in the new Illustrator 2019 it automatically defaults your document to have "Emulate Adobe Illustrator 6.0". You can change your color settings to what you want, in my case I use "North American General Purpose 2". But when you click into a different application, ex. Internet, Photoshop, anything; your file changes your color setting back to "Emulate Adobe Illustrator 6.0". This is extremely frustrating and annoying. Please fix.

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. XD and PS defaults to open .ai files - AI files should open with Illustrator only

Working in windows 10. After updating XD and Illustrator to 2019, all my existing .ai files have been defaulted to open in XD. I can use the "Open With" option to successfully open .ai files in Illustrator but the default always stays with XD no matter how many times I select Illustrator.

Uninstalled XD. AI files cannot locate Illustrator as primary software for launch.

NOTE:
    Edited by Adobe Staff to generalise the issue.

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have this issue fixed, please refer to steps below to solve the issue

XD defaulting to AI on Windows
    -——————————————————————

• Please update to latest version of XD (13.1.32) to resolve the issue. Thank you XD engineering team for solving this issue.

PS defaulting to AI on MAC
    -——————————————————————

• Please update to latest version of Illustrator (23.0.1) to solve this issue.
  13. 78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

171 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Warm Regards,

14. Outline preview bug

After updating to the two latest versions of Nvidias Drivers on my laptop Outline Preview does not work at all in Illustrator.
    I tried to reinstall Illustrator, reinstall Nvidia drivers but nothing works.

The only solution right now is to switch to the integrated graphics Intek HD Graphics 530. But the performance is so much slower with this card :(

Illustrator version:
    2017.1.0 Release (21.1.0 Release (64-bit)

Graphics card:
    Nvidia Quadro M1000M

Nvidia driver version:
    Quadro Desktop / Quadro Notebook Driver Release 384.
    Version: 385.69

Hardware:
    Dell Precision 5510 laptop

Platform:
    Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Tiny size indicators on high-resolution displays

I have Windows 10 and a display with a resolution of 2560x1440 and a scaling of 150%. Illustrator displays tiny size indicators. Take a look at the screenshots.

This is a long-standing problem with the scaling of the Illustrator interface. Please correct it, my eyes hurt.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.

Warm Regards,

16. Blob Brush changes size after undo

1. Illustrator CC 2017.1.0

-I Select blob brush on 2pt.
    -draw a bit with it
    -Hit undo and the blob brush suddenly changes to a much larger size even though it says 2pt in the menu
    -The only way to get it back is to go to Blob brush menu, select 1pt hit ok, then go back to blob brush menu and select 2pt again.

3. I expect that when I hit undo the blob brush will stay the correct size

4. It changes size every time I hit undo

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Unable to export PNG higher than 72ppi

"Export As" command will not export PNG files any higher than 72 ppi. Even when I set it to export at 300 ppi, it still exports at 72.
    Please fix this!

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Direct Selection tool does not work on text anchors....

For some reason I can no longer select text by anchor using the direct selection tool. If I use the Regular selection tool it acts as it did before the update but the direct selection tool does not.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2

Warm Regards,

19. 100% view is not 100% for pixels in cc2019

OMG, yesterday I've updated illustrator cc2018 to cc2019. Objects now in 100% view are diplayed as ~151% - see attached file - in left side - illustrator cc2018 window and 400x400 px square in 100% view. In the right side - the same square in 100% view.

Please fix this annoing bug.
    This is on Mac pro late 2013, High Sierra, 27' Eizo monitor 1400x2560

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

73 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1

Warm Regards,

20. Smart guides don't work properly

It has been too long for this not to be working right yet. Smart guides aren't smart enough. When smart guides snap to something it has to be exact, not .05 pixels off. Close enough is not good enough. Also, when I drag over an object it needs to snap to that object, not some random shape clear across the pasteboard. If I have to zoom in 2600% to manually align something (which I often do) smart guides and snapping have failed. Is there some ridiculous setting I have to change to get this to work the way it's supposed…

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.

Warm Regards,

← Previous 1 3 4 5 127 128
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base