Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• or

753 results found

1. Pixel number inconsistency

Windows 10? (most recent and just updated yesterday)
    Illustrator 22.1 (64bit)

When I told Illustrator to create an artboard of 350x350 pixels, I thought it could actually do so. That was the template image size that our web designer propogated across our entire website.

Then I exported 11 images from Illustrator to .png format to re-build one of our webpages. They came out as 1459x1459. Now I will resize them in Microsoft Paint. They'll pixelate and probably look like trash. All because Illustrator can't understand "350 pixels x 350 pixels" on the Create New prompt window.

Flaming dumpster fire. I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to ensure your pixel-sized document stays the same size after export is to use the default screen resolution — 72 PPI.

If you set anything else, Illustrator will scale the image  accordingly (as if the 'Resample' option in Photoshop is ticked when you resize an image).

There is no way to write a custom resolution AND maintain the desired size at the same time.

The reasoning behind this behaviour is that the resolution value is supposed irrelevant when an image’s intent is Screen or Web. An image can have no resolution value stored in it at all, it’s just an optional coefficient, and then different viewers and editors suppose a value on their own — usually 72 PPI (Mac-style) or 96 PPI (Windows-style).

Unlike other editors, Illustrator has a continuous range for all measurements units. One pixel is considered to be equal one point, and a point…

2. save as OR save a copy using artboards does not save separate artboard files at all.

Only export works as expected. But if you want to save each artboard as PDF it does not.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ai artboards all look like someone took an eraser over them.

Ai CC2018. Opening any file sent by my teacher for class, I am the only student in class whose artboard looks like someone took an eraser over it. We've checked for hidden layers, etc. to no avail. I cannot even find the uninstall option to uninstall and reinstall it. Can someone help? I'm running Mac 10.13.2.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cannot paste the artboards because of insufficient space on the canvas

I get this error so often, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I belive it has something to do with guides, but guides are infinite, so they should always (and never) go off the canvas.

Happens when I select an artboard and try to copy/paste

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Select artboard behind

With the latest update if I draw an artboard over an existing one I can only select the larger board. It didn't use to be like this. We used to be able to click each artboard name to select it.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

6. It's 2022. Can we get some glaring, long standing bugs fixed please?

There are long standing user requests for all of these:

• 'Export for Screens' still adds extra pixels on exports unless the artboards are placed to exact pixels

• Artboards can't be moved to snap to exact pixels, meaning if you move artboards you probably have to manually remove any decimal places in the artboard position, or else Illustrator will add extra pixels on export...

• Smart Guides show up when creating or moving artboards, but don't actually work because creating or moving Artboards doesn't snap

• Artboard names will randomly revert back to old names

• In the Export for Screens dialog box,…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Align to Artboard: X and Y position not established within the active artboard

Illustrator CC 22.0.1

Align to Artboard: X and Y position not established within the active artboard but retains the global X and Y position.

When selecting and copying the X position of vertex (A) on active artboard (A), then activating another artboard (B) and selecting vertex (B). When pasting the X position for vertex (A) from artboard (A) to vertex (B) on artboard (B) it pastes the global X position. The previous version retained the local artboard X position when align to artboard was activated. Which is very helpful in maintaining consistency between artboards.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Poor quality images from Export for Screens

Mac OS 10.13.5, Illustrator 22.1

Images from artboards containing embedded raster files output using Export for Screens are of decidedly lower quality than those output from Save for Web. Please see the attached image for a side-by-side comparison. Save for Web is on the left, Explort for Screens on the right. Top images are actual size, bottom enlarged for emphasis. Notice the jaggies in the raster images.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Artboard Tool button crashes Illustrator

I'm trying to put this in the "Illustrator Bugs" category, but the button I have to click says "Post idea". Apologies if this is in the wrong area.

Every time I click the artboard button Illustrator crashes.

I'm using a 2017 iMac
    Illustrator version 22.0.1

I've been having the same problem since the last time I updated Illustrator (several months). Doing research in the trouble shooting forum leads me to believe this has been a problem since October 2017.

No one had posted a solution in the forum.

I spent a while on Adobe's website searching for the appropriate phone …

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Save for Displays: SVG export is extremly slow on Windows

I do have a file with around 100 artboards with simple icons that need to be exported to SVG.

This process is extremly slow on Windows on a decent machine. Every SVG takes about 3sec to save. CPU usage shown AI is running only on Core #2. The same file exports in seconds on my 8 years old Mac.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. All elements disappearing the more I edit. They show in layers panel, but not on artboard or in exports.

I'm working from (an up-to-date version of) an Illustrator file with five differently sized artboards. They all are using the same elements and symbols, just arranged different for different layouts. When I click on one of the artboards and select a group to scale down, the elements begin disappearing and have not reappeared.

I exited the group and more elements in the artboard disappeared. Clicking out of the artboard group itself made the entire group disappear. When I click back into the artboard, selecting an element reveals the outlines and bounding boxes, but the artwork itself is not visible.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Copy/Paste from AI to PS or ID scales object to 1/10

My typical design process involves creating an AI document with multiple artboards, sometimes dozens, so that I can experiment with several options and iterations on those options. With the latest versions of CC, copying a vector object and pasting into either PS or ID ends up scaling that object down to a tenth the size of the original. I've recently been made aware that AI might create a larger pasteboard to accommodate the number of artboards, but I'm unsure why that would have an affect on the scale of a vector object. I keep all my raster and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Pasting symbols now creates unique symbols instead of instances of the original symbol

Copy-pasting a symbol —whether individually or by using the paste to all artboards command — now creates a new symbol instead of creating instances of the original symbol. Alt-dragging the symbol to a new artboard creates a new instance of the original symbol as expected.

This seems to be a new bug, as I can't recall ever having this issue before. Thanks for checking into it!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Symbols  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Export for Screens and Save for Web Anti-Aliases edges of Artwork based on non-round artboard coordinates

In the latest Illustrator, export for screens anti-aliases what should be sharp outer edges of artwork (even though, for example the artwork is in a 1080px x 1080px precisely placed clipping path which is aligned to the 0,0 coordinates of the artboard. I have confirmed that this occurs because the coordinates of artboards were non-round numbers (ex. 56.02 vs 56).

I have not previously experienced this, and regardless, this should be fixed... anti-aliasing should be tied to the artboard the artwork is on, not the position of the artboard on the underlying workspace.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Panels don't open with Application Frame turned off

On MacOS, when Application Frame is turned off, and Window panels (ex: Layers, Artboards, Swatches, etc.) are condensed, the Window panels will not appear when clicked on. They only work if Application Frame is on.

Illustrator 23.0.1
    MacOS 10.14

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Name artboard is not added to the file name when exporting (jpg or png, etc.)

When executing the command "File - Export file as" and exporting, for example, to jpg, the name artboard 3 "preview" is not automatically added to the file name. Everything was fine in the previous version (26.3.1) of Illustrator.

94 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. White text field

White text field in Color Picker and Rearrange all artboards windows.
    Illustrator 25.4.1 - macOS Big Sur

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Data merge doesnt allow data field names that start with a number

Variables panel > Data merge doesnt allow data field names that start with a number and the help site doesnt say this is an issue.

Please update the website to explain data field names can't start with a number.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/data-driven-graphics-templates-variables.html

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Convert to Artboards doesn't work when on the layer exists a repeat grid object

I make a regular rectangle and try to convert it to artboard and get the attached error. If I put that rectangle on another layer, doesn't contain a repeat grid object it works.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Repeats  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Creating n number of characters in layer panel

Creating n number of characters in layer panel after duplication when using the unit as XML

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 37 38
  • Don't see your idea?